Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Hartman
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just getting started with Slaughterball, wife was really interested in trying out some of the futuristic sports games (the more violent the better...lol).

Slaughterball appealed due to it having a simplified mode, more advanced mode and then of course the league/season play. We are just starting learning the game, but I've seen that it's difficult to find the other stuff with the exception of the publisher's website so was trying to determine what the consensus is on the teams and add-ons that people felt were necessary (I wish there were extra generic dice, for example, as the OCD in me will compel me to buy each color for each team if I start...lol). But the different arenas especially I'm not sure about.

I know we want Quad, as 2 player will be frequent. I was looking over The Dojo and The Colliseum as other board choices as well. As we haven't even dug into the original 4 teams, I'm not sure how important other teams will be yet. It seems arena boards could offer a lot of replayability and variation.

Any and all suggestions on this would be much appreciated. A bit on why you might go with a certain arena board or team would help as well, as I'm not sure how much I want to complicate it YET... (like adding a lot of additional rules)

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hopkins
England
flag msg tools
mbmb
I went for the Quad (2 player board) and two extra teams (The Legion and Gruesomes). I picked the quad because, like you, I’ll mostly play two player (plus it looks more like a Speedball arena). I picked the two teams for no other reason than they looked cool.

Really the 4 teams in the base game are sufficient (unless you want to set up a league), plus the quad arena.

I’ve not tried the other boards/arenas so can’t comment on what value they bring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
Playing more games is better!
badge
Collecting games is not playing games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quad! I play the game almost solely with 2 players and the Quad is a must. Swords vs Carnage, with the speed and scoring ability differential make Carnage more difficult in the bigger arenas, but in the Quad, someone is always getting smashed or Bamboozled! I think the Katanas board is smaller, but even though I own all the boards I primarily play on the Quad as it lives in the main box and is perfect for two players. If I played in a league I would get the other boards out and the Carnage board has spikes to stomp people onto for extra bloody goodness so if you want more violence I can recommend that one.

As for teams the four in the main box are all you need to have fun, a scorey team, a smashy team, a movement oriented mess with the other team team and a card team. The other teams all have cool stuff and are fun, if you play enough you will most likely want the various teams because they feel balanced but play differently and add to the depth of the game. I played Swords a ton and switched to Nemesis and I have to look at the game very differently as my powers are now mostly based on cards, so I have to switch up my plays based on all the cards I draw. No one is especially good, but once you start smacking cards down on the board my average butcher is a beast or my average scorer is a sharpshooter. Man, I love this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hartman
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, for now I've ordered the quad board from the Slaughterball store. I'll hold off on anything else for now until I see how much the wife enjoys it (and see if maybe another Kickstarter comes up so I can bundle the rest).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Ballou
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quad no doubt, a two player board is useful.

Fury and Legion are the two strongest expansion teams, IMHO.

Fury is violent fun to play, described as "Glass Cannons" either you slaughter your opponents or you implode.

Legion's leadership is very powerful. The team is not terribly powerful on the face of it, but with leadership they do everything well.

Katana's are cool looking figs but not a very good team, or at least I haven't figured out how to play them well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hartman
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After receiving an email from Frog the What games (They saw the BGG post here and my order for the quad arena) I was so impressed with their customer service I went and ordered all the extra teams, a few other team arenas, and some dice.

Been in the middle of a Shadespire league with my daughter (routinely getting my skeletons destroyed by her Stormcasts) but hoping to play Slaughterball with the family soon! I think this will be the sports game my wife will really enjoy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FunkyFlyChicken wrote:
After receiving an email from Frog the What games (They saw the BGG post here and my order for the quad arena) I was so impressed with their customer service I went and ordered all the extra teams, a few other team arenas, and some dice.

Been in the middle of a Shadespire league with my daughter (routinely getting my skeletons destroyed by her Stormcasts) but hoping to play Slaughterball with the family soon! I think this will be the sports game my wife will really enjoy...

Can confirm, I love both games for very similar reasons. They are both all about positioning, card play and dice. Shadespire is an awesome quick brutal tactical skirmish game while Slaughterball draws it out a bit more, no deckbuilding so it is easier to hop into a game and smash and score and there are ways to pull off Hail Mary plays that Shadespire does not have. You will be very happy with your purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hartman
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I feel that same way! When my wife originally asked for Blood Bowl, I hadn't tried any of those sports/skirmish hybrids. I had only dabbled in miniature skirmish style board games like Dungeon Command, but my daughter and I absolutely loved a game called Navia Drapt. That lacked the card play, and was closer to "anime chess with player powers" but was all about positioning and building your team/using them right.

I Couldn't figure out at first why my daughter liked Shadespire so much, until it hit me that again, the game is all about positioning and planning, yet it also has the dice to make or break the best plans (or the boldest/dumbest moves...lol). She really hasn't done any of the deck building though, having started out with the Stormcast from the core set and using that pre-built deck.

I had looked then at other sports games, as my wife took a look at Blood Bowl and wasn't sure what to think. Guild Ball was definitely not going to work for her, as measuring and moving everyone around and all wasn't going to interest her. I didn't know much of DreadBall, that looked like an updated Blood Bowl. I knew she was going to want combat and fast paced gameplay, and the card play needed to be on the "simpler" side. All in all, for the wife it needed to be closer to the board game side than a true miniatures game (my daughter however, seems to be interested in the minis games).

Looking over everything for Slaughterball, the different ways of play (pick a color and go, pick a team and play with more options/varying stats, play a season) meant it could really be pushed as a "legacy" style game, which has been interesting both my wife AND daughter lately.

I appreciate all the comments and suggestions! I'll be sure to post our thoughts after the playthrough, the hope is for a 3 player game over the weekend if we don't have time tonight. I've been holding off on playing 2p games too until that quad board arrives, as my wife is really picky and if a game doesn't grab her right away it likely won't see the table with her again...lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will tell you about my brush with Dreadball, there are no points scored for beating someone down. The dude I played with likes to play a hitty smashy team and all I had to do was score one "Three pointer" and he was done for scoring, he may kill all my guys but his scorers were not good. It is much more tactical and more akin to basketball to me anyway. He tolerated it but once Slaughterball showed up and it was more dice and points for scoring, for knocking people down, for knocking them out of the game, then the tables turned and our win loss ratio is pretty even, once we went to the quad.

Blood Bowl, which I did just pick up and have not played in physical form does have the measuring ruler for distance of pass and that can feel fiddly from what I have read, but it seems a little more complex while Slaughterball can be dug into on a deeper level with some of the teams but it can also fill a beer and pretzels game where it is play to have fun and pull of BAMBOOZLES! You will come to love this card. I love this card. Super situational, but when it comes up, especially with the Swords player, it is pure gaming nirvana.

I look forward to hearing your take on it! Game on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.