Subject: Android app black screen? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erin A
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am sure I missed something, but is anyone getting a black screen on Android? I was going to play it last weekend, but the app was not working for me. Thanks for info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mcgamin

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played through all the scenarios and both campaigns and I have not encountered that problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin A
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
It worked until I had to reinstall due to a factory reset, which was on Friday. Ive tried to reinstall a few times.

Thanks for reading... I can't do anything with this game now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bever
United States
Plattsburgh
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've unfortunately got the same thing. Just got a new phone so I don't know if it's the latest update or the new Android OS I'm using.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Buttress
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yeah same here, looks like they pushed a new update a couple of weeks ago that's caused this. There are a few reviews mentioning it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nándor Gáspár
Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I've got a new phone recently as well, and today I experienced the same issue.

So here is my solution, which worked for me:
(Note: I suppose you installed the First Martians app already)
Go to the settings menu > select applications > go into First Martians settings > choose permissions > grant storage permission

After that, the app should work properly.

The reason behind the issue:
I'm mostly just speculating here since I don't have any connection with Portal games or the app developers, but I know a couple of things about Android development.

With the recent major version of the Operating system, they changed how the Permissions are working. The app should request any permission it needs at runtime (not before the installation process), which seems to be missing in the First Martians app. The app expects that it can access your storage (I think it stores some assets there), but the Android OS doesn't provide this permission by default.

HTH!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bever
United States
Plattsburgh
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was about to comment and say I tried this last night on a whim but it didn't work. So I checked it again just in case and looks like when I set it, it didn't stay set yesterday.

This did work for me. Lesson learned here: Just because you think you tried something doesn't mean you necessarily did haha. Thanks for the help!

Ydnad wrote:
Hey, I've got a new phone recently as well, and today I experienced the same issue.

So here is my solution, which worked for me:
(Note: I suppose you installed the First Martians app already)
Go to the settings menu > select applications > go into First Martians settings > choose permissions > grant storage permission

After that, the app should work properly.

The reason behind the issue:
I'm mostly just speculating here since I don't have any connection with Portal games or the app developers, but I know a couple of things about Android development.

With the recent major version of the Operating system, they changed how the Permissions are working. The app should request any permission it needs at runtime (not before the installation process), which seems to be missing in the First Martians app. The app expects that it can access your storage (I think it stores some assets there), but the Android OS doesn't provide this permission by default.

HTH!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin A
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you so much! I hope this is fixed properly soon, I'd hate to forget this later or have someone who doesn't know, never figure it out.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Buttress
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hmm, the permissions fix hasn't worked for me, although it now gets past the black screen; shows the portal logo, then changes to a spinning circle and just sits on that screen continuously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nándor Gáspár
Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
teacup42729 wrote:
Hmm, the permissions fix hasn't worked for me, although it now gets past the black screen; shows the portal logo, then changes to a spinning circle and just sits on that screen continuously.

I had to wait for a while on that screen, but after a few seconds, it continued to the main screen.

I'm afraid, I can't help if you are stuck on that screen. I suggest contacting the dev team at portalgamess@gmail.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Buttress
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmb
I left it for a couple of minutes just in case but was still just spinning. On a whim I tried switching off wifi as the connection in the office is rubbish sometimes, and it worked straight away, switched it on again and just get the spinning circle. Not sure what's going on there, everything else seems to work on wifi atm.

I did tweet at portal games when I first noticed the issue, and they're looking in to it anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shhh... don't tell anyone who is opposed to app-integration in Board Games... this will make their day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schroeder

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
teacup42729 wrote:
I left it for a couple of minutes just in case but was still just spinning. On a whim I tried switching off wifi as the connection in the office is rubbish sometimes, and it worked straight away, switched it on again and just get the spinning circle. Not sure what's going on there, everything else seems to work on wifi atm.

I did tweet at portal games when I first noticed the issue, and they're looking in to it anyway.

I'm know I'm late to this, but if the game is using a port to connect to the app's server that isn't one of the standard ones, your office may have blocked that port for security reasons. You may not be able to play the app at all on that network.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.