Popular Tags: [View All]
Teik Chooi Oh
United Kingdom
Chorley
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In our 4-players game, we had it all sorted by November ready to do full plan for December. During first go, we set up Supply Centre in Johannesburg Jade station(making it permanent after of course) & found Pearl lab but died straight after. All red cities were connected. Rest of world well connected too.

So all planned route of 3 reds, 2 blacks, 1 Yellow and 1 red from Pearl to Jade. Setup began badly with 3 plaque cubes. Despite my character able to immediately move to Pearl on start, none of us started with any red cards. Our plan of another player's Sam supplying required cards (as his ability can freely pass a card) combined with my Frodo carrying the cure using extra free move & ability swap 2 cards for 1 in bag of removed cards seemed viable, especially as another player had drawn card to provide me 4 extra actions when needed.

Alas, we still only got fewer than 2 full rounds. I made it to Shanghai and we died from too many outbreaks. I did not think anything we could do to prevent the bad draw.

Final score 632. Disappointed we could not win despite clear plan and ability to if we had at least 3 rounds.

Seems quite a few winning it here, some first time (though one clearly played wrongly by flying directly to Johannesburg!). Was it just us who lost? I know two local groups who did. Wonder what ratio of win to lose is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few things in Season 2 that will have a very dramatic impact on your win/loss ratio.

I have played it twice with 2 different groups, and the were so different they almost felt like different games. We didn't have the December issue you did, but we did have similar stuff happen earlier in the year; and having spoken to a lot of other people about what happened with our group that had massive problems, no one could really see a reliable solution without knowing in advance what the impact of our decisions was going to be.

When I played with the second group, I stayed silent on key decisions, and even let them make some mistakes that would make it harder for us in future; but it was still a much better experience because the cards didn't land horribly like they did for my first group.

I don't want to go into too many details, but two critical events early in the year happening 'wrong' really did turn the game from a 9 into a 6; where at one point we just wanted to give up. And this is a group that plays Pandemic twice a week.

I hope that for Season 3 there can be some effort put into mitigating this sort of bad draw that will basically screw you without recovery.

The worst thing about it happening in December, it's over and you can't go again. Although, there is nothing stopping you from taking a third stab at the month. There really aren't gaming police who are going to kick down your door and wrestle you to the floor for breaking the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teik Chooi Oh
United Kingdom
Chorley
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah lack of mitigation against a bad draw on what was already a tough objective was disappointing. I did suggest try third but rest not keen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Mlodzkoski
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think the 4 player game just makes it extremely hard. We barely won with 3 players, and the final card could have sunk us. I'm not sure if my "count" was right but I felt like on that final card the odds were against us. Especially when the movement of a single player is the means to victory...it seems having one or two less players likely has a big impact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Williams
msg tools
chooi wrote:
In our 4-players game, we had it all sorted by November ready to do full plan for December. During first go, we set up Supply Centre in Johannesburg Jade station(making it permanent after of course) & found Pearl lab but died straight after. All red cities were connected. Rest of world well connected too.

So all planned route of 3 reds, 2 blacks, 1 Yellow and 1 red from Pearl to Jade. Setup began badly with 3 plaque cubes. Despite my character able to immediately move to Pearl on start, none of us started with any red cards. Our plan of another player's Sam supplying required cards (as his ability can freely pass a card) combined with my Frodo carrying the cure using extra free move & ability swap 2 cards for 1 in bag of removed cards seemed viable, especially as another player had drawn card to provide me 4 extra actions when needed.

Alas, we still only got fewer than 2 full rounds. I made it to Shanghai and we died from too many outbreaks. I did not think anything we could do to prevent the bad draw.

Final score 632. Disappointed we could not win despite clear plan and ability to if we had at least 3 rounds.

Seems quite a few winning it here, some first time (though one clearly played wrongly by flying directly to Johannesburg!). Was it just us who lost? I know two local groups who did. Wonder what ratio of win to lose is?

So it sounds like you set up everything optimally for December (although maybe more radio towers would have saved Sam from having to hang around with Frodo?), but this one bolded sentence makes me wonder if the way you'd played the rest of the game upped your difficulty for the month.

By December, it's likely you've got 40-45 cities on the grid, with a total of about 80-85 infection cards, and only 30 supplies. But you could have up to 30 infection cards in Box 6, and you could have destroyed a bunch of other infection cards using a combo of the Scientist/Unrationed events/Infection Card Upgrades.

I know how we played the game we did have less infection cards than cubes but we were able to distribute our starting cubes so that we'd reduce our odds of having a plague cube on the board at the beginning
e.g. We only had two supplies on Tripoli but we'd need to be really unlucky and draw all three Tripoli cards to plague out in set-up.
We only had five supplies on Utopia, but we'd need almost the entire draw to be Utopia cards to plague out there either.

From what I've seen on here, the players with the highest scores all destroyed infection cards more liberally than we did - so I can imagine that they really did enter December with a supply cube for every infection card in the deck and therefore zero risk of starting plague cubes at all.

Once the game has started, then you know where the problem areas are going to be and react accordingly (including liberal use of the Topaz ability and Saboteur/Smuggler/Supplier where appropriate).

Obviously this analysis is of absolutely no use retrospectively.....but I am starting to see a theme in the posts on here.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teik Chooi Oh
United Kingdom
Chorley
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We did take out cards but perhaps not as aggressively as some. Yes we had plans for satellite too but time was just well against us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxwell Anselm
msg tools
We finished with only 28 cities on the grid but a score of 751. Strategically letting cities become forsaken and intentionally leaving things off the grid was quite effective in our game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teik Chooi Oh
United Kingdom
Chorley
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah we only had 2 forsaken right till final turn added 3-4, and perhaps should have left more. Wasn't sure earlier if end game wanted us fix them all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
We had a similar issue first game in December - three plague cubes in set up. We had been inoculating a lot and had about 20 infection cards in there at one point, but we sort of gave up on it once they started coming back again. I think we'd been working on a strategy of inoculating all of the Americas to allow us to focus on one side of the board. When that wasn't really possible anymore we sort of slacked off, not thinking ahead to November/December and just outright not having enough cubes in the stockpile.

We didn't get the Scientist until late, and at that point bringing her rather than four of our five very upgraded characters seemed a bad idea.

The second game went far better, though got close. At the end we had a path to win, knew we were safe from an epidemic, and knew that there were only 4 cards in a deck of around 25 (plus Hollow Men) that would put plague out, and we needed to survive 8 draws. (We had cancelled an early epidemic with an unrationed event.) Three incidents would kill us.

We shored up one of those locations meaning we would have to draw all three of the others to lose. Of course, two of them come up and then on the last draw the third comes up... but as Hollow Men!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Herrin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really enjoying reading how other groups played the game. We aggressively removed infection cards to Box 6, especially single card cities. Bringing cities to 0 infection cards effectively removed them from the game, not having to place cubes on them. Even after epidemics started bringing cards back, we could go move the single cards back to Box 6. I posted in another thread how we won December after not trying to win on the first try, choosing instead to use that play to do things to help a win on the second run.

One thing I've not read about others doing. Tracking the cards in the infection deck. We used a spreadsheet that we updated as we played, tracking cards in player deck, infection deck, Box 6, and in the latest epidemic infection cycle. Between doing that and stacking the draw pile with each epidemic pile at 90 degrees, we could predict what cards were coming up next, and when there were safe times after an epidemic. This went a long way to avoiding plague cubes. We only had two cities fall, which we brought back with victory points. We had no fallen cities at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teik Chooi Oh
United Kingdom
Chorley
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We did remove and did track. Perhaps not aggressive enough in removing and choosing to reduce most to 1 than many (think just 1-2) to 0. Anyway something to learn. We were doing so well in October and November, just jarring how quickly it all went bad in December.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve weshinskey

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We did remove but not aggressively because we were waiting for the other shoe to drop on box 6. Basically we removed infection cards when we had to or figured we would lose the game by time 'it wore off' we had 16(I think) in the box.
We got a bit lucky in that we built a permanent supply center at Johannesburg right off because it was blue and we had a radio tower there so we had a spot players could fly into to give blue cards to others. That was our strategy most of the game, build a permanent supply center at a key location and put a permanent radio tower at each of the colors at a supply center(we never did yellow) and that really paid off when we got to lake Bikal.
Three player game, two cleared the path, building routes where necessary, putting in shelters to avoid scars for our carrier and feeding cards to him. We won early Decemeber but it was scary close, we had 7 plague cubes on the board and 6 forsaken cities when it was over because we weren't shoring things up as well as we should to get the carrier to Johannesburg. We used the 8 points at the end of the game to get 4 of the forsaken cities back but still lost two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.