Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: Increasing Mobility rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Goodhart
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
I imagine there was reason behind making movement so limited, but there are times when I wish I could move units more often without having to pickup a factory card for the double move.

My idea is to allow a single non-combat movement with any worker or your character (possibly mechs/airships) whenever you select one of the 3 non-move actions...If mechs/airships can be moved in this way, I think they shouldn't be allowed to bring workers with them. It is truly only a single movement for a single figure on every action except the move action.

The move action would still be useful though, as it allows you to move more units, mechs/airships with workers, and move mechs/characters in a way that initiates combat. Plus there's the related bottom row action to use.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any mobility boosts to Scythe? Something to get things "moving", and help you get back into the fray if you lose a combat and have to retreat.

I'd love to hear other people's thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lind
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Use
Mines close to home to move to tunnels
Teleport with traps and flags
Chrimea special ability to move to home spaces
Rusviet village/factory, and using move 2+ times in a row
Saxony tunnel/somethingsomething
Polania submarine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Thunarf
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
Oh, I would have accepted the leprosy alone; but not leprosy and eroticism together, oh no, for the love of God, erotic leprosy?
mbmbmbmbmb
marcuslind1 wrote:
Saxony tunnel/somethingsomething

Just to clarify Marcus reply, "somethingsomething" should be read as "mountains". :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lind
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgot:
Nordic retreat to lakes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Labrecque
msg tools
mb
I would just like to add, welcome to Euro gaming, where +1 of anything is immensely powerful and you shall forever wish you had just....one....more....action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Marney
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Better movement is one of the key reasons to go for the factory. A lot of factory cards are worse than your basic actions already, so the tight movement restrictions help keep it interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Garvens
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
OW!
badge
Suuuuuuuperrrrr!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think everybody wishes they had a little bit more movement, or another turn or what have you. But adding extra moves takes away from the strategy. As it is you have to kind of carefully plan out where you move what pieces and in what order in order to do what you want. If suddenly you can easily do double moves and/or are quickly able to recover from combat then it becomes less of a choice. You can do two things at once, or that combat result is no longer as important because you can just sprint back out.

You also have to consider that this means that other players can do it as well. If you win a combat you might find yourself face to face with the mech you just beat the next turn. You might be thinking to use your speed to get to an encounter only to find out that your opponents beat you to it.

In the end though it's really hard to say how things will shake out until you playtest it. Games require a lot of playtesting before they go up for sale (at least if you want them to be good) so it should be no surprise to you that Stonemaier pretty extensively tested this. I'm willing to bet they tinkered with more movement as well and it was determined that the current method worked the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dan michalowski
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
This is so funny, I had this exact same idea, except the movement would only be allowed for workers. The issue with being able to move combat units every turn is that you can seriously mess up attack plans of your opponents. Part of the combat planning is knowing that your opponent cannot move ANYTHING if they moved the turn previous. I think that element of foresight regarding combat is both important and interesting. Getting the hang of planning movement is probably one of the biggest learning humps for new players though, its one of the more tedious aspect of the game tbh.

Actually, I thought this would be a really cool faction ability if there was another opportunity to add a faction to the game somehow. (wheres Jamey? )

And if that were too powerful of an ability, simply being able to move an additional worker every time you take the move action would be probably good enough.

TIP:
Step 1: Build a mine on your encounter token in your home base area.
Step 2: Deploy a speed mech.
Step 3: Get all the encounter tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Slade
msg tools
mbmb
Once you unlock speed and upgrade movement you can move 3 units 2 hexes and your mechs can pick up and carry unlimited number of workers so I don't feel like limited movement is really an issue in Scythe.

Particularly with tunnels and mines allowing you to teleport all over the board. Then there is always your factory card for a triple movement if you want as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Goodhart
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
So, I probably should have disclosed that I've only played 2 games of Scythe (one 2 player, and one 6 player). So my experience is very limited.

Reading everyone's response has given me some ideas though. Thanks for the feedback everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.