1846: The Race for the Midwest» Forums » General

Subject: Complete game in 45 minutes, 46.73 seconds rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
I wrote last year about our attempt to play a game of 1846 in 46 minutes; we fell just short, finishing in 48 minutes, 1.91 seconds.

This year (our first attempt since), we managed to meet our goal, finishing in 45 minutes, 46.73 seconds (not counting setup or cleanup).

As a practical matter, I'm not convinced a consistent 46 minute game is reasonable, but I do think we could manage sub-hour games regularly, when needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lychenus
msg tools
is this something even worth bragging? oh did you see that 20 second monopoly game, its so stronk!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Ehh, I'm told the Berliners play 1835 in 45 minutes (not necessarily a smaller game), Joe did 1846 in 46 minutes... Getting a rational and undistorted game played within a tight time limit is a neat and not so easy thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Hunt
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BrenoK wrote:
Maybe they'll add a boardgame category to speedrunning games

This brings to mind a movie scene I've often seen but never understood. Two guys are playing chess with a clock by the board. Every time a guy makes a move, he reaches over and SLAMS his hand down on the top of the clock, apparently starting the timer running on his opponent's move.

I'm no chess fan, but what is the point of that setup? Chess isn't normally timed, so what's the point of adding a timer to the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tournament chess is virtually always timed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
lynnech wrote:
is this something even worth bragging?

Joe is not bragging (I know him, and he doesn't brag.) He's just reporting on the outcome of one of his wacky undertakings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
A man, a plan:
badge
Anal Panama
mbmbmbmbmb
DSHStratRat2 wrote:
I'm no chess fan, but what is the point of that setup? Chess isn't normally timed, so what's the point of adding a timer to the game?

If you don't time chess, "Analysis Paralysis" might set in very quickly, which would lead to very long games which aren't really interesting to watch.

Also, having to make quick decisions and being able to do this adds another skill to chess than just plain abstract strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chess and AA meetings are better with timers imo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GamerIn China
China
Jiangmen
Guangdong
flag msg tools
Could you give us details about how this was achieved? Was the whole thing being tracked on a spreadsheet? If so, how many ORs did you run through at the end without significant decision making. Did you give everyone time limits? How many people were playing? How was victory achieved?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oedipussy Rex
msg tools
Pfft. I've been in games of 1830 that were done in under 30, from setup to bankruptcy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Adultman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.jasonbegy.com
badge
http://www.jasonbegy.com
mbmbmbmbmb
OedipussyRex wrote:
Pfft. I've been in games of 1830 that were done in under 30, from setup to bankruptcy.

Pfft. Lots of endeavors end quickly when an involved party does something really dumb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OedipussyRex wrote:

Bankruptcy does not trigger the end of the game in 1846.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oedipussy Rex
msg tools
afafard wrote:
OedipussyRex wrote:

Bankruptcy does not trigger the end of the game in 1846.

I am aware. This is a case of verbal irony. I am expressing how impressed I am through understatement. Allow me to elucidate. With the opening "Pfft," I am expressing a dismissive attitude toward huber's group's accomplishment. This dismissive attitude is further supported by claims of the greater accomplishment of finishing games (multiple, not singular) of a different title in less time. I then completely undermine the stated premise with the introduction the means of this supposed greater accomplishment: bankruptcy, a very common occurrence in 1830 with different results than 1846. How does one seriously conflate two disparate results? One does not. Therefore the stated premise must not be the intended premise, but instead the opposite must be what is being conveyed. And this last bit is the very definition of irony.

tldr: It was a joke, son.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oedipussy Rex
msg tools
Jasonbartfast wrote:
OedipussyRex wrote:

Pfft. Lots of endeavors end quickly when an involved party does something really dumb.

I'd argue that someone not going bankrupt in 1830 is really dumb. After the train rush you're just in for a one to three hour slog of a not very fun endgame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jasonbartfast wrote:
OedipussyRex wrote:

We had a game of 18OH recently which was, from setup to completely determined winner, done in perhaps 5 minutes. These things happen when a player sufficiently screws the company auction to effectively just give all of their initial capital to another player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DSHStratRat2 wrote:
BrenoK wrote:
Maybe they'll add a boardgame category to speedrunning games

This brings to mind a movie scene I've often seen but never understood. Two guys are playing chess with a clock by the board. Every time a guy makes a move, he reaches over and SLAMS his hand down on the top of the clock, apparently starting the timer running on his opponent's move.

You have 5 minutes to make all your moves. If you exceed that time, a flag goes up and you lose the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Frantz
United States
Wenatchee
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jasonbartfast wrote:
OedipussyRex wrote:

That's what she said...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lychenus
msg tools
clearclaw wrote:
Jasonbartfast wrote:
OedipussyRex wrote:

We had a game of 18OH recently which was, from setup to completely determined winner, done in perhaps 5 minutes. These things happen when a player sufficiently screws the company auction to effectively just give all of their initial capital to another player.

if game time was in such standard, i would argue that playing 1846 for more than 15 minutes would be too long and wrong. and such scenario in 1846 does not need to be constructed, instead it happens all the times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
HowardDavid95 wrote:
Could you give us details about how this was achieved? Was the whole thing being tracked on a spreadsheet? If so, how many ORs did you run through at the end without significant decision making. Did you give everyone time limits? How many people were playing? How was victory achieved?

Certainly...

We tracked payouts for each set of ORs on a spreadsheet.

How many ORs ran without significant decision making depends upon definitions, but about half of the companies were still improving routes in the final OR.

No time limits were given.

Three players.

It is hard to say exactly how victory was achieved, as there were a combination of factors. The PRR, combined with Michigan Southern, Tunnel Blasting, and the Mail Contract, ran consistently well, while NYC missed out on a brown train, and IC took longer to build up steam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did PRR start with only $120 then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GamerIn China
China
Jiangmen
Guangdong
flag msg tools
Thanks a lot, Joe!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
Eric Brosius wrote:
Did PRR start with only $120 then?

No, the Mail Contract dropped to $40, so $160. Floated at $80.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hint to players: Don't let Joe get the Mail Contract for $40. (Or were you playing so fast that your opponents didn't have time to pull their wallets out of their pockets?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Johnson
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
The amusing thing is that many people might read Joe's post and think this means they played stupidly fast/badly just to finish...

As someone who regularly plays with these guys, several of them are capable of amazingly deep rapid/parallel processing.

Similar to how a Chess Master/Grand-master can near instantly determine the best move in many chess games, while mere mortals must ponder to play even half-way well.

BTW - the "slam hand on chess clock" earlier statement. There is a *variant* of chess called "Blitz" where each player gets only 5 minutes TOTAL to play the entire game and running out of time is an instant loss. When one is playing Blitz Chess, there is a tendency to slap the clock to save a second or two on every move.

P.S. I'm a mere mortal and find my comfort zone for 1846 is more like 2-3 hours, not <= 60 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oedipussy Rex
msg tools
Korval wrote:
BTW - the "slam hand on chess clock" earlier statement. There is a *variant* of chess called "Blitz" where each player gets only 5 minutes TOTAL to play the entire game and running out of time is an instant loss. When one is playing Blitz Chess, there is a tendency to slap the clock to save a second or two on every move.

Blitz goes as low as 3 minutes. Then you get into the Bullet matches. Typically 1 minute, but 30 and even 15 second matches aren't uncommon. Bullet is better played online where the computer takes care of clock. Real men (and women, of course) play bullet without the Fischer clock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.