7 Posts

Star Wars: Legion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Why Move/Not Move Individual Minis into Melee? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Nanninga
msg tools
mb
Step #3 of "Starting a Melee" specifies that the opponent moves any minis not already in base contact with an enemy mini into base contact with minis from the unit that started the melee. But then it gives this exception:

"If the opponent's unit does not have a melee weapon, the opponent does not move their minis into base contact with the unit that started the melee."

Why is it significant whether all minis are or are not moved into base contact? The rest of melee rules seems to make it clear that either the entire unit is in melee or it is not, not individual minis. (Likewise, being "engaged" applies to an entire unit.) I don't see any mechanics that would be affected by whether specific minis are in base contact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson K
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribed. Good question. Ive only played a few games but I’m finding I’m spending a lot of time in the rules reference guide. This is my first war game. There’s a lot more edge cases than I’m used to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Becker
United States
Yardley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is saying you don't move the second speeder bike when the first gets into melee. It is written in a generalized way so it will effect any multi-vehicle unit in the future as well. But for now the only unit in the game it effects is the speeder bike. It is the only unit that has more than one mini in the unit and also has no melee attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nanninga
msg tools
mb
I don't think that's true. A standard Stormtrooper unit doesn't have a melee weapon.

But regardless, the question still stands: WHY is it important to avoid moving the second speeder bike directly into base contact with a mini in the attacking unit? That's just aesthetics. Either way, the entire speeder unit is in melee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the units models are fighting so they move into contact so are actually fighting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan G
msg tools
Regarding units with compulsory move, if you could pull them into base contact, you'd be able to setup situations where on their turn they would crash into terrain or fly off the board.

I'd imagine there will be other units where forcing them to move into base contact would make them a lot less effective. Like sacrificing a single trooper to move a non-melee vehicle so it no longer has a target in its firing arc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Becker
United States
Yardley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tarsus wrote:
I don't think that's true. A standard Stormtrooper unit doesn't have a melee weapon.

But regardless, the question still stands: WHY is it important to avoid moving the second speeder bike directly into base contact with a mini in the attacking unit? That's just aesthetics. Either way, the entire speeder unit is in melee.

Standard storm troopers do have a melee weapon. Bottom left of the card, unarmed, 1 black die. Yes, fists count as a melee weapon.

It is more than aesthetics, vehicles cannot put the movement tool anywhere they want, it must start in the notch. They cannot sidestep. But moving one in to base contact (this assumes it is the commander you are moving) would allow it to alter it's course. It also means its heading is no longer fixed. If you are simply picking it up and placing it what is to say you can't pivot it too? Also, moving the miniatures into base contact is done to show they are engaged and to make that game state known for later turns. Vehicles cannot be engaged so there is no reason to make that move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.