The Mind» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Great first play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shotgun Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played it today with some buddies at work (there were 3 of us). They aren't heavy board gamers but have dabbled in abridged versions of King of Tokyo and Smash Up before, so they were willing to try out this one.

Wow. We had a blast.

When I first heard of the concept of this game, I was very skeptical and immediately dismissed it. I'm someone who normally enjoys games such as Arcadia Quest and Mansions of Madness: Second Edition. Now that I have tried it, I would recommend others to try it out as well.

I deal out the cards (1 card each).

Level 1

I had the 87. We're looking at each other for a few seconds and one of them says... "So, like, we're aren't supposed to tell what card we have? How do we know..."

"You just have to... *trust*... that someone doesn't have a lower card than you."

Everyone's faces scrunch up in confusion. We're glancing around at each other, waiting for someone else to make the first move.

After about 5 - 10 seconds of silence, someone slowly puts their card on the table, but not face up. Not yet. A few more seconds of glances, and he flips his card over.

It's the 15.

I immediately lock eyes with the other player. Unless he happens to have a card higher than the 87, we will win.

Or... does he?

I don't know.

What if he has a card in the 90s?!

Finally, he hesitantly places his card on the table. Turns it over.

It's the 63.

I immediately place my card down and the entire table erupts in cheers!

laugh

You can see some kind of realization dawn on everyone's faces. There's a certain... well... timing and rythmn about the game.

Level 2.

Without a moments notice, someone puts down the 4. Immediately, the same player puts down the 9. A 24 is played somewhat slowly, we all lock eyes for a few seconds... ok it's the 24. WHEW!

Then there's a pause. One player already emptied his hands. I have 2 left, the other guy has one. He absolutely refuses to reach for his card. This stalemate lasts a solid 10 seconds.

I have a 77 and a 93. The last card played was a 24. He only has one card left in his hand but adamantly refuses to touch his cards. He drums his fingers on the table.

OK fine. I hold my breath and slowly place the 77 down.

WHEW!

I'm staring at him but he's still not budging.

I put down the 93. He grins widely and puts down the 95!

OMG WE'RE TOO GOOD AT THIS GAME!

modest

Now we're getting a bit cocky! Wow this game is way easier than we thought it was going to be!

Level 3.

An immediate STOP!

The 1.

Immediately: The 7. A second later, the 18 (OOOHHH!!!).

Then a moment. A pause.

I have the fricking 74, 75, and 76 in my hand! Did someone shuffle this or what?!

I raise my hand (signal to use a Shuriken). Everyone agrees.

A 32 is discarded (making one player out of cards).
I discard the 74.
The other player discards an 80!

Me and the other dude are like:

STOP! The 75!

STOP! The 76!

The last player discards his last card, the 98.

GG!

This went on for about another 10 minutes. We got all the way up to Level 9 and lost. It was still a great time.

Final Thoughts:

Yes. I can and will say that this game surprised me. It's so... different... compared to every game I've played before. It's fresh and it's certainly like no other. The lack OF game play is what makes this game so elegant to teach and so easy to introduce newcomers into the hobby.

At first, just hearing the basic rules that you aren't allowed to talk or signal seems like the game would be literally impossible to play ("We're supposed to just read each other's minds?!). No, that's not the case at all. It's about reading body language and getting familiar with each other's gestures and sense of timing. After the first round, the hidden subtleties of the game becomes apparent once you've actually experienced it. Yes, I suppose there is luck involved. However, when your friend throws down a 19, and you have the 20, but another person is going to throw down a card and you shout STOP! You put down the 20 and the other puts down a 21... that is guaranteed to bring the entire table into an uncontrollable fit of laughing and grinning. That's what party games are supposed to do, and The Mind does it excellently.

(out of 5)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Well said!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Levine
United States
California
flag msg tools
Great write up! Nice job getting to level 9 on your first try. We only made it to level 2 the first time! One of the great things about The Mind is in addition to being unique and fresh, it's also fun to play, and your post really captures that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfie Noakes
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice write up. Made me want to play a game I never would have touched otherwise.

Sounds like it would be perfect to play in a cafe/pub before boardgame night.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Bird
United Kingdom
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes, it's great fun and you've captured its essence beautifully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Browne
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Fantastic write up and use of memes/gifs.

My copy is on the way. Should I reserve my first play to 3+ players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Levine
United States
California
flag msg tools
Jon Browne, I've played it with 2 and 3 players, and it's been great with either player count. I haven't played it with 4 yet, but from what I've heard, it seems to work great with any player count (2, 3, or 4).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
twoeyedcyclops wrote:
Jon Browne, I've played it with 2 and 3 players, and it's been great with either player count. I haven't played it with 4 yet, but from what I've heard, it seems to work great with any player count (2, 3, or 4).

You can even stretch it to 5 too and it's still fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Osterman
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
twoeyedcyclops wrote:

You can even stretch it to 5 too and it's still fun.

I used it in my class today with groups of 3-5. All were able to make it work, though kids in the 3 person groups found it easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zamborsky
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Ah, Denny, I've hardly seen you this episode."
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in awe of your Mind skillz. My wife and I played half a dozen times last week and our best was Level 7.

We'll try again soon to beat the thing. Clever and lots of fun, though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.