Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

The Faceless» Forums » General

Subject: Sharing my idea for harder mode ... numbers along the base of the Faceless rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Breden
United States
Independence
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I just wanted to share my idea with you all about how I plan to implement numbers on the base of the faceless magnets in the game, in order to make everything much more tense, more difficult, and skillful.

I watched Rahdo's Run-Thru and noticed that it seems just too simple that he could move a figure and then rotate it however he liked, all the while watching the compass and seeing how it changed -- until he had it just the way he wanted it. Then in his final thoughts, he complains that the game is too easy ...

So, I thought, why not have numbers along the base of the Faceless figures (maybe 1-8, to correspond to the points of a compass, with ticks in between them for half numbers too ... then, when a player does an effect that moves a Faceless (or the Billygoat Big Bad), they would need to declare 1.)which piece they were moving 2.)to where they were moving it 3.) what number would be FACING a particular direction (either directly into the board, for the Faceless, or directly up or down, for the Billygoat, for example) -- so that the entire final result is decided BEFORE MOVING THEM. Then they are committed to that move, and then they move the piece, and only see the result afterward ..!

I really can see this spicing the game tension and making it rely much more on skillful reading of the situation! Would take this game from a 7 to a 10, for me ... and in fact, I will be printing stickers to do this myself, if the designers don't decide to implement it themselves.

With children or family gamers, this could be completely disregarded, and it would change nothing about the gameplay. For those who are seasoned gamers, who love a great coop challenge, who love tension and surprise ... well, I think this would be brilliant way to play, once the skill levels were up to it.

I just wanted to share the idea here to see how others feel about it, too? The team at Alter-Ego games has been brilliant for communicating with their backers, and they have taken the idea on board and are considering it -- they've said that they may do something with it for an expansion ... maybe we can get some feedback from others here, and with enough support they may decide to simply implement it in general? I LOVE this idea enough to do it myself if I need to, but perhaps I am overlooking something?

Let me know what you think, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myrto Siatra
Greece
Athens
Attica
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a good idea, but as a variant.
I think that the creators have added to the difficulty level of the game, since Radho played it, with the stretch goals already achieved! I consider myself a medium player and I would hate to have to make house-rules to make beating the game achievable! Not to mention playing it with new and less experienced players...
So, as an optional difficulty level, your suggestion seems great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F D
msg tools
Seems to be a great hard variant (with kind of a blind guess of the angle)
Thinking of some other variant (that may completely fail) where the faceless are forced to look at the center of the board (one face or the other) and you choose one face before moving [but it may be too restricting since you remove a lot of positionning and really not fun ]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Breden
United States
Independence
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
berz118 wrote:
Seems to be a great hard variant (with kind of a blind guess of the angle)
Thinking of some other variant (that may completely fail) where the faceless are forced to look at the center of the board (one face or the other) and you choose one face before moving [but it may be too restricting since you remove a lot of positionning and really not fun ]

Yeah, that is why I think 1-8 and even ticks between them (so really, 16 possible positions to be declared -- or even more ticks, like a ruler has, for 32 positions or whatever) would make it much more precise and interesting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Breden
United States
Independence
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgazer wrote:
Sounds like a good idea, but as a variant.
I think that the creators have added to the difficulty level of the game, since Radho played it, with the stretch goals already achieved! I consider myself a medium player and I would hate to have to make house-rules to make beating the game achievable! Not to mention playing it with new and less experienced players...
So, as an optional difficulty level, your suggestion seems great!

Yes, which is why numbers and ticks on the base of figures would not need to be used at all, by those who didn't wish to, no? ... You wouldn't need to make any house rules to make the game beatable -- you simply don't use the numbers in your games until you want to.

For those who crave MORE difficulty, it would always be there, and give the players more longevity to the game even if they 'solved' the base game and its expansions while getting to see how their moves affected the compass before committing. Taking this aspect away, and requiring the calling of numbers for facing before moving the pieces would immediately extend the scope of the possible difficulties that other variations and expansions had added, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I love this idea and will definitely be implementing it for when I desire a more difficult variant. Never would have thought of that so in my mind ,sir, you are a genius! If you create a sticker can you add it to BGG for others to print?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mattia maltesi
msg tools
I totally agree. Great idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Breden
United States
Independence
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whidbey Ghoul wrote:
I love this idea and will definitely be implementing it for when I desire a more difficult variant. Never would have thought of that so in my mind ,sir, you are a genius! If you create a sticker can you add it to BGG for others to print?

I certainly will. But then again, perhaps enough other people will agree that the designers will decide to make stickers, or simply figs with numbers and ticks already on them, for us ..?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Korvin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I Like your idea very much to make the game more difficult. I was already a Bit afraid that the game could become too easy after you have figured out the system after some Games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

Couldn't the same effect be more easily accomplished by simply placing a hood over the compass before moving the Faceless? No need for any additional markings or player declarations. A bit of extra drama too, when the hood is removed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Breden
United States
Independence
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, this is a quite simple and useful solution! Much easier to do, yes. It might limit the precision of some effects that say, for example, to "rotate ab figure by X degrees" ... but yes, this could have the result we want without worrying about that level of precision! Great!

Highland Cow wrote:

Couldn't the same effect be more easily accomplished by simply placing a hood over the compass before moving the Faceless? No need for any additional markings or player declarations. A bit of extra drama too, when the hood is removed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mattia maltesi
msg tools
Highland Cow wrote:

That's a very good idea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
GLOOOOOOOOOOOOOMHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!
badge
maybe on the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one....
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:

+1! Very nice idea, indeed. If the designers would consider this to be integrated into the campaign somehow, they could create a children-group mini which could serve as a "hood" for the compass during those actions.
(It somehow bugs me, that the own mini is just the compass, but the compass holder makes it already look much nicer!

I also worry a bit about the game being a bit too easy for our tastes, but I backed it nonetheless, because I see that the stretch goals add some more variability and difficulty and because the idea with the compass is just SO COOL, I just have to support it !
And ideas like this make it even more difficult, which is also nice...

Maye you could introduce other pieces of metal (barriers) on the board to shield the magnetic field from certain areas, but I don't know if it would enhance the gameplay or create interesting situations...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Highland Cow wrote:

Brilliant solution! +1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Sommavilla
msg tools
Highland Cow wrote:

+ 1!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:

+1 for the hood!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.