Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, weird, probably broken idea that I'd love your input on.

Giga-Draft (4-6 players)

1. Prep: Each player brings a 33 card robot deck (including all 3 ultimates) and a 10 card pilot deck. Each player also brings the boards and abilities for their chosen pilot and robot.

2. Robot Draft Setup: Each player sets the ultimate techniques aside, and shuffles their 30 robot cards, and sets aside 10 random facedown cards. Each player's remaining 20 cards into a single deck.

3. 1st Robot Draft: Deal each player 10 cards. Each player chooses a single card, and passes the rest to the left (clockwise). Repeat until all the cards have been drafted.

4. 2nd Robot Draft. Deal each player 10 more cards. Repeat the draft, passing to the right (counter clockwise).

5. Pilot Draft Setup: Each player shuffles their 10 pilot cards, and sets 5 aside. The other 5 are shuffled into a single deck.

6. Pilot Draft: Deal each player 5 pilot cards. Draft, passing to the left (clockwise).

7. Ultimate Techniques: Each player randomly discards one of their ultimate techniques, and places the other two in the center of the table. All ultimate techniques are shuffled into a single deck, and two are dealt to each player, which they keep.

8. Deck Construction: Each player now builds a 15-card deck from their 20 draft robot cards and 5 drafted pilot cards. For their ultimate technique, they can choose either of the two ultimates they have. Unused cards are set aside, and may serve as a sideboard if playing multiple games.

9. Ability Selection: Each player now chooses one of their pilot's abilities and three of their robot's abilities, as standard, with one exception. If a player leaves one of their robot ability slots blank, they are considered to have the following ability:

Cosmic Chimera Blade! - You may receive 1 Panic to Trigger: You may ignore the robot ability requirement on any card you play until the end of this turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rock Bronson

Kansas City
Kansas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It might be broken, lol, but I'm sure it would create some really unique games! From the beginning I've been curious myself about a draft variant. I think Cosmic Chimera Blade is a clever way to make the draft workable, nicely done.

I might try to put together a draft variant too. Might be that you and I are the only ones interested, but I think it's a neat way to play and worth exploring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was primarily inspired by King of Tokyo "mutation draft."

And it make make some CRAZY games, but I think it would be "balanced" by the fact that:

a) your cards are open information, and

b) it's a multi-player free-for-all

I mean, will anyone ever play this variant? Maybe not.

But was it worth posting? Probably not.

But does it hurt anyone to have it posted? Probably somehow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another take on Giga-Drafting, which could work with 2-6 players.

Each player brings all the cards for a particular robot and pilot.

Shuffle the 30 robot cards and the 10 pilot cards together.

1.) Draw two cards. Keep one, discard the other.

2.) Repeat 19 more times.

3.) Randomly discard one ultimate, then look at the remaining two. Keep one, discard the other.

4.) Build your deck out of what you drafted (adding whatever pilot/robot abilities you choose).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oblivion Doll
New Zealand
flag msg tools
This game variant sounds stupid.

But... the good kind of stupid. Like G Gundam or almost every super robot anime series ever. If you overanalyse or try to make sense of it, it's senseless drivel, but you're meant to just go with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
obliviondoll wrote:
But... the good kind of stupid.

That's my brand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.