Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Bower
United States
Springfied
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does placing your first piece count as your first turn or is that part of setup?

I always assumed it was move #1, but playing on Boardgamearena, it seems to count as setup there.

I ask so I know when exactly my queen must be played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve always considered it turn 1. I’ve never played online, though, so I can’t comment about any specific implementation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
JuggaloNinja wrote:
Does placing your first piece count as your first turn or is that part of setup?

I always assumed it was move #1, but playing on Boardgamearena, it seems to count as setup there.

Interesting question! I thought the answer was "obviously" that the first placement is your first turn, but looking at the rulebook now, it is indeed not 100% clear.

"Play begins with one player placing a piece... and the next player joining a piece... Players then take turns..." could be interpreted to mean that the "turns" begin after the initial setup.

Arguably "players continue taking turns" would have been clearer better wording, instead of "players then take turns".

(The setup indeed does not follow the normal rules of placement during a turn, i.e. the setup violates that as a placement during a turn you must place next to a friendly piece and not next to an enemy piece.)

I'm still betting that the initial placement is your first turn, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghorron
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Placing your first piece is your first turn.
The rules just lays out the first turn of each player explicitly, because they violate the usual placement rules (1st player places a lone piece, 2nd player places a piece adjecent to an enemy piece).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.