Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Clark
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Hi all,

I am looking for a recommendation for a campaign, legacy or dungeon crawl game that plays well with two players. Much of my gaming is just me and my husband. We don't mind playing two characters each if that improves the experience.

We have -- and enjoy -- Gloomhaven. We play Gloomhaven with four characters. We played through -- and loved -- Pandemic Legacy. I backed 7th Continent, but it is not coming until October.

Any thoughts? I have been looking at Descent or Imperial Assault, but not sure if there is sufficient content associated with the apps?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Taylor
United States
Somerset
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) is good with the app.

Sword & Sorcery
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
Turn the right corner in Sin City...
badge
...and you can find anything.
mbmbmbmbmb
Conan
Kingdom Death: Monster

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Slovakia
flag msg tools
+1 for Kingdom Death: Monster. But only if the visuals and the price don't put you off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Clark
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Question about Kingdom Death Monster. Is it even possible to get a copy of the game without paying an enormous premium? I confess that I don't know much about it but it looks intriguing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Slovakia
flag msg tools
RoccoTerrier wrote:
Question about Kingdom Death Monster. Is it even possible to get a copy of the game without paying an enormous premium? I confess that I don't know much about it but it looks intriguing.

Probably not. Maybe if there's someone who's selling a copy without miniatures? It's stupidly expensive unfortunately...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
The popular dungeon crawls are all prohibitively expensive due to miniatures, with the exception of the D&D Adventure Game family.

The D&D games are OK, but don't offer any real advancement for the characters. These are full co-op.

One more possible exception I just though of is Dungeon Saga. I say possible, because it came out a couple years ago and if FLGSes still have a copy or 2, they'll be clearancing them out (mine did a few months back). DS is definitely worth getting on the cheap. The minis are great for one piece minis. The out-of-the-box scenarios provide a good RPG-light experience. DS is Overlord vs Heroes, though.

I've heard Descent and Imperial Assault play well with the App as full co-ops, otherwise they're Overlord vs Heroes. Just the base games aren't too expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Jordheim
Norway
Stavanger
Rogaland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Legends of Andor

It has the look and feel of a fantasy group like Gloomhaven but plays more like Pandemic in that it takes great planning, team work and a little luck (rather than lucky dice rolls in most dungeon crawls) to find success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary G
United States
Silverdale
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I went through a campaign of Seafall with my spouse. It was awesome. Was a more laid back experience since it wasn't as cut throat as my 5P campaign. I was spoiled in the other campaign as we started ours so I just let her experience all the highs and lows and excitement and just played enough to be competative but not enough to crush her out of the game because I knew what was coming. She loved it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RoccoTerrier wrote:
I'd recommend you watch the review by Shut Up & Sit Down to get an idea of the gameplay and form an opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RoccoTerrier wrote:

You get a total of about 34 survivor minis.
If you simply keep the 4 starting survivors and the Special ones then you can sell the armor kits which were sold through the Kingdom Death shop for about 250 USD IIRC.

If you go that way your base game will only cost 150 USD.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Clark
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
CarlosSpicyweener wrote:
RoccoTerrier wrote:

You get a total of about 34 survivor minis.
If you simply keep the 4 starting survivors and the Special ones then you can sell the armor kits which were sold through the Kingdom Death shop for about 250 USD IIRC.

If you go that way your base game will only cost 150 USD.

Not sure I am following -- I would buy the base game and then sell off part of it? Where do I buy the base game and for how much? This game is intriguing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Clark
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Vooshvazool wrote:
I would recommend Legends of Andor

It has the look and feel of a fantasy group like Gloomhaven but plays more like Pandemic in that it takes great planning, team work and a little luck (rather than lucky dice rolls in most dungeon crawls) to find success.

Thank you for this recommendation. This was not on my radar and it definitely looks interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can buy the basegame at kingdomdeath.com for 400 USD and then sell the armor kits for (I think) 250 USD here or on ebay.

The armor kits aren't needed to play the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
RoccoTerrier wrote:

Scoring one under $300 will probably not happen.
But recommended indeed.
Slightlty less expensive: Arkham Horror: The Card Game?

I don't necessarily recommend 7th Continent but since you'll get it anyway... 7th Continent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Wentling
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have Imperial Assault and didn't really love the "one person Imperial, the other Rebel" basic version of the game as much. My wife gets very competitive so coop games are much better for us! The new App has a nice coop campaign, but only one at this point so may not be worth the price for you yet. I have been enjoying painting the minis for IA more than playing the game. I hear Descent is very similar in mechanics but has more options on the App...but I haven't played that one yet.

Hopefully that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Laws
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:

Slightlty less expensive: Arkham Horror: The Card Game?

A second vote for Arkham Horror the Card Game.

More variety in the scenarios than many a dungeon grind, and it's bound to be supported for years to come. The #1 obsession in our house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Maybe I'll just stay home and play KDM.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Kingdom Death.

The ration between hours played and dollars spent makes it the cheapest game in my collection. Don't let the price scare you away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.