Arvid A Cederholm
msg tools
Here's an ugly mock-up for an app tracking turn order (top two rows) and current player (the yellow highlight at Sol), Victory points (third row) and objectives and other VP sources (the following rows).

The Sol player makes their move and it's Xxcha's turn.

Xxcha passes, taking them out of the turn order and it's Letnev's turn.

Now I need the help of a crafty person or talented team to make this a real thing. I can design and create/scan/borrow art assets (for the final product, I envision something in line with the TI4 card design) and also do audio design in a pinch, but I need to team up with someone who knows programming. Of course, this is all unpaid fan effort.

===My idea with this util is to...===
1) Speed up the game with the current player tracker. I'd like to add audio cues as well ("Xxchas turn. Next up, Letnev")
2) Remove objective cards and VP tracker from the table to free up space and make them more visible on a computer screen, tablet or projector canvas. (Especially new players tend to need a reminder that the game is about the objectives)
3) Help players plan their strategies by highlighting what objectives they can gun for and what their opponents probably are gunning for.

===Features needed===
1) A "Tactical tab" (the mock-up) where a quick input moves to the next player, another input passes (grays out) a player and moves to the next player, another input displays a strategy card as exhausted and moves to the next player.
2) A "Strategy" tab for choosing strategy cards for every player
3) A "Status" tab for scoring VPs (can be done by simply clicking the corresponding box) and drawing random objectives
4) Taking Naalu and their promissary note into account

===Possible bonus features===
1) Being able to pick and choose objectives (instead of randomizing)
2) Online support with "room codes" so everyone can display the same game in their own device
3) Keeping track of bonus counters on unpicked strategy cards

Do you want to turn this into reality with me?

Pax magnifica!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Szymon Stuglik
Germany
Darmstadt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arvidos wrote:
Here's an ugly mock-up for an app tracking turn order (top two rows) and current player (the yellow highlight at Sol), Victory points (third row) and objectives and other VP sources (the following rows).

The Sol player makes their move and it's Xxcha's turn.

Xxcha passes, taking them out of the turn order and it's Letnev's turn.

Now I need the help of a crafty person or talented team to make this a real thing. I can design and create/scan/borrow art assets (for the final product, I envision something in line with the TI4 card design) and also do audio design in a pinch, but I need to team up with someone who knows programming. Of course, this is all unpaid fan effort.

===My idea with this util is to...===
1) Speed up the game with the current player tracker. I'd like to add audio cues as well ("Xxchas turn. Next up, Letnev")
2) Remove objective cards and VP tracker from the table to free up space and make them more visible on a computer screen, tablet or projector canvas. (Especially new players tend to need a reminder that the game is about the objectives)
3) Help players plan their strategies by highlighting what objectives they can gun for and what their opponents probably are gunning for.

===Features needed===
1) A "Tactical tab" (the mock-up) where a quick input moves to the next player, another input passes (grays out) a player and moves to the next player, another input displays a strategy card as exhausted and moves to the next player.
2) A "Strategy" tab for choosing strategy cards for every player
3) A "Status" tab for scoring VPs (can be done by simply clicking the corresponding box) and drawing random objectives
4) Taking Naalu and their promissary note into account

===Possible bonus features===
1) Being able to pick and choose objectives (instead of randomizing)
2) Online support with "room codes" so everyone can display the same game in their own device
3) Keeping track of bonus counters on unpicked strategy cards

Do you want to turn this into reality with me?

Pax magnifica!

I'd be interested in that project. I'm a software developer, I can produce that type of application, but I won't be able to start before 14th of May (PM me and we'll work out the details ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KR P
South Africa
flag msg tools
This is an awesome initiative.

If I had any programming skills I would have gladly helped.

In terms of content of the app, have you had a look at the TI3 Stats app on the google store? That app tracks players techs and gives you a summary of any potential battle values, etc.

I feel incorporating that into your app will make it that much more complete.

And should you want to take it further, you could even incorporate planets that players currently control, listing out the tech/planet traits as well.

Goodluck on this venture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arvid A Cederholm
msg tools
stugal wrote:
I'd be interested in that project. I'm a software developer, I can produce that type of application, but I won't be able to start before 14th of May (PM me and we'll work out the details ).

Excellent! I'd get back to you in just a little bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Solie
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The_Law_Beckons wrote:
In terms of content of the app, have you had a look at the TI3 Stats app on the google store? That app tracks players techs and gives you a summary of any potential battle values, etc.

I've been working on creating something very similar to this as a spreadsheet with the hope of being able to use it with the multiuser editing functionality of Google Drive/Sheets. I figured that would make it more accessible because from what I understand you need to program things differently for Android/IOS. Also my programming knowledge is slim to none, so a spreadsheet was the way I could accomplish this.

I'm probably 50-75% done. I could either share my work for this project (if that would be helpful), or finish producing the stat tracker separately, or both. The UI is going to be clunkier in a spreadsheet, but in my testing so far it has been functional and isn't too dissimilar from the TI3 Stats app from what I can see from the screenshots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Szymon Stuglik
Germany
Darmstadt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bonitatem wrote:
The_Law_Beckons wrote:

I've been working on creating something very similar to this as a spreadsheet with the hope of being able to use it with the multiuser editing functionality of Google Drive/Sheets. I figured that would make it more accessible because from what I understand you need to program things differently for Android/IOS. Also my programming knowledge is slim to none, so a spreadsheet was the way I could accomplish this.

I'm probably 50-75% done. I could either share my work for this project (if that would be helpful), or finish producing the stat tracker separately, or both. The UI is going to be clunkier in a spreadsheet, but in my testing so far it has been functional and isn't too dissimilar from the TI3 Stats app from what I can see from the screenshots.

I'd be happy to incorporate whatever you have into the application. Basically I'm happy to do the coding but would love to have people to work on the actual content etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arvid A Cederholm
msg tools
The_Law_Beckons wrote:

And should you want to take it further, you could even incorporate planets that players currently control, listing out the tech/planet traits as well.

Thanks, TLB! Those are some good suggestions, we'll look into it. There's already some talk on tech/planet tracking as well. It'll be open source, so anyone can pick up and continue as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arvid A Cederholm
msg tools
Stugal, you got PM!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james herbby
msg tools
The_Law_Beckons wrote:

That isn't a bad idea.

All the systems are numbered. Maybe a grid where you can plug in that number and the system pops up. Would make games easier to keep track of for battle reports and questions.

*Edit*

While I can't program I would be willing to chuck a few bucks if necessary.

If money isn't an option I can throw out ideas of what I would like to see in the app if possible. XP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitry Volevodz
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Are you working with someone? I'm an iOS developer and I might have time for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Solie
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The project I was working on is done and can be found here: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/164281/ti4-stats-combat-v...

Basically I ended up trying to track most things that I might have to walk to the other side of the table to see, so VPs/objectives, racial abilities/tech, researched techs, elect player agendas, and unit stats (with combat comparisons). Won't get a chance to try it in a live game for a while, but it seems to work well in testing aside from some initial slowness in the Google Sheets version. I couldn't think of a solution I liked for tracking turn order/current player/passing in a spreadsheet, so I didn't include that.

Anyone who wants to use my work as part of creating an app is welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.