BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: The Year of Games as Gifts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Morgan Goddard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Hi everyone, super new to BGG, but I honestly made an account so I could get some opinions.
This year I’ve decide to share a bit of my passion of gaming with family and friends, and give games as gifts. Mostly birthdays, but maybe Xmas gifts as well depending on how the bday gifts are taken.
I really need help though deciding which gift to get which people.

Current:

Mom- loves puzzle games like bejeweled, so I got her Sagrada and will find out at the end of April if I she likes. She also really enjoys Sushi Go, and other quick games. So if you can think of a game that she might enjoy more than Sagrada I still have time to exchange the game!

Nephew #1- is into tennis this year, and loves board games in general so I got him a tennis game as a gag gift, and Legends of Andor as the real gift

Upcoming:
Dad- loves antique cars, Star Wars, and end of the world/post apocalyptic books. So far has enjoyed Ticket to Ride

Sister in law- loves her dog, very anti social (so maybe a game that can be played solo, loves art.

Sister- loves Sherlock Holmes, murder mystery, YouTubers, also might be best with a solo game, Pokémon, Kingdom Hearts, and Zelda.

Nephew #2- will be 8yrs old on his bday. Loves games like Sushi go and Ice Cool. Doesn’t have a very high reading level yet, but he really likes games where he can play independently and doesn’t need his nans help.

Thank you so much in advance for any suggestions!!!

*Bonus points if the 8yr old would be able to play the other games as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For your sister, the obvious one must be Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective.

For the 8 year old: Hey That's My Fish or Rat Hot spring to mind as decent options.

Mom: Azul

Sister In Law: This one is tough, but Friday is my best bet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holly C
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For your sister-in-law, my first thought was Onirim (second edition). It's a solo card game that can also be played co-op for two people and is easy to learn. Its card art is dreamlike and full of colour. It looks great on the table and, in my opinion, is fun and addicting to play if you enjoy solitaire card games.

My 8-year-old nephew loves Carcassonne. There's no text to read and he really enjoys building the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueSwan wrote:
For your sister, the obvious one must be Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective.

Holy cow, was going to snarl that SH:CD is barely a game, but this may be the perfect case for it.

You said the 8-year-old likes games where he can play independently, but any idea whether he'd like co-ops? Lately Flash Point: Fire Rescue has been my 7-year-old niece's game of choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A M
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some nice selections here.

+1 for Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective for your sister. It's a perfect selection. There are also sequels if it's a hit (Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: Jack the Ripper & West End Adventures).

For your nephew, I think Forbidden Island is a terrific game for kids that age - not a lot of reading required, and a great introduction to more sophisticated games.

For your sister-in-law, if she likes the art scene (as opposed to just art itself), she might find The Gallerist interesting in a meta-way. But beyond that, it's a tough read - any other details about her interests you can share?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Goddard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Azul over Sagrada?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Goddard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
I guess that I meant the rules or game is easy enough for him to understand, and hat someone doesn’t have to play for him.
He likes both co-ops and games with a winner, but as a little boy, he enjoys being to say he won lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Goddard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Sister in law is hard to know. But her bday isn’t until later this year, hoping to get to know her better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Fibula
France
Toulouse
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
chattycatmo wrote:
Azul over Sagrada?

I'd pick Azul over Sagrada too, but that's a recurrent debate...
Just check how the two games play and choose the one that seems more fun to you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Fibula
France
Toulouse
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
For your young nephew, you could try Kingdomino, which looks like a game for kids only but is in fact a very neat and simple game that generally appeals to everyone!

For your sister-in-law, how about a social deduction game like Insider or Deception: Murder in Hong-Kong? Or, if she likes animals, maybe you could try something "cuter", like Zooloretto.

For your Dad, Star Wars: Rebellion might be the right choice! But it has several down sides, though: it's quite an expensive game, and it's best played with two players only. Or maybe Star Realms, which is a really cool deckbuilding PVP space game!

You can also check Codenames and its variants (Codenames Disney, Codenames Pictures, Codenames Marvel,...) if your family enjoys brainy games with two teams competing, Stone Age for a nice worker placement game, or the deckbuilding classic Dominion.

I'd add that, as mentioned before, Carcassonne and Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective are cool games too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Holly185 wrote:
For your sister-in-law, my first thought was Onirim (second edition). It's a solo card game that can also be played co-op for two people and is easy to learn. Its card art is dreamlike and full of colour. It looks great on the table and, in my opinion, is fun and addicting to play if you enjoy solitaire card games.

OK, yeah, that is actually a better suggestion than my suggestion of Friday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chattycatmo wrote:
Azul over Sagrada?

Haven't played Sagrada, but Azul is amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Goddard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
I think I’m goinf to stick with Sagrada for now over Azul, only because it won’t be in time for her birthday, and because Sagrada can be played solo. If she likes Sagrada though, I may pick up Azul for mother’s day. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Goddard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Thanks! So far you’re the only one that’s given suggestions for my dad lol. I thought about the Star Wars game, but was worried since it is so thematic he might have trouble getting my mom or anyone else to play besides me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Freerksen
United States
River Forest
Illinois [IL]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been doing this all year as well I have given many games to my friends from church the list is:

ICECOOL and Stuffed Fables for my friend who has a lot of kids. His oldest wants to RP but he hates number crunching hence Stuffed Fables and Ice Cool was mostly because it really is a 3-4 player game. 2 has too little chaos so he got that as well.

Pizza Box Football for my friend who loves football. His wife was like: "I never saw anything like this, it's amazing."

Pizza Box Baseball for my sister's boyfriend who loves baseball

and the oddest one I have is

Kingmaker, originally this was meant for me. But when my pastor himself said he would be interested (plus his wife is British) I couldn't keep it and I will help him teach it this week after he moves closer to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Fibula
France
Toulouse
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
chattycatmo wrote:
I think I’m goinf to stick with Sagrada for now over Azul, only because it won’t be in time for her birthday, and because Sagrada can be played solo. If she likes Sagrada though, I may pick up Azul for mother’s day. Thank you!

I think that Azul and Sagrada are too similar to really fit in one game collection, more so if your parents don't have a lot of games! You should gift her something very different, next time!

chattycatmo wrote:
Thanks! So far you’re the only one that’s given suggestions for my dad lol. I thought about the Star Wars game, but was worried since it is so thematic he might have trouble getting my mom or anyone else to play besides me.

You're absolutely right, yes. I'll try to think of something else!
Meanwhile, you can also check the top family games and top strategy games, maybe you'll find interesting things there!

Oh, and could you please quote the messages you're replying to when you write your answers? It'll help understanding the conversation. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Goddard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
“LeMammouth” wrote:
Oh, and could you please quote the messages you're replying to when you write your answers? It'll help understanding the conversation. Thanks!

Oh sorry. I just made an account yesterday so I’m super new to BGG. The quote button isn’t working and I didn’t know how to do the coding for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Fibula
France
Toulouse
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
chattycatmo wrote:
Oh sorry. I just made an account yesterday so I’m super new to BGG. The quote button isn’t working and I didn’t know how to do the coding for it.

No worries!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A M
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LeMammouth wrote:
chattycatmo wrote:

No worries!

And welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fesk
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Star Realms for your dad.
Tiny Epic Galaxies is another idea for your dad. It is fairly easy to learn and shouldn't be intimidating, but it still has a lot of game for such a small box. It's one of my favorites.

Never played Azul, but my wife and I love Sagrada!

+1 Kingdomino and Carcassonne for your little nephew. Easy for young children, but the whole family will probably still want to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Fibula
France
Toulouse
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
murjani1 wrote:
LeMammouth wrote:
chattycatmo wrote:

No worries!

And welcome!

Indeed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lopresti
msg tools
mbmbmb
Dad - Defenders of the Last Stand (post-appoc)

Nephew #2 - Risk: Star Wars Edition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Freerksen
United States
River Forest
Illinois [IL]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chattycatmo wrote:

Sister in law- loves her dog, very anti social (so maybe a game that can be played solo, loves art.

Agility cutest artwork ever and dog themed, plus doesn't need that many players as it's 2 players only.

EDIT: I apologize for the previous post I didn't see it in the recommendations. So I thought it was general gaming

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.