Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Herbst
United States
Sayville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am keeping score for a series of replay games and I'm looking for advice on how to handle the following situation. This has nothing to do with the actual play of Strat-o-matic but rather how to record certain outs.

When there are already two outs and at least a runner on first and the batter hits a ground ball A, how should one record the out? If it were a one-out or no-out situation and a ground ball A were hit to the shortstop for example it would simply be a 6-4-3 double play. If there is only one out needed however, it seems that the shortstop could throw to second base or first. My general sense from decades of watching MLB baseball is that both options are fairly frequent depending on the speed of the runners etc. It seems that 6-4 or 6-3 are possible options. Of course, this is not exactly terribly important but I feel like it would be good to have a go-to system for recording these outs. I was thinking on perhaps recording the out at second unless the runner has a running speed of 1-12 or higher or some similar solution. Any opinions on how to best handle this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Put a coin heads-up next to the field.

When the situation arises, record it as g6-4. Flip the coin.

When the situation arises again, record it as g6-3. Flip the coin.

Heads the throw is to second base, tails it's to first.

Repeat, rinse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Russell
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless your keeping track of Assists and Put Outs I don't think it really matters. Record it how ever you want. Darrell's method is as good an any. I would just roll a d6 odd 6-4, even 6-3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Rodrick
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or maybe just generalize from the hitters tendencies and handedness. A right handed pull hitter is 6-3 but a left handed pull hitter is 4-3 and so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Herbst
United States
Sayville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some good suggestions. Thanks.

It's not that I'm recording assists and put-outs per se but I am keeping notebooks full of games and just wanted to be more consistent in the methods that I was using to record the outs. The topic has led me to wonder about the statistical breakdown of such situations in the MLB though. For instance the solutions suggested would put things at a 50/50 rate. I have no idea if that's close to the actual breakdown or not (my gut tells me the fielder would go to the closest base more often on a sharp roundball (groundball A). No doubt that information on the MLB is available somewhere but I can't easily find it (in two minutes of googling at least).

I realize how small and unimportant this issue is even in the context of my fictional baseball replays (which are pretty inconsequential in themselves of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
V B
Ukraine
Kyiv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I use next records for situation with two outs and runner on 1st:
gb(p)A - 1-4 for RHB, 1-6 for LHB
gb(1b)A - 3-6
gb(2b)A - 4-6
gb(3b)A - 5-4
gb(ss)A - 6-4

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.