6 Posts

Anachrony» Forums » General

Subject: Using Exosuit Commander modules on your first play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Jones
Ireland
flag msg tools
Just wondering if people recommend including any of the Exosuit Commander modules for the first play of the game or are they best left until you've had a few plays of the base game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pruden
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DO NOT use the modules on your first play. The game is a very full game without them and take a couple plays to fully get used to the gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And more inportantly, please experience the core gameplay like i intended it. Don't use any modules for at least a few games. Not because they're complicated, I believe you can handle them. Don't use them so that you can learn to appreciate the core before you replace parts of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

More to the point... why would you want to?????????

I guess if you plan on playing the game only once in your lifetime, then maybe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jones
Ireland
flag msg tools
bgm1961 wrote:

More to the point... why would you want to?????????

I guess if you plan on playing the game only once in your lifetime, then maybe.

Honestly this is largely the motivation, the game rotation with my group is rough so unless the game really catches on it might only get played once or twice.

n3x3n wrote:
DO NOT use the modules on your first play. The game is a very full game without them and take a couple plays to fully get used to the gameplay.

TDaver wrote:
And more inportantly, please experience the core gameplay like i intended it. Don't use any modules for at least a few games. Not because they're complicated, I believe you can handle them. Don't use them so that you can learn to appreciate the core before you replace parts of it.

Thanks for the advice. I'll leave them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Uthred wrote:
Honestly this is largely the motivation, the game rotation with my group is rough so unless the game really catches on it might only get played once or twice.

Well, if you want the game to catch on to new players (I'm with you there!), do NOT use the modules for their first game. It will only turn them off, as the game is complex, rich, and satisfying enough without them.

There are a few hardcore Eurogamer braniac-type deep thinking players in my local Meet-up group. (I'm NOT one of them)! I've been trying for months to get them to play Anachrony. They keep saying "No", because the game appears to be too complex, plus the relatively long teaching time is something they want to avoid. But they did promise to play it with me at an upcoming gaming convention, when they would have more time to learn the game.

So now imagine if I dumped the modules upon them for that first game? Ha! I'd never get them to learn another game with me ever again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.