Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike West
United Kingdom
GUILDFORD
SURREY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a strange one this as my boardgame collection is primarily Co-op Thematic games, screw each other games and a few fun party games.

The co-op i play with my wife and the screw each other with my friends, but i've recently noticed that my wife is up for playing stuff where there is no direct competition.

I borrowed Karuba from a friend and it quickly became her favourite game as she got to do stuff without me coming along and screwing it up, so could any of you give me a list of thematic games where we could play competitively...

Important elements are:

1. You get to build/create/explore something.
2. Someone else cannot destroy or affect the thing you are doing. She said, if was able to remove or block one of her tiles, she'd hate Karuba. I'm assuming therefore even a game where each location has a specific number of slots to place villagers she'd hate, as i could grab the space she wanted.
3. It must be thematic, she hates bland stuff.
4. It can't be a pure economic game. She moans about too many boardgames being about 'trading bags of poo' and glazes over immediately if they tend to be about 15th Century Brussels or trains (I kind of agree on this).

So, fun, multi-solitaire (Equal resources for Karuba is good) and maybe a little more complex so that i also enjoy it more than Karuba as that is a bit simple for me.

Thanks,

Mike.......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is Race for the Galaxy, which is a great game, even though not super-thematic (the theme is there, but I simply wouldn't call it a highly thematic game).

Terraforming Mars could work well, if you simply leave out the "destructive elements" of some cards. There is only very little of that and it does not make a big difference, if you simply skip them. The cards work, even without those, as they are just a little added bonus, not the main effect.

A Feast for Odin looks daunting. Very much so. But it really isn't a hard to understand game, once you get to play everything just falls into place. It's worker placement, so you cannot take the spots that other players have used, already, for the round, but there are so many options, that this really isn't a big deal. There is always something else to do, and all the important stuff has multiple instances, anyways.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike West
United Kingdom
GUILDFORD
SURREY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
There is Race for the Galaxy, which is a great game, even though not super-thematic (the theme is there, but I simply wouldn't call it a highly thematic game).

Terraforming Mars could work well, if you simply leave out the "destructive elements" of some cards. There is only very little of that and it does not make a big difference, if you simply skip them. The cards work, even without those, as they are just a little added bonus, not the main effect.

A Feast for Odin looks daunting. Very much so. But it really isn't a hard to understand game, once you get to play everything just falls into place. It's worker placement, so you cannot take the spots that other players have used, already, for the round, but there are so many options, that this really isn't a big deal. There is always something else to do, and all the important stuff has multiple instances, anyways.

Bye
Thanee

I used to have Race for the Galaxy, great game, but the fact i can choose what roles to pick each turn, and therefore screw her by not picking build or whatever, she'd not like it. It is also not the friendliest game to pick up .

She might run away from that action board in Odin.

Terraforming Mars is a maybe, but I'd rather not have to leave out bits of a game, as that would mess with the balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The most multiplayer solitaire game I can think of is Fields of Green. It’s got a really nice theme with art if she’s into the countryside?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Village Idiot
United States
Palm Harbor
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grand Austria Hotel
Rajas of the Ganges
Quadropolis
Shakespeare
The Networks
Castell
Alhambra
Sanssouci
Village
Orléans
Shipyard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Ramble
United States
Newtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Lewis & Clark
Patchwork or Bärenpark
Paperback
Snowdonia (train themed but not exactly trains)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Osborn
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dinosaur Island? Reprint and Expansion still on Kickstarter for 32 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike West
United Kingdom
GUILDFORD
SURREY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert666 wrote:
The most multiplayer solitaire game I can think of is Fields of Green. It’s got a really nice theme with art if she’s into the countryside?

Hmm, that might work, don't know if there is a little 'too' much interactivity between tiles to keep track of to make her not feel like it's work though.

I assume there is no way of pillaging the other Player's farm? Just drafting a card before they can, which is pretty indirect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Most games that are derogatorily deemed "multiplayer solitaire" in fact have at least some interaction, and often quite a bit of it, but just not the kind preferred by high screwage players. So, it's going to be hard to find your thematic game with zero interaction. However, there's an alternative solution that will greatly increase the options available: simply promise not to mess with her stuff when you play any game together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike West
United Kingdom
GUILDFORD
SURREY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, i'll take her through this list soon and see what she thinks, i can see a few already that would appeal .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike West
United Kingdom
GUILDFORD
SURREY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quill65 wrote:
Most games that are derogatorily deemed "multiplayer solitaire" in fact have at least some interaction, and often quite a bit of it, but just not the kind preferred by high screwage players. So, it's going to be hard to find your thematic game with zero interaction. However, there's an alternative solution that will greatly increase the options available: simply promise not to mess with her stuff when you play any game together.

Ah, the problem with is that i'm a game designer and a min/maxer, so removing part of someone's game design is completely alien to me, i want to play it how they created it. I think things like drafting hands is pretty safe as it is a very non confrontational part of the game even though you are affecting each other for example.

Alhambra is a pretty good call, i used to have that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If she loves Karuba I think there's an excellent chance she'll also love Sagrada.

Another possibility is Pagoda, though it has a tiny bit of mild interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If she thinks the action selection in RftG has too much screwage, then I don't see a lot of options. Worker placement would be completely out. I'd guess a game like Paperback would be an issue because you could buy the card she wanted. Maybe go with a cooperative game? Or maybe Dungeon Roll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gothnak wrote:
Norbert666 wrote:

Hmm, that might work, don't know if there is a little 'too' much interactivity between tiles to keep track of to make her not feel like it's work though.

I assume there is no way of pillaging the other Player's farm? Just drafting a card before they can, which is pretty indirect.

No pillaging, but there is a bit of upkeep to run through. Must admit I wasn’t particularly keen on it, but that was because of the solitairness.

Sagrada mentioned above is great and is our current go-to game, but it’s quite puzzley and you can mess with the other player if you’re that way inclined. It’s very indirect however and never feels nasty or that someone messed up your plans.

We’re also playing Indian Summer a lot at the moment. Again, there is one way to steal a tile from an opponent, but tbh, I’m so crap at the puzzle aspect, I wouldn’t realise if it messes with me or not - I’m rubbish either way!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Above and Below, you build buildings in your village (above), train new villagers, explore the caverns (below), and build outposts in those caverns. While exploring, you get little story vignettes to react to, thus gaining money and resources. Player interaction is restricted to buying a building or villager the other person wants.

In Unfair, you build a theme park. The first half of the game, the city helps you; the last half, the city hinders you; the city events apply to all players. Other event cards have two parts: the top helps you, the bottom is an attack on another player. The game includes Game Changer cards to modify the game to suit your wishes. So far, we've always played with World Peace, which forbids those event card attacks. With World Peace, interaction is restricted to taking a card the other person wants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Take a look at Factory Fun.

You build something: A factory.

There is only one moment of player interaction where new "machine" tiles are turned over and you race to choose one each. Instead, we always take 2 random machine tiles each, then choose which one to use and which to discard.

Other than that there is no player interaction at all except keeping an eye on the opponent's score. When I play, I don't even look at the opponent's score because this is one game that I play just for the fun of building a nice complicated factory with pipes running all over the place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Jordheim
Norway
Stavanger
Rogaland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most Roll and writes will fit your request. The dice tower just did an audio segment on them that could be really helpful.

As for me, if you have tried and like Karuba, I would recommend Welcome To DinoWorld. It is a free to download, but beautifully illustrated, roll and write where you compete to make the best dinosaur park. It has spatial reasoning, Karuba style path laying and the game throws in possible wrenches into your plan with dice and dinosaurs trying to escape.

Others to try, that I love are:

Roll for the Galaxy
Jump Drive
Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age
Indian Summer (but be careful of those mushrooms)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.