Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Just in case you really have not gotten the point by now.

Quote:
Dozens of white Republicans voted Tuesday to financially punish the majority-black city of Memphis for the legal removal of monuments honoring a Confederate soldier, the president of the Confederacy and the first Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan.

The statues — one of Nathan Bedford Forrest (a former Confederate general and KKK leader), another of Jefferson Davis (the first and only president of the Confederate States of America) and a third honoring a Confederate soldier — were removed from city parks in the dark of night nearly four months ago. The monuments had been the target of protests and inspired the #TakeEmDown901 initiative founded and led by activist Tami Sawyer. But a state law prevented the city from removing the monuments. Until they found a legal loophole, selling the two public parks containing the statues to a nonprofit, which promptly removed them.

https://www.nashvillescene.com/news/pith-in-the-wind/article...

Carrying on a "proud" tradition of the GOP not giving a damn about African American voters dating back to the Goldwater campaign. Something they never recovered from, and something apparently they don't care about. Apparently just caring about their white nationalist base, this time on a state level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Robinson
United Kingdom
Barrow in Furness
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lets punish them for removing a statue of a traitor who took up arms against the United States and was responsible for the deaths of US servicemen.......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan" seriously?

I really wonder why these statues are not having 'accidents' in massive numbers now that folks know how flimsy the statues really are (basically bronze balloons full of air).

Yes, I know it's illegal. But, the law in this case is heinous so I'm surprised someone pissed off and mildly intoxicated hasn't done something yet.

Maybe the people on the street where the statues are really don't care or dislike the statues and it only matters to local leadership trying to attract businesses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

GEE I WONDER WHY DEMOCRATS GET 95% OF THE BLACK VOTE.

It's crazy. It's a mystery. I don't understand. Don't they know Lincoln and Eisenhower were Republicans??? They must be ignorant and/or deceived by the liberal media!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See, this is the thing that really drives me nuts (and this is some bitchy hypocritical virtue signaling coming in).

These are the same people who got like, super fucking offended about that coke ad where the national anthem was sung in different languages. Like, what the fuck, really? Somehow honoring (from the perspective of an American) traitorous rebels who were soundly beaten is more kosher than a representation of America's supposed melting pot identity? And these same people are the kind who get upset over people flying Mexican flags at their home and all that shit.

Fuck straight off, for real.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
AndrewRogue wrote:
See, this is the thing that really drives me nuts (and this is some bitchy hypocritical virtue signaling coming in).

These are the same people who got like, super fucking offended about that coke ad where the national anthem was sung in different languages. Like, what the fuck, really? Somehow honoring (from the perspective of an American) traitorous rebels who were soundly beaten is more kosher than a representation of America's supposed melting pot identity? And these same people are the kind who get upset over people flying Mexican flags at their home and all that shit.

Fuck straight off, for real.

But, but it’s part of our history!

Cherish it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also a typical example of the GOP strongly supporting taking action at the local level, except when the local level does something they don't like in which case bring on the state or bring on the feds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Extra "fun" facts. The Nathan Bedford Forrest statue went up in 1904 at the height of Jim Crow laws, but the Jefferson Davis statue went up in 1964 during the struggle for civil rights in the South. Anyone thinking these monuments were celebrating "history" are really too stupid for words
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Guess they'll just have to go to Alabama to see Forrest now (although that is just a bust, unlike the Memphis full-bodied statue (with him on a horse).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeahhh... anyone who idolizes forrest can eat razor blades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xuzuthor wrote:
Guess they'll just have to go to Alabama to see Forrest now (although that is just a bust, unlike the Memphis full-bodied statue (with him on a horse).

Unfortunately there is one in Nashville that was erected in 1998 (no not a misprint) and is visible from the Highway. The sculptor is quoted as once stating

Quote:
"Somebody needs to say a good word for slavery,"

http://www.newsweek.com/kkk-statue-vandalized-pink-paint-nas...

Those two are definitely a couple of princes among men

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Mostly made up of spare parts and sarcasm! ... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmb
Quote:

it ended?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way. The GOP there wanted to make really really you got the point of their actions.

Quote:
“Today is a demonstration that bad actions have bad consequences, and my only regret about this is it’s not in the tune of millions of dollars,” state Rep. Andy Holt (R) said Tuesday on the floor, comparing the statue removals to “what ISIS” does — an apparent reference to destruction of ancient sites like Palmyra in Syria by the Islamic State militant group. His office did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2018/04/1...

Taking down a statue honoring the first Grand Wizard of the KKK is a "bad action" in the eyes of the GOP. We get the point. Hopefully in November we can return the favor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kumitedad wrote:
By the way. The GOP there wanted to make really really you got the point of their actions.

Quote:
“Today is a demonstration that bad actions have bad consequences, and my only regret about this is it’s not in the tune of millions of dollars,” state Rep. Andy Holt (R) said Tuesday on the floor, comparing the statue removals to “what ISIS” does — an apparent reference to destruction of ancient sites like Palmyra in Syria by the Islamic State militant group. His office did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2018/04/1...

Taking down a statue honoring the first Grand Wizard of the KKK is a "bad action" in the eyes of the GOP. We get the point. Hopefully in November we can return the favor

There's really nothing more to say about racists sscks of shit like that. Spit on them in public, mock them, revile them, but never speak *to* them. There's no point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Some background text articles.

https://www.jdjournal.com/2017/12/22/memphis-sells-parks-in-...

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/12/21/572654031...

https://www.citylab.com/solutions/2017/12/lab-report-how-mem...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Kumitedad wrote:
xuzuthor wrote:

Unfortunately there is one in Nashville that was erected in 1998 (no not a misprint) and is visible from the Highway. The sculptor is quoted as once stating

Quote:

I was just trying to stick with statues in public areas. While visible to the public, the one you mention is in a private park.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
xuzuthor wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:
xuzuthor wrote:

Quote:

I was just trying to stick with statues in public areas. While visible to the public, the one you mention is in a private park.

Thanks for pointing that out. I was kicking myself for spending last weekend in Nashville and giving them my tourist dollars. But it being in a private park is quite a different story.

Edit: And as an aside, Yo La Tengo is awesome in concert!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khalid Shabazz
United States
NYC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
Yeahhh... anyone who idolizes forrest can eat razor blades.

Fun fictional fact: Forrest Gump is named by his mother after Nathan Bedford Forrest, a supposed ancestor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.