Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Hey all. My Kickstarter copy just arrived and we started playing it. I feel that I had most of the rules down but I want to confirm some things. Just to note that I have briefly searched the forums but haven't looked very carefully for fear of spoilers and my copy of the game is not currently in my possession.

1. Upon revealing a card if it does not have the mandatory event icon are we ever forced to make a check? This is most relevant with Exploration cards. There have been a few instances where we flipped up an exploration card, read the event, and determined that we were not currently well equipped to deal with it so we left it there and came back to it later when we were properly equipped. I had ruled that this was within the rules because the cards we did this for did not have the mandatory action symbol. The rules are a little confusing here because they simply say you need to resolve the event but don't say if you need to resolve it immediately or not. Further their example is an item which doesn't really address the issue.

2. When combining items, if you want the durability bonus, can you match a word on any card in the combination or must it be from just the original the card? I think I overlooked this rule initially and just assumed that a word had to match on any card to be fine. Regardless, I'll probably continue playing that any word has to match because I don't think that the advantage is so significant to be earth shattering and I've got some... what's a nice way to say this?, non-programmer minded people in the group and anything I can do to simplify rules without breaking the game is a huge plus.

3. We get to draw skills for just about everything right? So like even if we move or craft and draw just one skill we get to keep it assuming our hand limit is fine?

4. When drawing a green numbered card, if there is more than one of those numbers, we just draw a random green card from the pile right? there is no hierarchy of green cards. Additionally if the action we took to draw said card does not get closed we could continue to take that action to draw the rest correct?

5. I noticed that there was a skill that let you draw from the discard deck/pile during an action and not the action deck (even if there was still an action deck). At fist I was a bit puzzled by this skill because it seemed like you were just potentially risking an end of game. However after reading the rules a few times I think I figured it out. You don't lose if you draw a curse card from the discard pile but you lose if you draw a curse card from the discard pile and the action deck is empty. This makes a lot of sense so even if you use the skill referenced above and draw a curse from the discard pile you would not lose as long as you had at least 1 card in the action deck.

6. When you save your game fire tokens are not saved right (even on your own space)? My friend actually has a double decker gaming table allowing us to keep the game set up in the lower level so we really never have to pack the game away but we decided to still use "save" rules when we stopped playing since the rule books suggested to do it that way.

7. When doing a combined action you may decrease the cards drawn to increase the successes needed by any amount correct? It's not a "per player in the combined action" thing. Also the reverse is not available right? that is you may not decrease the successes needed by increasing the cards drawn.

*EDIT*
annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd I just looked at the rules forum and wow there are a lot of new rule threads. I swear I didn't see them last Wednesday when we played so sorry if any questions are repeated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Robinson
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will answer those that I'm sure of:

2. The words need to match the top most card in your stack in order to get the pip bonus.

3. Yes

4. yes, draw a random one.

5. You are correct. Drawing a curse card in that instance would not make you lose the game. Be sure the card that allows it says draw a card versus choosing any card in the discard. Remember

6. Fire is not saved. However, leaving the game set up if you can will make it easier as you won't need to re-explore those tiles you put away if you end up needing to backtrack. I would personally leave the game set up if I could. YMMV

7. No limit on this. You are NOT allowed to increase the cards drawn to lower the successes needed though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:
Hey all. My Kickstarter copy just arrived and we started playing it. I feel that I had most of the rules down but I want to confirm some things. Just to note that I have briefly searched the forums but haven't looked very carefully for fear of spoilers and my copy of the game is not currently in my possession.

1. Upon revealing a card if it does not have the mandatory event icon are we ever forced to make a check? This is most relevant with Exploration cards. There have been a few instances where we flipped up an exploration card, read the event, and determined that we were not currently well equipped to deal with it so we left it there and came back to it later when we were properly equipped. I had ruled that this was within the rules because the cards we did this for did not have the mandatory action symbol. The rules are a little confusing here because they simply say you need to resolve the event but don't say if you need to resolve it immediately or not. Further their example is an item which doesn't really address the issue.

2. When combining items, if you want the durability bonus, can you match a word on any card in the combination or must it be from just the original the card? I think I overlooked this rule initially and just assumed that a word had to match on any card to be fine. Regardless, I'll probably continue playing that any word has to match because I don't think that the advantage is so significant to be earth shattering and I've got some... what's a nice way to say this?, non-programmer minded people in the group and anything I can do to simplify rules without breaking the game is a huge plus.

3. We get to draw skills for just about everything right? So like even if we move or craft and draw just one skill we get to keep it assuming our hand limit is fine?

4. When drawing a green numbered card, if there is more than one of those numbers, we just draw a random green card from the pile right? there is no hierarchy of green cards. Additionally if the action we took to draw said card does not get closed we could continue to take that action to draw the rest correct?

5. I noticed that there was a skill that let you draw from the discard deck/pile during an action and not the action deck (even if there was still an action deck). At fist I was a bit puzzled by this skill because it seemed like you were just potentially risking an end of game. However after reading the rules a few times I think I figured it out. You don't lose if you draw a curse card from the discard pile but you lose if you draw a curse card from the discard pile and the action deck is empty. This makes a lot of sense so even if you use the skill referenced above and draw a curse from the discard pile you would not lose as long as you had at least 1 card in the action deck.

6. When you save your game fire tokens are not saved right (even on your own space)? My friend actually has a double decker gaming table allowing us to keep the game set up in the lower level so we really never have to pack the game away but we decided to still use "save" rules when we stopped playing since the rule books suggested to do it that way.

7. When doing a combined action you may decrease the cards drawn to increase the successes needed by any amount correct? It's not a "per player in the combined action" thing. Also the reverse is not available right? that is you may not decrease the successes needed by increasing the cards drawn.

*EDIT*
annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd I just looked at the rules forum and wow there are a lot of new rule threads. I swear I didn't see them last Wednesday when we played so sorry if any questions are repeated.

1) You're only forced to if it is a Temporary Event (hourglass), or if it has the spikey red indicator. You did the right thing. Come back later when you're better prepared!

2) You compare the new item's keywords to those of the top card in the stack. You know your group so house-rule if you want, but doing what you described will make the game easier by a not insignificant amount because it will mean all your items will have a lot more uses than they should.

3) Yes, you may keep up to one card per action, regardless of the cost, or success required.

4) Yes, you take one randomly. Shuffle them, or roll a die. And yes, unless the action becomes closed off by a Permanent Event, you may continue to take it again and again with different results.

5) Correct, you don't risk losing. You're just not consuming the Action deck when you use the card.

6) Fire tokens/minis are removed (the fire goes out), and will have to be replaced using a new action.

7) Correct. It only goes one way, -X/+X, never the reverse. And yes, you can do this as many times as you like, down to 0 cards drawn. You can always choose to draw more cards at the beginning of the action as long as it isn't locked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Baughman

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
Will Code For Food
mbmbmbmb
timmontana wrote:

2. The words need to match the top most card in your stack in order to get the pip bonus.

Just a clarification, I think a word needs to match, not all the words..

So you can match "dog cat" to "cat fish".

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

I think if you play the way your are suggesting you are minimizing one of the more subtle strategies of choosing if you add to a stack to increase pips or add to the stack to put like bonuses together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Robinson
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Erroll wrote:
timmontana wrote:

I think if you play the way your are suggesting you are minimizing one of the more subtle strategies of choosing if you add to a stack to increase pips or add to the stack to put like bonuses together.

You are correct. I assume too much and should have been clearer. On cards that have more than one keyword only ONE of those keywords needs to be an exact match with only one of the keywords of the top card of the stack in order to get the pip bonus. To go further, you ARE allowed to stack any item cards together even if they do not have at least one keyword that matches. This will result in you not adding the pip values to the stack but will allow you to use that item by lowering the item stack by one pip.

What I should have said to be clear was see page 20 of the rulebook under "Combining an item" as it is very clear how this works.

edit for grammar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CheddarLimbo wrote:

3) Yes, you may keep up to one card per action, regardless of the cost, or success required.

also you can keep the card even if it over your hand limit
only after you resolved the whole action you have to discard (this can be old or new cards mixed)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
timmontana wrote:

6. Fire is not saved. However, leaving the game set up if you can will make it easier as you won't need to re-explore those tiles you put away if you end up needing to backtrack. I would personally leave the game set up if I could. YMMV

Yeah, thanks to her "double decker table" we can leave the game setup non-stop and just add/remove the top of the table. The rules however do suggest saving to reset certain things like hunting though so we figured we'd treat it like a save when we did, just, you know, leaving our cards out and in tact.

CheddarLimbo wrote:

1) You're only forced to if it is a Temporary Event (hourglass), or if it has the spikey red indicator. You did the right thing. Come back later when you're better prepared!

So wait a minute, that means that if a Temporary Event has an action on it it will always be mandatory? I don't have my cards on hand so I can't check though I guess that makes sense... Well actually I guess it won't always be mandatory if the card allows you to choose to make the check. Okay, temporary events instantly, all else, run away and return over prepared, got it.

Erroll wrote:

Yeah this is correct. My question was more concerning whether a "Dog-Cat"+"Cat-Fish" combo could always be combined to a "Dog-Bird," or only sometimes if they could but I didn't make that fully clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:
CheddarLimbo wrote:

So wait a minute, that means that if a Temporary Event has an action on it it will always be mandatory? I don't have my cards on hand so I can't check though I guess that makes sense... Well actually I guess it won't always be mandatory if the card allows you to choose to make the check. Okay, temporary events instantly, all else, run away and return over prepared, got it.

Since Temporary Events are not placed on the board like other cards, they must be resolved. Sometimes that means drawing cards, sometimes it means taking actions.

The spikey red mandatory action can show up on Temp Events, or in other places, and means that not only does this action have to be taken right away, but the same people who took the action preceding it (and no one else) must now take this one. This can be really bad if you tried to do something solo and now need help to resolve the next action.

If you have a Temp Event card with an action that is NOT in the mandatory red border, then you still have to do that action next (to resolve the event), BUT you can choose who is the active player and who is helping based on the optimal set up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure there will never be a non-mandatory action on a temporary event. What they do instead is actually state in the text that you MAY take the following action OR do something else. The action will be marked as mandatory, but the text on the card will make it clear that the mandatory action is actually optional.

In that way, it isn't really 'mandatory', but that is the way they treat this. Just read and follow the text on the card and know that if there is a mandatory action with no other text, then the same group must take it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.