Subject: What's wrong with the Excalibre version? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Ableman
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
So I'm looking into getting a copy of this game, and I notice a lot of people saying to only get the Yaquinto version. The only reason I've seen so far is that the counters are from a side perspective, not top down.

Is this the main problem with the Exalibre version? Or is there anything else I should be aware of?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert lindsay
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Only other issue is the rules book is smaller and bound like a paperback, which makes it harder to keep open.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Titles are all Old English font, which can make them tough to read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Wright
United Kingdom
Nottingham
England
flag msg tools
Hornet Leader - Carrier Air Operations
badge
Herge's Adventures of Tintin!
mbmbmbmbmb
I vaguely recall they managed to size the full page charts such that they only fit in the box at an angle, rather than flat as any sane person would do.

The counters were a joke. Replace an oblong top down view counter that just worked and looked spot on with square side views that then required L and R and an arrow to be printed on them so you know which way they were supposed to be facing. And someone must have thought this was a good idea. Pitiful shake

And don't get me started on the rulebook...

Edit To summarise, Exalibur managed quite an achievement with their Yaquinto editions - to increase the physical quality of the components whilst at the same time reducing their utility.

Still, if it's the only version you can get I suppose it would do short term to decide if you like the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Riches
United Kingdom
Salisbury
flag msg tools
The Excalibre version works OK. True, the counters are painful, but the base mechanics are contained in the box, and it remains a great game. There is nothing to stop you enjoying it, although I agree there are some dumb things that should have been done better (in presentation, not in base game mechanics which are the same).

I bought the original and the expansion, and have the Excalibre versions.

One thing that could be helpful is to buy the Steam and Sail Navies counters for sale on Wargame Vault. These can be printed onto card and used as excellent counters. Note that they are designed for 1:1200 scale, so you would need to reduce them when printing to fit the Ironclads hexes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
401k? More like .357
United States
Bodymore
Murderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alcazar wrote:

Edit To summarise, Exalibur managed quite an achievement with their Yaquinto editions - to increase the physical quality of the components whilst at the same time reducing their utility.

Unfortunately that's usually the rule, not the exception, for most rebooted/reprinted titles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Miller
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The top down is sooo much better, but if you can live with the side version, which was a terrible reprint decision, then go for it. Would recommend the expansion also, very fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.