Subject: Firing at cavalry rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thierry Aradan
France
ASSAS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a 3 columns shift, provided 50% or more SPs are Cavalry.
I suppose that Horse Artillery is considered Cavalry for that purpose, otherwise a 2 SPs Cavalry unit would easily be « shielded » by its 3 SPs divisional Horse Artillery when stacked with it.

I understand that those guns can disrupt any infantry fire, but I do not see the point with long range artillery fire.

The RAW provide a strong incentive to stack cavalry units with artillery or infantry to protect them.

What is the point here ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Horse Artillery is considered to be Artillery, and not Cavalry.

The reason for the 50%+ rule is simply to determine what the most likely type of unit to be hit in the hex is going to be. It would certainly be unfair to penalize a targeted infantry unit with the three-column shift if it was stacked with a 1-7 light cavalry unit. So a hex would have to be at least half Cavalry in order to apply that shift, meaning the mostly the Cavalry is exposed and being hit.

Thanks!
Herm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thierry Aradan
France
ASSAS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Hermann.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrien Zanelli
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Bouncing back on Thierry's question about cavalry...I have now completed the second scenario (Mars-la-Tour) and I am still puzzled as to how to use it efficiently in the game. With an heavy +3 column shift penalty when fired upon, it seems the only purpose of these poor fellows is to attract ennemy's fire (as a distraction for infantry for example) and die bravely. Even when charging, if successful, they are almost certain to be wiped out by the surviving infantry on its next activation (weakened by the morale hit post-charging). They also can't defend properly a village in close combat. As AAC does not feature ZoC, they also can't prevent ennemy reinforcement from rushing up the road in march column, nor scout the battlefield to reveal formations. In my (limited) game experience, I found them only decent against opposing counterparts. One might argue it truly reflects the twilight of heavy cavalry in Western Europe battlefields, but I'm also a taker of any tactical advices...

I am getting more and more hooked on this game, good luck with Sadowa's development !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great question Adrien!
They are indeed limited in their effectiveness on this kind of battlefield. However .... at the right moment and in the right circumstances, a vicious cavalry charge can upset enemy plans. Mostly they are used to run ahead or to the flanks to at least establish control of key places (i.e., get a control marker placed in a town or clog up a crossroads). The light cavalry can duel with the enemy light cavalry for these spots, supported by their horse artillery. The mediums can do the same or be used for a desperation charge and the heavies can do some damage on enemies who find themselves unsupported. Opportunity Charges can mess up an enemy line of march along a road as well.

So yes - their role is limited and they do get badly mauled more often than not. But every once in a while, you get a von Bredow's "Deathride" that you'll be talking about for months.

Thanks!
Herm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.