Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Tigris & Euphrates» Forums » General

Subject: Unification tile rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leo King
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I just bought a copy of this game second hand. It has everything its supposed to have except that it only has one unification tile (instead of 4, right?). Is that going to be a problem when playing the game ?

My understanding is that as soon as two (or more) kingdoms unite, you place the unification tile on the spot where they join and resolve the action by joining them together. After which you remove the unification tile. If so, unification can only happen one at a time - in which case we can keep the unification tile in the public zone (not behind our screens) and use the one tile when ever it is needed.

If I'm right, what are the advantages of being given 4 unification tiles - one for each player ?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

You only need one. Each player having their own is a convenience. I suppose it is easy to make some homemade unification tiles. Just about anything would work since they do not need to match the other tiles.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Technically, you don't even need the one. It just helps when resolving the conflicts.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There will always be exactly 0 or 1 unifications in use. Old editions had one for each player, but it wasn't strictly necessary.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bleicher
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
MG
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EMBison wrote:
Technically, you don't even need the one. It just helps when resolving the conflicts.


True, but I wouldn't suggest not using one. In big conflicts with kingdoms shattering all over the place it is definitely important to know where did the conflict started. It is when one plays without one (e.g. in Triqqy) that we see how useful they are...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lbleicher wrote:
EMBison wrote:
Technically, you don't even need the one. It just helps when resolving the conflicts.
True, but I wouldn't suggest not using one. In big conflicts with kingdoms shattering all over the place it is definitely important to know where did the conflict started. It is when one plays without one (e.g. in Triqqy) that we see how useful they are...

wouldn't flipping the tile that you would otherwise put the unification tile over work just the same way? and if not one could use any item, a penny, a large VP cube from the supply, etc
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo King
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Thanks everyone for your answers. Nice to know we can play the game without any problems.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Hürth
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
I won an Games for Geekgold Lottery with 0.09% Chance of winning. You sure you wanna mess with me?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You probably got an older edition.
Only the 2015 remake came with 4 unification tiles.

I own the original Hans im Gluck 1997 Edition and until just yet I never realized there are editions with 4 tiles...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Miniapples
Minisoda
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TermiGator wrote:
You probably got an older edition.
Only the 2015 remake came with 4 unification tiles.

I own the original Hans im Gluck 1997 Edition and until just yet I never realized there are editions with 4 tiles...
My Mayfair version of the game also came with four unification tiles.
4 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bleicher
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
MG
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
wouldn't flipping the tile that you would otherwise put the unification tile over work just the same way? and if not one could use any item, a penny, a large VP cube from the supply, etc


Sure! I was thinking about the idea of *not* having anything marking where the unification happened (for some odd reason Triqqy does that, for example, so you have to look into the log and find the actual place by its coordinates. Quite annoying).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Hürth
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
I won an Games for Geekgold Lottery with 0.09% Chance of winning. You sure you wanna mess with me?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Vrooman wrote:
TermiGator wrote:
You probably got an older edition.
Only the 2015 remake came with 4 unification tiles.

I own the original Hans im Gluck 1997 Edition and until just yet I never realized there are editions with 4 tiles...
My Mayfair version of the game also came with four unification tiles.

BGG only lists components for the 1999 Mayfair edition with 1 unification tile.
Therefore I assume you have the 2008 Mayfair edition.

Anyway let me rephrase my statement:
Only (some of) the newer editions came with 4 unification tiles.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TermiGator wrote:
Vrooman wrote:
TermiGator wrote:
You probably got an older edition.
Only the 2015 remake came with 4 unification tiles.

I own the original Hans im Gluck 1997 Edition and until just yet I never realized there are editions with 4 tiles...
My Mayfair version of the game also came with four unification tiles.

BGG only lists components for the 1999 Mayfair edition with 1 unification tile.
Therefore I assume you have the 2008 Mayfair edition.

Anyway let me rephrase my statement:
Only (some of) the newer editions came with 4 unification tiles.


the mayfair 2003 edition had 4 .... I owned that version before I got the 2008 edition (because of the double sided game board while 2003 was one sided)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
TermiGator wrote:
Vrooman wrote:
TermiGator wrote:
You probably got an older edition.
Only the 2015 remake came with 4 unification tiles.

I own the original Hans im Gluck 1997 Edition and until just yet I never realized there are editions with 4 tiles...
My Mayfair version of the game also came with four unification tiles.

BGG only lists components for the 1999 Mayfair edition with 1 unification tile.
Therefore I assume you have the 2008 Mayfair edition.

Anyway let me rephrase my statement:
Only (some of) the newer editions came with 4 unification tiles.


the mayfair 2003 edition had 4 .... I owned that version before I got the 2008 edition (because of the double sided game board while 2003 was one sided)

This is the edition I have, with four unifications.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The only value of four tiles is when you have a complicated set of wars, particularly where the active player isn't involved in some of the fights, you resolve them and then say "so whose turn was that?"

Never seen that happen, but it could.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.