The 7th Continent» Forums » Rules

Subject: Food combining - Octopus can rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Krzysztof Swiatkowski
Poland
Wroclaw
flag msg tools
As "octopus can" has no keyword, may I combine it with all type of items in my inventory or simply I can't combine it with any other card ?

And I don't remember the description at the bottom of the card (and I can't find this card), but can somebody explain the lowest text on this card please ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't need to match keywords to add something to an existing item. If they match keywords you increase the dice pips (if possible) adding to the durability of the item, but not matching is in no way problematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haakon R Monsen
Norway
Eiksmarka
flag msg tools
mb
If I remember correctly the Octopus can has an immediate effect when You open IT to shuffle back 8 cards.
Since IT has no keyword I didn't combined it with other stacks because IT then wouldnt let the stack gain a pip, but would still need to remove a pip when used. So I kept IT in a stack by itself, and used IT AS soon AS i could.
Was this correct thinking?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as you had a spare die to store that item card as its own item (with dice distributed as per the Satchel & Journal for your player count), then you played it just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Swiatkowski
Poland
Wroclaw
flag msg tools
entwife wrote:
You don't need to match keywords to add something to an existing item. If they match keywords you increase the dice pips (if possible) adding to the durability of the item, but not matching is in no way problematic.

What a shame... Thanks Kim for this info. I completely forgot about such a rule and added only items with matching keywords. And it was so hard ))))
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of people make that mistake. It's in every one of the 'gotcha/frequently missed rules/FAQ' threads we've done for a reason. It still comes up in about one in every 5-10 threads at some point despite that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Swiatkowski
Poland
Wroclaw
flag msg tools
MonsoonX wrote:
If I remember correctly the Octopus can has an immediate effect when You open IT to shuffle back 8 cards.
Since IT has no keyword I didn't combined it with other stacks because IT then wouldnt let the stack gain a pip, but would still need to remove a pip when used. So I kept IT in a stack by itself, and used IT AS soon AS i could.
Was this correct thinking?

Octopus can has a die with "1" pip. So You need to add it to inventory immediately. If there is no room, You can demolish one item (included even few cards) to put the can instead.

BUT I think I understand the meaning of a bottom text on this card. Because there was written something like "using it doesn't lowering the pip of the item the can is part of". So I think we can add Octopus can to any item (within card limit) without adding pip (because there is no keyword), but when we use Octopus can we don't lower the item's pip.

Do you think it's correct now ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it does have that text, you are correct, you could add it to any stack and when you use that item card, it won't lower a pip. If that stack also has brown icons that work on the Pull action, you could even use those too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Swiatkowski
Poland
Wroclaw
flag msg tools
Clipper wrote:
If it does have that text, you are correct, you could add it to any stack and when you use that stack, it won't lower a pip. If that stack also has brown icons that work on the eating action, you could even use those too!

Thanks for Your help and fast answers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
McDonough
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
A lot of people make that mistake. It's in every one of the 'gotcha/frequently missed rules/FAQ' threads we've done for a reason. It still comes up in about one in every 5-10 threads at some point despite that.
Man....I am so about to "OWN" my next T7C playthrough. I missed this rule!
And now I'm off to find the 'gotcha/frequently missed rules/FAQ' threads......bye!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
If it does have that text, you are correct, you could add it to any stack and when you use that stack, it won't lower a pip. If that stack also has brown icons that work on the eating action, you could even use those too!

Whaaa?.. Whats not how we play. Here is how we understood that rule:

Suppose you have a knife stack that contains 3 pips. You get the octopus can and add it tomthe knife stack. Since the octopus can has no keyword, you may add it to the stack, but it will not increase the value of the stack. You later decide to use the knife. When you do so, you still lower the value of the stack down to 2. If you were to use the knife two more times the whole stack, including the octopus can get discarded.

However, if you choose to use the octopus can, you take the action without decreasing the value of the stack itself. Edit: and then banish the octopus can as directed on that card.

If i understand your assertation, the end result be that you can essentially create a permanent item just by adding one of the many cards that include the referenced text. That seems extremely overpowered given how valuable some items are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
slaybalj wrote:
Clipper wrote:

Suppose you have a knife stack that contains 3 pips. You get the octopus can and add it tomthe knife stack. Since the octopus can has no keyword, you may add it to the stack, but it will not increase the value of the stack. You later decide to use the knife. When you do so, you still lower the value of the stack down to 2. If you were to use the knife two more times the whole stack, including the octopus can get discarded.

However, if you choose to use the octopus can, you take the action without decreasing the value of the stack itself.

If i understand your assertation, the end result be that you can essentially create a permanent item just by adding one of the many cards that include the referenced text. That seems extremely overpowered given how valuable some items are.

You can only do it once. Part of the can's ability requires you to discard/banish it. So as soon as you use the item for free, that ability goes away, preventing you from spamming it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CheddarLimbo wrote:
slaybalj wrote:
Clipper wrote:

However, if you choose to use the octopus can, you take the action without decreasing the value of the stack itself.

Part of the can's ability requires you to discard/banish it. So as soon as you use the item for free, that ability goes away, preventing you from spamming it.

I know, what i was posting on was the phrase: when you use that stack. Using a stack implies using any item from that stack. Ergo, in my example, i could use my knife forever so long as i never use the octopus can. Obviously once i use the octopus i no longer have a permanent knife, but i dont think i should have a permanent knife just because i placed an octopus can on that stack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slaybalj wrote:
CheddarLimbo wrote:
slaybalj wrote:
Clipper wrote:

Part of the can's ability requires you to discard/banish it. So as soon as you use the item for free, that ability goes away, preventing you from spamming it.

I know, what i was posting on was the phrase: when you use that stack. Using a stack implies using any item from that stack. Ergo, in my example, i could use my knife forever so long as i never use the octopus can. Obviously once i use the octopus i no longer have a permanent knife, but i dont think i should have a permanent knife just because i placed an octopus can on that stack.

You're right an Octupus can does not make you have a permanent knife - when you use any other card from the stack the dice will be reduced (because those cards don't tell you to not reduce the die), it's only using the octpous card itself (which is a one and then gone thing) that doesn't reduce the durability of the item stack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:

I don't disagree with your rules interpretation, but in this particular case the "open can" action is a Bicep/Arm action, not a Knife and Fork action, so you couldn't also use brown eating icons
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Swiatkowski
Poland
Wroclaw
flag msg tools
Laura I think it's the best explanation how to use an Octopus can - it's the best and logic rule in my opinion

Thanks!

slaybalj wrote:
Clipper wrote:

However, if you choose to use the octopus can, you take the action without decreasing the value of the stack itself. Edit: and then banish the octopus can as directed on that card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogrecrusher wrote:
Clipper wrote:

I don't disagree with your rules interpretation, but in this particular case the "open can" action is a Bicep/Arm action, not a Knife and Fork action, so you couldn't also use brown eating icons

Ah, I made a faulty assumption then. Indeed, I mean you could use any brown icons that affect the Pull action, not the Eat one.

And for everyone else, it only sounds like the can has this white action, so you must be using the Octopus Can to not affect the durability. You do get to use all the brown icons for the Pull action for free if you want too, though. If you are performing any other action (even a different Pull action), you would need to reduce the die to use the item cards in that item.

Edit: I have corrected my post above to indicate this. I never meant to imply that the entire stack is free until you use the Can, sorry about that ambiguity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.