Billy Crawford - Greybeard
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A question for painters/modelers.

I've been building semi-custom bases for my quarry/nemesis but so far have only been doing the smaller models (kings man, hand, butcher, lion, and antelope). I'm using 1mm paperclips for the pin on those.

My question is on the larger models (sunstalker, dragon king, maybe even gorm), if you've been pinning these to the base, are you using larger paperclips/pins (like the 1.5mm ones)? Also, are you pinning in multiple spots? I feel like 1 - 1mm paperclip isn't going to hold the sunstalker or king down on the base.

Thanks all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
If you're attaching them directly to the included plastic bases and using plastic cement they don't really have the weight that would require pinning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not attaching them directly to the base. I'm building a custom base that has about a 1 mm or so layer of medium that won't hold the miniature directly, so I'm pinning them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been pinning mine using the 1mm clips. I've been using 2 points on the large models (Dragon King, Sunstalker) and everything else seems fine with 1 point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
phillipsjr2 wrote:
I've been pinning mine using the 1mm clips. I've been using 2 points on the large models (Dragon King, Sunstalker) and everything else seems fine with 1 point.

Perfect, that's what I was looking for. Thank ya, sir!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Penderville
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Increasing the size of the pin does little to increase the stability, but even 1 more pin does a lot. I am doing my bases the same way you are, with 1 pin on the smaller models, and 2 on the phoenix. I *might* go up to 3 on the DK or the SS, but they also look like pretty stable models, so its probably not necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!

this is the first time i've pinned minis.... boy it eats up those tiny drill bits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
phaelen2003 wrote:
Awesome!

this is the first time i've pinned minis.... boy it eats up those tiny drill bits.

Eats them up as in wears them out? That shouldn't be happening unless you're using stone or a hard metal between the base and mini. On the plastic one bit should last you years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cormor321 wrote:
phaelen2003 wrote:
Awesome!

Eats them up as in wears them out? That shouldn't be happening unless you're using stone or a hard metal between the base and mini. On the plastic one bit should last you years.

Yeah that seems strange to me too.

Are you bending them?

The key is to only apply slight pressure and let the bit cut, not the pressure. Back them out to clear out the hole and bit grooves frequently.

I have bits that I've used for 20 years on hard old GW pewter and everything in between that still work great.

I agree with the above about thickness of the pin not being vital. A paperclip is great, as is music wire. Any steel wire works well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
For killing the bits, are you drilling by hand or with something powered? Too high of speeds will also wreck things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Found a video of pinning and other preparation, with the Screaming Antelope! Army Painter's drill for pinning is under $10 at Miniature Market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phaelen2003 wrote:

I certainly hope that you are using a hand drill / pin vise for drilling. Go slowly and gently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biff Drinkwater
msg tools
mbmbmb
I use 2 pins for everything that doesn’t have a substantial socket (e.g. the Phoenix’s wings (which I pinned so it’s easier to store)). 2 pins is a huge increase in stability over 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it seems like I might be applying to much pressure.

Totally using a hand drill, no way I'd pull out the power drill for these. I think it's a case of just pushing to hard while I'm drilling then?

Sounds like I should just take my time and let the drill do the work instead of muscle?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I really only pin models where there isn't much contact with the surface. This is pretty rare on a large model.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.