Subject: Chassepot and Range rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thierry Aradan
France
ASSAS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am really surprised by the French infantry fire range in this game.

The Chassepot was better than its Prussian counterpart, but (according to the French military museum data) its effective range was about 350 yards.
In games like CWB, LoB and Blind Swords, rifle’s « extended » range is about 450 yards, and effective range closer to 150-200 yards.

Here, we have an effective range of 1000 yards, and an extreme range of 2000 yards…
Even in “Position Magnifique” the range doesn’t extend that far… (respectively 1000 and 1500)

I suspect that this is a design for effect decision, and I would appreciate any insight on the rationale behind this.

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly, Thierry - bottomline is that it is indeed a "design for effect" thing.

There are many different max/effective ranges given for the Chassepot, depending on the parameters used for measuring that kind of thing, etc. and what source you use. But essentially we're talking about double the max/effective ranges of the Prussian Dreyse Needlegun. Since we're dealing with 500-yard hexes and wanting to get a two-hex max range for the Dreyse in the game (which can shoot out to about 600 yards), that put the Chassepot at four hexes max. Now keep in mind that the Chassepot could reach that far in ideal conditions and the French soldiers would sometimes shoot into the air to increase the arc and thus the range of the weapon. Add that to the fact that we have a one-hour turn, so units can actually be moving to-and-fro within a hex and thus realistically in and out of range over the course of a game turn, and I got to the point design-wise that I wanted to reflect that vastly superior reach of the Chassepot over the Prussian rifle in real game terms.

I hope that makes sense. Thanks for the terrific question!
Herm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thierry Aradan
France
ASSAS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HORST324 wrote:
Thanks for the terrific question!

And thank you for your fast reply which perfectly makes sense

I really like the Blind Swords system, and I'm glad to see it ported to this theater.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My pleasure and thanks for the support! I am so pleased that you enjoy the system. Hopefully more to come.

Herm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Lewis
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Q & A, Thierry and Herm!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Terry - very fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Heimann
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
What are some other Blind Swords games?

I just finished absorbing the rule book and am excited to play this unique system.

Thanks.
T
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Thomas!
The other Blind Swords games are the two currently available from Revolution Games ... "Stonewall's Sword" and "Thunder in the Ozarks". The third game will be available at the end of May and is titled "Longstreet Attacks". These are all American Civil War games and are more tactical than At Any Cost - they are regimental scale and the hexes are about 150 yards across.

Soon I'll start work on the followup game to At Any Cost, which will be on the Battle of Koniggratz in 1866 and is tentatively entitled "The Jaws of Victory".

Thanks!
Herm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Burns
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koniggratz? Niiiiiiiiiice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobi Wagner
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
great, sounds like an autobuy, since there`s much fewer competitor games for those european battles than there are for ACW. Will it be from GMT, as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Tobi and yes, this will be a GMT game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.