Recommend
7 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » News

Subject: 538.com Article on Gloomhaven rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Players Have Crowned A New Best Board Game

A new article from 538 about boardgames discusses Gloomhaven.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool Beans. Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a little funky for the article to say it "retails for $215," which might be technically true for that one Amazon listing, but is much higher than actual MSRP.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
It's a little funky for the article to say it "retails for $215," which might be technically true for that one Amazon listing, but is much higher than actual MSRP.

well, if you can point out an online buying option to get the game for the MSRP at the present time.....
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
Dexter345 wrote:
It's a little funky for the article to say it "retails for $215," which might be technically true for that one Amazon listing, but is much higher than actual MSRP.

well, if you can point out an online buying option to get the game for the MSRP at the present time.....

Here's one at $200, for a start. The currently visible third-party price of Amazon seller means almost nothing. Here's another not-retail option at $190, and that's with free shipping to boot.

But the point is that something "retails" at the retailer price point. Gloomhaven retails at $140, regardless of what someone else is selling it for at the moment.

And current new copies typically sell for about $250, not $215.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
Dexter345 wrote:
It's a little funky for the article to say it "retails for $215," which might be technically true for that one Amazon listing, but is much higher than actual MSRP.

well, if you can point out an online buying option to get the game for the MSRP at the present time.....


Like I said, technically true, but funky. I don't think I'd have an issue if the article mentioned that's an inflated price due to low supply/high demand, but as it is it just screams to me that the author searched on Amazon and picked the first thing that came up. Even worse is the fact that the article links to a listing that is price gouging and it doesn't even have current copies. It's listed at $215 with a release in May, which those of us in the know recognize as the projected release of the third printing. So when that seller actually ships, it will be available at MSRP, and fivethirtyeight is feeding into a sketchy system.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also FiveThirtyEight, which is renowned for extolling the merits of big data. Yet to determine what this scarce game 'retails for', they apparently used... exactly one data point....
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim C
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I like how they describe Paths of Glory as "...a war game set in the 1910s."

It's as if WWI never existed!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
and fivethirtyeight is feeding into a sketchy system.

almost as sketchy as Wall Street.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wolkey
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
zonk67 wrote:
I like how they describe Paths of Glory as "...a war game set in the 1910s."

It's as if WWI never existed!


I don't ever remember Paths of Glory being #1. I remember it's sister game, Twilight Struggle being #1, but not PoG. And TS is not set in the 1910s.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolkster wrote:
zonk67 wrote:
I like how they describe Paths of Glory as "...a war game set in the 1910s."

It's as if WWI never existed!


I don't ever remember Paths of Glory being #1. I remember it's sister game, Twilight Struggle being #1, but not PoG. And TS is not set in the 1910s.


I believe it was the very first one, before even Tigris.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hunt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Disappointing lack of analysis on their part. Where's the graph showing the time at #1, trajectory of ratings over time, and predicted future rating in say two or three years (should surely compare with past IMBD #1s which are now down the list).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thelawnet wrote:
Disappointing lack of analysis on their part. Where's the graph showing the time at #1, trajectory of ratings over time, and predicted future rating in say two or three years (should surely compare with past IMBD #1s which are now down the list).

They didn't bother to get the data.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
thelawnet wrote:
Disappointing lack of analysis on their part. Where's the graph showing the time at #1, trajectory of ratings over time, and predicted future rating in say two or three years (should surely compare with past IMBD #1s which are now down the list).

They didn't bother to get the data.
They instead collected data that said that 99% of their readers wouldn't care one bit, then rolled with that data.

Pete (thinks their data is right)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.