Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benoit Bannier
France
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Sisters, brothers, I’ve been taking care of our great tribe for 5 decades. The gods had me looking after my people for all of my man’s life. My path is coming to an end. The time has come for your Neta-Tanka to step down in favor of a brave young chief. This is why I’m asking every tribe to gather at the bottom of the Great Mountain, where the holy river rolls, to attend the ritual that will name the new Neta-Tanka.
But if you want to be a part of it, let me first remind you the main principles of this ritual.

Note: Neta-Tanka is a game designed by RV Rigal, illustrated by Quentin Regnes. The game will be available on Kickstarter at the end of May or early June 2018. This will be our 4th Kickstarter campaign. This article is the first of 3 that will present different aspects of the game and the project!

The mainboard overview

The Tribe before anything else!

In Neta-Tanka you play the role of a young chief who must prove his capacity to protect the Tribe by accumulating generosity points during the game. To do so, you’ll have to feed your Tribe, build tents to shelter them, erect the highest totem, or craft handmade objects.

For these tasks, you’ll need resources (as in any worker placement game). However, unlike other strategy games, the resources won’t be “naturally” available on the board.

A player can’t take a resource if another player did not bring it on the board first. So, you can’t collect any wood if no one went and cut it. If nobody went hunting you won’t have access to any meat or hide.

As an example, let’s go to the Forest:

If a player goes to the Forest to cut wood (making 3 woods and 1 mushroom pop on the board) then the other players will be able to collect wood on other action spots. The player who cut wood wins 1 generosity point for helping the Tribe, but doesn’t take any resource.

You can still collect resources, in low quantity, without doing a Generosity action (that brings resources for everybody) but the main way to have resources available in Neta-Tanka is to help the whole Tribe through the Forest and Hunting actions.

I know it may sometimes be difficult to do actions of absolute generosity, that’s why the elders (interesting action spots on the board) will automatically send you to the forest or to the hunting ground for the next turn. Young chiefs always need mentors!

For example, Forest Elder’s will force the player to go and cut wood in the next turn. This is symbolized on the board by small footprints from one place to another.

Helping each other to go further

As i said, resources don’t naturally pop on the board in Neta-Tanka (except at the first turn). Moreover, you’ll sometimes need to perform a certain action to unlock another one.
If you want meat, it doesn’t grow on trees (as a young chief may know); an animal who gave his life for the Tribe must be cut up to separate the meat and the hide.
So, to have food available at the Smokehouse action spot, a Nomad (you or another player) must have gone to the Tanner action spot to collect the hide. But in order to have an animal to tan, another Nomad must have gone to the hunting ground first to bring an animal to the Tribe.

Therefore, the whole Tribe’s harmony, and the actions available to you, all depend on the collective effort and the links between the different action spots on the board.

Respecting the natural order

A game of Neta-Tanka is played around 5 to 10 turns (depending on the number of players). Each turn is divided into two steps:

-First, the players send their Nomads on the board, 1 by 1.

-Second, in turn order, the players activate all their nomads to do the actions they’re standing on.

As a young pretender you may have trouble perceiving the impact of these two steps on your actions. There is nothing like a good example to enlighten you.

Let’s say you need meat. Someone must have skinned an animal that another one has hunted beforehand.
But you will only get the meat at the smokehouse if all the other necessary actions have been activated before your turn.
As you send your nomads one by one and then activate everybody at once, you’ll need to plan your actions very carefully, taking into account the turn order during the first step.

In this first picture, if Green plays before Red, Red will get the meat:
Green hunts, then Green skins the animal, and Red gets the remaining meat.

In this second picture, Green is supposed to skin the animal whereas Red hasn’t hunted yet (so Green fails his action). Then Red hunts but can’t gather any food as nobody skinned the freshly caught animal. In this case, Red and Green have been terrible chiefs and forgot to take into account the turn order!

I deliberately chose a striking example. Following the action spots, the turn order will be more or less crucial. Yet, be sure to always consider who is playing before you when making your choices.

Something in the way…

Every action spot in Neta-Tanka is linked to many others via different paths. These paths contains what we call “links”.

Consequently, when two of your Nomads are on both sides of a path you can take advantage of the link effect.

For example, the action spot for collecting wood gives you 2 woods from the Forest if someone else previously cut it (cf. The Tribe before anything else!). But if you can link this spot with the Forest Elder’s (I will tell you more about Elders in another article), you will be able to take 1 more wood with your action!

So, be sure to also have an eye on these possible links anytime you’re placing your Nomads.

Now that you know how to get the resources to prove your worth, I will tell you in a next article what you can do with these resources to help the Tribe. I will explain how to build tents, erect totems, craft objects and feed your Tribe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaganishu Khan
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
I like the look of the board Interested to see where this is going!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Dimanarig
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really really interested now! When will we see the next part of the guide?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit Bannier
France
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
WhiteHairedKon wrote:
I'm really really interested now! When will we see the next part of the guide?

Thank you!

I think in the first days of May
The next steps will explain all the scoring ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Schmid
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great first impression.
Thank you for sharing.
Very interesitng concept of the interlockedsteps of ressource production and processing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odysseus X
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Just heard about this game today. Reading about it is very exciting! I hope the kickstarter is very successful. And I hope the price is reasonable =) But I love the twist to the worker placement mechanic. This seems like it has potential to be a real thinky one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Correa
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
I love the concept of doing actions for the greater good of the tribe, even if it helps other players. And I really like the idea of linking 2 actions to increase your productivity on a turn.

Super excited for this one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.