Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Sessions

Subject: The Doom Patrol - Part XI (Spoilers) - All Scenarios at Level 7 Difficulty rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Watkins
msg tools
Prosperity 3.5, Reputation -5 (+1 cost on all purchases). First steps, Jekserah's Plans, Dark Bounty, A Map to Treasure. City Rule: Militaristic, The Dead Invade, The Power of Enhancement, End of the Invasion, Ancient Technology (I). Level 4 brute, level 4 cragheart, level 9 mindthief, level 9 scoundrel.

For the start of this session, we had brute, mindthief, and scoundrel.

C23b had us all starting the next scenario with a bless. Everyone purchased two more blessings, bringing us to three each. On our way back to s9, Diamond Mine, we ran into r04b. This gained us 10 gold each and lowered our reputation by 2 to -7.

The hounds basically did some retaliation damage. Between scoundrel's Long Con disarming three of them on the opening move and mindthief's usual control, the hounds didn't get to do much. Scoundrel opened the door to the second room, prepared to use a cloak of invisibility. But the vermlings were simply moving and looting while the merciless overseer ordered them to do it again. So scoundrel traipsed forward a few paces and stood in a nice open space. The vermlings obliged by surrounding her. The bottom action of Visage of the Inevitable was used to poison all six vermlings surrounding scoundrel. Two consecutive turns of Long Con (brought back by stamina potions) and a bonus bottom attack dispatched five of the six. A null was drawn both times for the sixth (elite) vermling. Merciless overseer charged forward to melee and quickly ended up surrounded by walls, characters, loot, and a summons. We put him down, meandered around picking up all the loot, and then the brute picked up the goal treasure chest. Mindthief picked up her twelfth check mark, adding one rolling disarm and one rolling muddle to her combat deck. Scoundrel picked up her twelfth check mark as well, adding two rolling pierce 3 cards to her deck.

[Insert big break here while we switched campaigns and played Capital Intrigue Scenario 3 on difficulty 2 with another player that had shown up. Mindthief went home after that, but brute and scoundrel were up for another scenario after getting some late night grub]

Back in Gloomhaven, Brute made it to 5th level, selecting Skirmishing Maneuver and removed two -1 combat cards from his deck. He also purchased boots of striding and minor healing potion for 34 gold. Scoundrel completed Pounds of Flesh (kill fifteen Vermlings) and retired. This unlocked inox berserker. C45, r45, c36, and r36 were added to their germane event decks, which were shuffled. Scoundrel sold all her gear, enhanced the top of Long Con with +1 attack, enhanced the top of Duelist's Advance with +1 move, and donated to the sanctuary of the great oak one last time. The prosperity generated from Domi's retirement brought Gloomhaven to 4.0 which added new wares to the market. Town records book opened up s72, Oozing Grove.

Enter Ursula the inox berserker. She started at level 4 with 75 gold. She chose the Aberrant Slayer retirement goal. The level 2, 3, and 4 ability cards she chose were Break the Chains, Fatal Fury, and Shiny Distraction. C07a made us gain a reputation, bringing us to -6. Just because we've played a heck of a lot of Gloomhaven doesn't mean we know all the outcomes of event cards. Our quest for -20 reputation seems to be a long one given our ineptitude at guessing event results. Brute complained that he had just paid a 2 gold surcharge for his items and now the price increase was back to 1. Tough luck, buddy. One never knows whether the prices are going up or down. Berserker purchased second skin, minor stamina potion, and major healing potion for a combined cost of 73 gold. Given one retirement, berserker was entitled to four perquisites (one free, three for levels 2, 3, & 4). She removed two -1 cards, removed four +0 cards, replaced one -1 card with one +1 card, and replaced one +0 card with one rolling +2 card. Second skin removed the remaining two -1 combat cards, leaving Ursula with a pretty mean combat deck out the gate. Given berserker's retirement goal, an offensive build rather than a defensive build was emphasized.

On our way to s10, Plane of Elemental Power, r65 gave us +2 reputation, bringing us to -4. Guessed wrong again. In the first room, berserker used Glass Hammer to obliterate one flame demon and followed up with Fatal Fury on the second turn to snuff the other flame demon. Brute looked on in awe and picked up a loot.

Berserker ended up snuffing every flame demon in the place with Fatal Fury while piling random damage onto the earth demons and sun demons. But she exhausted in the final room, leaving brute to stand alone against the remaining elite earth demon and normal sun demon. He did fine though, fighting a running battle towards the far end of the room. He managed to pop open t11, which allowed Gloomhaven's craftsmen to begin crafting dampening rings. Brute carried the day, nearing exhaustion, but prevailing. We did not have high hopes of winning this scenario with a level 5 brute and a level 4 berserker, but we were pleasantly surprised. Berserker only managed to kill flame demons though, so not much progress was made toward her retirement goal.

Prosperity 4.0, Reputation -4 (+1 cost on all purchases). First steps, Jekserah's Plans, Dark Bounty, A Map to Treasure, A Demon's Errand. City Rule: Militaristic, The Dead Invade, The Power of Enhancement, End of the Invasion, Ancient Technology (I). Level 5 brute, level 4 cragheart, level 9 mindthief, level 4 berserker.

Brute, BRUTUS - Level 5. 245 xp. 151 gold. 2 check marks. Remove two -1 cards, add one +3 card, add one rolling stun, ignore negative item effects and add one +1 card. Juggernaut, Hook and Chain, Unstoppable Charge, Skirmishing Maneuver. Poison dagger, minor stamina potion, necklace of teeth, heater shield, major healing potion, chainmail, minor healing potion, boots of striding. 7 of 12 donations toward retirement.

Cragheart, Hopefull Stone - Level 4. 179 xp. 52 gold. 3 check marks. Ignore negative item effects, replace two -1 cards with two +1 cards, ignore negative scenario effects. Explosive punch, Blunt Force, Rock Slide. Minor stamina potion, war hammer, boots of striding, hide armor, iron helmet, minor healing potion, minor power potion, flea-bitten shawl. 1 of 4 boss scenarios defeated toward retirement.

Mindthief, Ryad - Level 9. 500+ xp (player isn't tracking xp anymore). 113 gold. 12 check marks. Remove four -1 cards, remove four +0 cards, replace two +1 cards with +2 cards, replace one -2 card with one +0 card, add two +2 frost cards, add four rolling +1 cards, add rolling stun, add one rolling disarm and one rolling muddle, ignore negative scenario effects. Empathic Assault (+strengthen/b), Perverse Edge (+darkness/b, +range/b), Scurry (+1 move/t & +darkness/t) Hostile Takeover, Brain Leech, Cranium Overload, Pilfer, Corrupting Embrace, Dark Frenzy, Shared Nightmare, Phantasmal Killer. Minor stamina potion, cloak of invisibility, war hammer, minor healing potion, major power potion, boots of striding, empowering talisman, minor mana potion, frigid blade. 12 check marks of 15 toward retirement.

Berserker, Ursula - Level 4. 178 xp. 8 gold. 1 check mark. Remove two -1 cards, remove four +0 cards, replace one -1 card with one +1 card, replace one +0 card with one rolling -2 card. Break the Chains, Fatal Fury, Shiny Distraction. Second skin, minor stamina potion, major healing potion. 1 of 6 demon types toward retirement.

Scenario Win-Loss Record
S01 1-4
S02 1-1
S03 1-1
S04 1-2
S05 1-0
S06 1-2
S08 0-1
S09 2-0
S10 1-0
S12 1-0
S14 1-0
S18 1-0
S71 1-2
S76 0-2
S82 1-1

Retired Characters
Player Character Class Level Perks
Rob Watkins Domi Scoundrel 9 12

Scoundrel: 3/Duelist's Advance (+move/t), 6/Burning Oil (+disarm/t), 9/Long Con (+attack/t)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slawomir Stankowski
Poland
PoznaƄ
Wielkopolska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice read.
I would suggest replacing class names with symbols to avoid some minor spoilers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Marney
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Always interesting to read about a party which developed totally differently from ours. At this point in the campaign, we had 4 retirements, no one had reached level 7, and Lightning was best buddies with Sun, Cthulhu and Tinkerer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Watkins
msg tools
SlawoS wrote:
Nice read.
I would suggest replacing class names with symbols to avoid some minor spoilers

I put the (Spoilers) tag in the header. Class spoilers seem relatively minor compared to retirement goals, scenarios, treasure chest contents, event descriptions, class ability cards, town records contents, strategy thoughts, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Watkins
msg tools
Robyrt wrote:
Always interesting to read about a party which developed totally differently from ours. At this point in the campaign, we had 4 retirements, no one had reached level 7, and Lightning was best buddies with Sun, Cthulhu and Tinkerer.

This campaign has developed completely differently from any of the other campaigns I have been in. When one starts out the gate facing level 7 difficulty monsters, the game changes. I do not think we drew particularly forgiving retirement goals for this setting.

Cragheart needs to defeat four different boss scenarios. It took us a while to even beat scenario #1, let along four bosses. He notched credit on scenario 2's boss, but he hasn't been around for s9 or s11b. I tried to hold off for him, but he probably isn't available until June.

Mindthief needs to earn 15 check marks from personal goals. The difficulty with that is one needs to actually win a scenario to earn a check mark. It took us a while to win our first scenario. She's level 9 with only a few check marks to go now that we've broken loose from the initial hell of everything having a zillion hit points. Instant kill abilities (even on just normals) is a game changer.

Scoundrel needed to kill 15 vermlings. It took us a few months to even find a vermling in a scenario. It was pretty easy to retire after we found some vermlings. She still made level 9 while looking. One gets 18 bonus experience points when one actually wins a level 7 difficulty scenario. It is pretty easy to level if you are earning +18 xp a run.

Brute has a great retirement goal in the face of extremely difficult scenarios. Just donate to the sanctuary of the great oak a bunch of times. Given loots are worth 6 gold each, it is trivial to donate even when losing. Brute joined us midstream after we'd already garnered some success, but he is progressing quickly through his retirement goal.

For where we are at in the campaign, I think my new berserker has a fairly trivial retirement goal; kill all six demon types. I think we've run into them all, but sometimes I conflate the different campaigns I am in. Let's see.. earth, flame, and sun are in the one I just played with the brute. Frost demons are in Frozen Hollow. Wind demons are in s4, I think it is... the first crypt. Failing that, they are definitely in the windswept highlands. I know I fought night demons with mindthief, the scenario that looks like an X. Maybe s6? I'm guessing on that one. Killing them versus trying to win the scenario poses additional hurdles. I only managed to kill flame demons with the brute. None of the sun demons or earth demons fell to my blade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.