Subject: Zombie order of activation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Caville
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not sure if it really matters except in specific cases like with the Abominotaur (which is clearly spelled out, it activates before everything else) but has anyone run into any issues on the order in which zombies activate?

A question arose from a new-ish player with CDO (the militant version of OCD) that zombies should activate in their priority order. I tried explaining that priority only mattered in Magic or Ranged actions but the conversation got me wondering, does anyone know of any other possible case where it would matter?

Edit: after having posted this I got the deja vu feeling this is a duplicate but couldn’t find anything in previous posts. If my senility has advanced yet one more step, please feel free to completely ignore. Thank you & good gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you can assign the attacks any way you want and “overkill” someone. It’s doesnt matter the order of activation. They all activate together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All Zombies are considered to activate simultaneously, but there is a slight order to their actions. Zombies with additional actions (Runners, Wolfz etc.) perform those after everyone has done their first action. Zombies that can attack attack before any Zombies move too.

The first action should be considered simultaneous among all Zombie types as they will all attack Survivors in their Zone together. If you were to activate separately, you would not get this to happen.

Thus, it's safest to activate by Zone rather than Zombie type. The order you choose the Zones will not matter either, so you can let the CDO player come up with a pattern that he likes.

In summary, the following must be done:

1: All Zombies take their first action. Those that can attack do so. The others move.

2: All Zombies with a second action take the second action. Those that can attack do so. The others move.

3: All Zombies with a third action take the third action. Those that can attack do so. The others move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Putting aside the abominataur for the moment, all zombies on the board activate simultaneously, so they all get their first action together (either move or attack). If any have a second action they then take it simultaneously. If any have a third action they now take it simultaneously, and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Sánchez
msg tools
Take a look at abominotaur rules. He actually activates at the same time, the same way of all other zombies, breaking a wall doesn't spend an action an isn't a consequence of his movement. The wall on his path breaks before any zombie take an action, then every one attack and finally everyone move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:

In summary, the following must be done:

1: All Zombies take their first action. Those that can attack do so. The others move.

2: All Zombies with a second action take the second action. Those that can attack do so. The others move.

3: All Zombies with a third action take the third action. Those that can attack do so. The others move.

I forget that's the proper order of doing things.

The only time I can think that this will impact play is if you have and example like two heros in a zone zombies and two runners in the next zone. Technically those same zone zombies will attack and say "overkill" one hero, those runner zombies should go in an attack the second hero because the first is already dead, as opposed to joining in on the overkill of the first hero.

So it's rare that it'll impact but it's definitely possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.