Recommend
11 
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Obsession» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rulebook Is Complete rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Hallagan

Avon Lake
Ohio
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Here is the rulebook. I am going to use you all as guinea pigs: some were disappointed at the low resolution graphics of the Glossary posting; I had to downsample the images to make the size manageable.

Since the rulebook is 12 pages, I am going to leave the Panda version up as the link, but be warned, it's very large (380 MB). If that doesn't work, I will circle back later and downsize the file.

Good reading!

EDIT: This version has been updated. Please see the Rulebook in the OFFICIAL Rulebook thread.


https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/2003488/official-obsess...

Dan
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The graphic on page 4 shows a red linen bag -- shouldn't that be purple?
5 
 Thumb up
10.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hallagan

Avon Lake
Ohio
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
10 GEEK GOLD FOR YOU!

Really, how do 10 people doing multiple readthrough’s and checking missed that, including yours truly? This is clear proof the one’s familiarity with a project reduces their ability to edit material ...great catch!

Thanks.

Dan
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 5, step 8: Country Estate improvements are listed as

Essentials, Service, Estate, Prestige, and Sporting

but there relative importance is

Service, Sporting, Essentials, Estate, and Prestige

I haven't finished reading the rules yet, but I can see that it will be confusing having the graphic reminder not be in importance order.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hallagan

Avon Lake
Ohio
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Yes, and unfortunately that’s not changing. It is my personal QWERTY burden that I will carry. The initial design of the game organized those categories left to right from the base estate, to the service provided, to the grounds surrounding the base estate, to the prestige enhancements, to the sporting enhancements. There was a logical flow left to right in the layout of the estate.

This preexisted the relative importance of each of those categories. Even if I had a magic wand, I don’t think I would synchronize those two. It is something that will bother players the first few plays, but it will quickly fade into the background.

Dan
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Reeve wrote:
10 GEEK GOLD FOR YOU!

Really, how do 10 people doing multiple readthrough’s and checking missed that, including yours truly? This is clear proof the one’s familiarity with a project reduces their ability to edit material ...great catch!

Thanks.

Dan


Truer words were never spoken, Dan! I just had At Any Cost published by GMT and had been working on that project for four years. I read it through a hundred times, my developer did as well and a number of proof readers at GMT too. And of course, there were at least four things that were missed .... including the fact that the VP Track on two of the scenarios were missing the number "6"! You can't make this stuff up. Something always gets through!

Congrats on getting the rulebook done. This game is going to be great and I can't wait to get it set up on the table.

Hermann
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 8, halfway down first column:

"The benefits resulting from a afternoon..."
Shouldn't that be "an afternoon"? Or is that more of the British English flair? whistle
2 
 Thumb up
5.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hallagan

Avon Lake
Ohio
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
No flair there! I broke a cardinal rule. I changed a word—from morning to afternoon—and didn’t come back to review the change with fresh eyes. Fortunately, that is a tweak I can get at the proof stage. Good catch!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Last page:

After the last courtship event, the round track marker is moved to the centre
space with the wedding bells icon; it is time to see who wins the overall
competition and the game! For end game scoring, obtain the scorepad from
the box and total victory points for the seven categories described below.
Examples are provided as needed.

should it be "obtain the scorepad from the box and total the victory points for the seven categories"?

Might just be personal taste, but thought I would ask. Thanks, I love this rulebook! I am only nitpicking at this point because it's seriously perfect and I might as well ask before the final stuff goes out!
1 
 Thumb up
5.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maricel Edwards
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who helped proofread both the Glossary and Rulebook, my apologies for the small bits and bobs that got past my old eyes. I'm just so proud to be part of a community that takes the time and energy to help at every step of the process. Together we are mighty!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hallagan

Avon Lake
Ohio
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I think that’s a good catch. It’s one I am not freaking out about because it reads OK without the article, but I will add that in when I do the proofs.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hallagan

Avon Lake
Ohio
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
You have been a champ. Flawless. You don’t have to explain things like having the wrong bag on the rulebook gaming table!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ReluctantFr0g wrote:
Thanks, I love this rulebook! I am only nitpicking at this point because it's seriously perfect and I might as well ask before the final stuff goes out!

Agreed. Even the two things I found were incredibly minor. Really looking forward to this game!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Must just be me that cannot open the rulebook through the link then
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Last page section 4:

EXAMPLE: The victory points earned for reputation
is equal to the numbers representing each
level achieved added together.

should it be

EXAMPLE: The victory points earned for reputation
are equal to the numbers representing each
level achieved added together.

I think!
1 
 Thumb up
6.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules for Solitaire:

Locate the 20-sided dice and the Solitaire card that contains the Builders’
Market AI, which provides for the competitive purchase of Improvement
Tiles from the market, with Monuments being aggressively targeted. Place
the Solitaire AI card and dice next to the opponent card.

boardgamers (as I understand) always say it should be

Locate the 20-sided die and the Solitaire card

same page:

After the dice (die) is rolled, remove the tile from the
appropriate position (or not at all, if a 16-19 is
rolled; refresh the market if a 20 is rolled).

I see "dice" a few more times, so again, this is totally your call.


Also, you do switch from her to him a few times on the last two pages when referring to the player. Not sure if intended, but FYI.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maricel Edwards
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ReluctantFr0g wrote:
Rules for Solitaire:

Locate the 20-sided dice and the Solitaire card that contains the Builders’
Market AI, which provides for the competitive purchase of Improvement
Tiles from the market, with Monuments being aggressively targeted. Place
the Solitaire AI card and dice next to the opponent card.

boardgamers (as I understand) always say it should be

Locate the 20-sided die and the Solitaire card

same page:

After the dice (die) is rolled, remove the tile from the
appropriate position (or not at all, if a 16-19 is
rolled; refresh the market if a 20 is rolled).

I see "dice" a few more times, so again, this is totally your call.




Ahahaha! That one I can proudly say I caught too, Jeremy. But Dan very politely directed me to the Oxford site that says "dice" is now an acceptable form to refer to both singular and plural of the thing. So as long as he's consistent with what he uses, I think Dan should be okay.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hallagan

Avon Lake
Ohio
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
The Oxford dictionary (and others) rejects the use of die:

Usage
Historically, dice is the plural of die, but in modern standard English dice is both the singular and the plural: throw the dice could mean a reference to either one or more than one dice


https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/dice


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hallagan

Avon Lake
Ohio
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
MORE GOLD!

Good catch.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hallagan

Avon Lake
Ohio
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Really? Anyone else having that issue?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Reeve wrote:
Really? Anyone else having that issue?

Hmmm..... Well, since you didn't quote whomever you were responding to, I don't know...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hallagan

Avon Lake
Ohio
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
stoneleaf wrote:
The Reeve wrote:
Really? Anyone else having that issue?

Hmmm..... Well, since you didn't quote whomever you were responding to, I don't know...
LOL, sorry. Dang iPad.

James Cartwright could download the Rulebook.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Nice work, and I didn't know it was now both ways, that is awesome, carry on!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
The Reeve wrote:
stoneleaf wrote:
The Reeve wrote:
Really? Anyone else having that issue?

Hmmm..... Well, since you didn't quote whomever you were responding to, I don't know...
LOL, sorry. Dang iPad.

James Cartwright could download the Rulebook.




I get that when I click the link, but I can direct download it to view it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke McCarthy
msg tools
mbmbmb
mtsedwards wrote:
As someone who helped proofread both the Glossary and Rulebook, my apologies for the small bits and bobs that got past my old eyes. I'm just so proud to be part of a community that takes the time and energy to help at every step of the process. Together we are mighty!


As an editor for a journal, I can attest that no one can EVER catch everything! It always amazes (and frustrates) me what fresh eyes can find.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.