Hide
6 Posts

Here I Stand» Forums » Rules

Subject: 9.1 Negotiation Announcements rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
KC Mo
msg tools
I'd like to get clarity regarding 9.1 negotiation announcements. If two powers plan to enter into an agreement, must the power that acts first in impulse order announce the agreement? Can the Protestant player never announce an agreement. In other words, are the Protestants limited to confirming agreements announced by other powers?

Here's the section I'm looking at:

"When this time limit is reached (or discussions have ended), each
power (in Impulse Order) declares any agreements it has made that
will result in a change in the game state. Announcements can be
made as individual items, or as a group of agreements that need to
be ratified together. All powers involved in an agreement that follow
later in Impulse Order must confirm all the contents of this declaration
when it is their turn in the Impulse Order. If they do not confirm
the full deal, NONE of the items in the agreement take effect."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Schmit
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes to both of your questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hall
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slightly related question.
Can a deal be contingent, for instance A gives B a card and B gives A mercs for each cp over 2 on that card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davidson
United States
Orland Park
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
gamer42_au wrote:
Slightly related question.
Can a deal be contingent, for instance A gives B a card and B gives A mercs for each cp over 2 on that card?

No contingences; specific items/actions stated by first power and agreed/denied by the later power in impulse order.

<Ed. to add workaround to the contingency problem in declarations>

Attempting variable conditions on negotiations

Normally, the first party would state the terms and the 2nd party confirms/denies them.

In this example as written, no as there can't be conditional statements like this.

Workaround- England would state multiple conditions as follows:

1. the 'space' and the card from England to France

2. France sends 1Merc to England

3. France sends 2Mercs to England

4. France sends 3Mercs to England

France on their end would:

1. Agree to #1; space and card are given (now France sees what they got)

2. France agrees to one of 2 thru 4; or denies them all.

Of course, England has no recourse if France short-changes them on this deal; so buyer beware etc. on this type of exchange.

I hope that this 'deal' is not part of an attempted Sue for Peace later in negotiations by England; you don't state war status of the two. FYI this has now been rendered illegitimate in the 2017 re-write.

Anyhow, that's the only way I know of that you can work out this type of deal. Just make it clear that they (the terms) are not grouped together; that they are to be 'individual' items; there's no way to do this type of thing as a 'grouped' deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Willner
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same question so let me make sure I understand:

Each player must announce the deals they make, and confirm any deals previously made in strict impulse order. So, is this sequencing correct?:

1) Hapsburgs and Papacy agree to and Alliance during secret negotiations.

2) During the Hapsburg's turn to announce he does NOT announce the alliance with the Papacy.

3) When the Papal player's turn comes he CANNOT announce the alliance with the Hapsburgs because the Hapsburg's turn to announce / confirm anything has passed.

4) Any deals anyone made with the Protestants would have to be announced by them prior to the Protestant turn (when s/he would get the chance to confirm). If all other players remained silent the Protestant CANNOT announce all the deals made and ask the other players (whose turns have passed) to confirm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You've got it all correct!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.