8 Posts

History Maker Baseball» Forums » General

Subject: Starter/Reliever conundrum rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
william hill
msg tools
mb
This question is applicable to HM and all dice baseball games. It is a constant problem for me.

For those of us who only play “one-off” games or very limited series’ of games (nothing longer than a World Series), how are we to handle starting- pitching and relievers usage? What are the limitations and why?

Since there is no reason to “conserve” any pitcher’s arm for future games (well, except in the case of a World Series-but even then, the concept of “rest” is so vague that I never feel confident in applying it), what would stop me from indiscriminately bringing in a string of relievers at the very hint of trouble? i.e. your starter gives up 6 runs in the first inning. Hey bring in a reliever! (is that legal?) But wait! How long is this reliever allowed to pitch? Indefinitely? Well, it doesn’t matter, because I can just bring in another reliever anytime, right? Wait! If a reliever pitches say 4 innings, can he be used again next game? Did he pitch too long?..and on and on.

If this unlimited swapping is allowed, where is the challenge or strategy in choosing a particular starter when I can just swap him out anytime?

I think what I’m looking for is a “fixed” house rule that requires a starter to pitch a minimum number of innings, and if a reliever becomes necessary, that reliever can only pitch a fixed number of innings. Additionally, I could deem that any pitcher that pitched at all simply couldn't pitch again in my short series, period. If you pitched, you’re done. (In this case, yes, the size of your bull pen could become the “limiting factor”, but not too likely as most teams seem to have a ton of pitchers/relievers).
Something like that anyway.

Basically, I’m trying to remove the vague guesswork out of my “non-season” play.

thx for any ideas,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McGuinness
United States
Nantucket
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Statis-Pro Baseball had a system for resting pitchers depending on how long they pitched. I don't have the game in front of me now, but I believe it was based on how many outs a reliever got. For instance, and this is my best guess, if a relief pitcher got 3 or fewer outs, they could be used in the next game.If they got 4 to 6 outs, they had to miss a game, etc.

Now, I think a better way to handle this would be to use batters faced. You could do something like this:

*1 to 5 batters faced - can pitch in next game
*6 to 10 batters faced - miss 1 game
*11 to 13 batters faced - miss 2 games
*14 or more batters faced - miss 3 games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Kalmoe
United States
Prescott
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
My 'house rule' gets a little complicated, so I won't try to explain all of it. Basically, in lieu of 'pitch counts,' I look at Batters Faced. It is subjective, but I consider that if a Relief pitcher has faced 8 batters over a 2 game span, he needs to rest. For Starters, every 7 to 8 batters faced is a day of rest. It makes managing the pitching staff interesting at times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Crawford
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In real-life in the playoffs and World Series, managers definitely pulling starters and relievers faster. So I'm not sure you need a house rule?

But, just to clear up the actual rules, yes, you can bring in relievers as fast and as often as you like. The only rule is that each pitcher must face at least one batter (or record at least one out, say on a pick-off or caught stealing). That's it.

Definitely if a starter gives up 6 runs in the first inning, he's usually going to get pulled pretty quickly. That's reflected in HMB's rules about assigning the Struggler quality. Also, you probably aren't going to want to pitch any reliever in HMB longer than a couple of innings, because they will lose the Fresh quality, and that's a big deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
william hill
msg tools
mb
Thanks everybody for taking my issue seriously! Im glad I’m not the only one
that felt the need for a basic guideline.
This is all very helpful. I will integrate these ideas...they will work in my situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ewing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Pitcher Rest Requirements

1-6 outs pitched (2 IP) ... no rest
7-9 outs pitched (2-1/3 - 3 IP) ... 1 day rest
10-12 outs pitched (3-1/3 - 4 IP) ... 2 days rest
13+ outs pitched (4-1/3 + IP) ... 3 days rest

Starting pitchers, regardless of length of outing ... 3 days rest*
Reliever used in relief three days in a row ... 1 day rest

*Reduce SP Fresh by 1 and Sem-Fresh by 1 if starting on 3 days rest.

SP used in relief: 2 innings FRESH 2 innings SEMI-FRESH
Maybe of use to you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John Ewing wrote:

Pitcher Rest Requirements

1-6 outs pitched (2 IP) ... no rest
7-9 outs pitched (2-1/3 - 3 IP) ... 1 day rest
10-12 outs pitched (3-1/3 - 4 IP) ... 2 days rest
13+ outs pitched (4-1/3 + IP) ... 3 days rest

Starting pitchers, regardless of length of outing ... 3 days rest*
Reliever used in relief three days in a row ... 1 day rest

*Reduce SP Fresh by 1 and Sem-Fresh by 1 if starting on 3 days rest.

SP used in relief: 2 innings FRESH 2 innings SEMI-FRESH
Maybe of use to you?
I use something similar to this. For one off games it depends on my opponent. Sometimes it is just picking and choosing for fun and other times we go for "realism" so a simple die roll determines the starting pitcher and reliever availability, then you do your best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.