Dreux Barbier
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Setup:
I am playing solo mode 1 character double up. I am a Summoner. The map is an inverted V.
I have decent combat stats: each one is at least 10, for a few are 11. My HPs are at 16 and I cannot buy gear to make it higher, because I've already paid as much as I could to boost it.
The Dead King (DK) was on his way to take the last city. I am prepared to free the city as far across the map from where he's going so he has to travel all the way back again, but even then, at speed 4, he's going really fast.
I'm thinking I could try to free more cities to delay him, but doing so might not really buy me more time, my map set up makes it difficult to place many more tiles. I am thinking my only chance is to teleport around a few times until I find another shrine, maybe free another city and hope for the best with chances to get more boosts. While running away from the DK.

Any other ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
Playing more games is better!
badge
Collecting games is not playing games!
mbmbmbmbmb
I almost said The Dead King is moving too slow, but then I realized I have not played solo, that dude scoots in Double Up with two players. I think he has a Dead Jetpack.

I would get the exotic maps to try to place as many tiles as you can to hopefully turn up something you need then teleport there. Until then kill monsters and get gold to buy more maps and teleporters. Keep bouncing around freeing cities and make him chase his goals while you power up to murder the dead. Unmurder the dead. Demurder the dead. One of those!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dreux Barbier
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My math is..
His move is 1 per dead City
He hasn't taken his 6th and so he's move 5, but next turn I free a city so then he's back to 4 for a turn or two until he captures the city he's running for, then he's 5 again. I almost wish you could set a decoy City or something like that on the new tiles to make him run even farther.
Or a trap or holy curse which slows him a tad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure your math is spot on, I just don't play games solo so I don't know the Double Up solo speed increase if there is one. In Double up with two players "The Dead King moves at the rate of 2 hexes + 1 hex per Fallen City and selects a new target in the same turn that he destroys a City.", so he was hauling tail around the board making cities less alive and much less available for commerce.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dreux Barbier
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be playing your way next time. I wanted the challenge of summoner alone. He always has to take at least half damage that first round and a lot of rounds still gets hit from multiple/group damage. No way around it that I can tell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is why I enjoy this game so much, I haven't played the summoner and I am not sure how he plays but I am looking forward to it coming up in my random choice so I can dig into the class.

Playing with two hitters Double Up was an awesome ramp but very obvious, playing a Sapper and a Healer was a way different game and we never found our ramp because of quest placement and making bad choices(that did not seem bad at the time) about exploring a bit first. Doverboy said we should buy a boat at the beginning as two of our quests were on water, but then we didn't and we explored and wasted a couple of rounds, by the time we got enough money for a boat even moving recklessly we couldn't get to an alive city to buy a boat for a couple of turns, wasted turns that let the Dead King run rampant. Then we analyzed afterwards and found a better way. That is a good game to me, something I want to think about afterwards, not to min/max but just look at the big picture and see what could have been done differently. Taking demonborn over golden Dragon was not smart but since he was Angelborn I found it funny to do so, not much would have changed, maybe, but it could have swung things a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dreux Barbier
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm finding it difficult to find a reason why you would not always buy mounts asap. For 1-2 characters it seems like a no brainer, maybe even necessity. For more, maybe get it right after a quest or fight or 2.
The rewards (achievements?) for doing lots of questions is kind of meh. I got 7 and you get a potion I think.
Also wondering if I interpreted this correctly: when moving carefully, since you only roll 2 dice, you will never have a chance at the bonus boosts for rolling 3 hexes on the d10s?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cajuntechie wrote:

Also wondering if I interpreted this correctly: when moving carefully, since you only roll 2 dice, you will never have a chance at the bonus boosts for rolling 3 hexes on the d10s?

I'm not sure about this one either. Seems as though you could choose to roll all dice anyway to try to get the 1,1,1 even though one of them is not required. Not sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stutz
msg tools
As far as strategy, I think the strategy every time you play needs to be finding shrines, and getting teleportation runes and all four talismen. Then free a fallen city on one side of the map and teleport to the other side of the map and free a second city. Slows down the king. Do some missions then repeat with the other two talismen. Then stay away until ready. I jacked up my level my last playthrough and was sure I was ready so I just had him bring it. He brought in the Bone Legion, I made the tactical error of not just wiping them out right away and got crushed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.