Frederic Banville
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Which zone would be the destination for the zombies if:
1) No survivors are in Line of Sight.
2) All survivors are alone in their respective zones.
3) No noise tokens are on the board.

Nearest? Split (even in three if there's 3 different possible directions)?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Each zone containing a survivor would be considered a destination/target zone. Zombies would take the shortest available path to each zone. There may be splitting depending on how the map is laid out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Banville
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, possibly splitting in four if, for example, the zombie zone would be a crossroad and the survivors are scattered in all corners of the map?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. That's why it pays to really think about noise. sometimes it's worth forfeiting an attack, so that someone can make noise and avoid there being multiple destinations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I house rule it to be closest highest noise. It simplifies it and prevents too much splitting (although I've house ruled out adding zombies when splitting). Also if you think about it, if two people are making the same amount of noise, the closer one will be louder to the zombies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Banville
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We also house rule not adding zombies while splitting. I like your idea of closest means also loudest. I will try that.

Thank you all for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AlreadyPicked wrote:
Hello,

Which zone would be the destination for the zombies if:
1) No survivors are in Line of Sight.
2) All survivors are alone in their respective zones.
3) No [additional] noise tokens are on the board.

Nearest? Split (even in three if there's 3 different possible directions)?

Never nearest. Every survivor generates a noise token just for being there, so I've added the missing word above. Per the rules (last paragraph of "Move" before "Special Cases for Splitting", pg. 26). If there possible destination zones have the same amount of noise (no Line of Sight, etc), then the zombies split to each of them. This is a critical game mechanic, and the game becomes even easier without it.

Note, that if there is equal distance routes, then they could re-split. As someone said, sometimes it's worth someone making a noise to avoid this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
McChew wrote:
I house rule it to be closest highest noise. It simplifies it and prevents too much splitting (although I've house ruled out adding zombies when splitting). Also if you think about it, if two people are making the same amount of noise, the closer one will be louder to the zombies.

Note that both of these house rules decrease difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Praetor Kamahl
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Dormammu wrote:

Not strictly. You can pretty easily cheese problematic abominations with the base rules - multiple activation types are rendered mostly harmless because you can toggle them back and forth between destination zones. The difficulty change is barely notable compared to the quality of life gained when not having to sweat splitting on 8 different squares because you have two zones tied for the most noise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Banville
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
McChew wrote:

Yes, I agree in most cases it does reduce the difficulty. I will confer that to my other players.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PKamahl wrote:
Dormammu wrote:

Not strictly. You can pretty easily cheese problematic abominations with the base rules - multiple activation types are rendered mostly harmless because you can toggle them back and forth between destination zones.

But this isn't a very common situation. If you do find yourself in this situation, it's pretty easy to keep the abomination moving in one direction.

PKamahl wrote:
The difficulty change is barely notable compared to the quality of life gained when not having to sweat splitting on 8 different squares because you have two zones tied for the most noise.

The difficulty change is definitely there. In order to avoid having zones with equal noise, you often have to forfeit actions (movement, opening doors, spells). To me, it sounds like you're saying, "I'm just not going to think about noise so that the game is easier."

Zombicide is simple enough. I don't mind having to carefully plan in order to avoid having zones with equal noise on the board. Again, Zombicide is easily customizable. Play how you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
waxbottle wrote:
PKamahl wrote:
Dormammu wrote:

Not strictly. You can pretty easily cheese problematic abominations with the base rules - multiple activation types are rendered mostly harmless because you can toggle them back and forth between destination zones.

But this isn't a very common situation. If you do find yourself in this situation, it's pretty easy to keep the abomination moving in one direction.

PKamahl wrote:
The difficulty change is barely notable compared to the quality of life gained when not having to sweat splitting on 8 different squares because you have two zones tied for the most noise.

The difficulty change is definitely there. In order to avoid having zones with equal noise, you often have to forfeit actions (movement, opening doors, spells). To me, it sounds like you're saying, "I'm just not going to think about noise so that the game is easier."

Zombicide is simple enough. I don't mind having to carefully plan in order to avoid having zones with equal noise on the board. Again, Zombicide is easily customizable. Play how you like.

I agree, house rules that make noise less crucial basically take away the game, without noise the game is just rolling dice and seeing what happens, noise is one mechanisms that you have perfect control over and that give you a chance to plan out and think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.