John Kelly
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK. This scheme is driving me nuts.

Anti-Mutant Hatred
Setup: 11 Twists. 30 Wounds.
Twist: Put this Twist into your discard pile as an "Angry Mob."
Special Rules: At the start of your turn, for each Angry Mob in your hand, the player on your right gains a Wound and gains that Angry Mob.
Evil Wins: When the Wound Stack or Villain Deck runs out.

In solo, I am the player to the right so I am gaining a never ending pile of twists and wounds. Even with Hulk and Panther in the hero deck to kill cards from my hand and discard pile, I am buried in wounds and twists long before I can attack the mastermind, or if I'm really unlucky, I can't even gather enough recruiting cards to buy anything to help. Is this just a solo player killer, or am I playing it wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are certain schemes you shouldn't play solo, this is one of them. You can always try to KO the scheme twists, but you still have to be quite lucky to survive. I find many of the X-Men schemes are quite difficult in solo play. "X-Men Danger Room Goes Berserk" and "Televised Deathtraps of Mojo World" are both quite difficult as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Santos
Portugal
Amadora
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From my pont of view it really depends on the chosen heroes and of the order of the villain deck.

In the league me and my wife played that scheme.

I was crushed into oblivion and managed to only KO a scheme twist, the hero cards that would do the KO would not appear and my deck was a massive pile of wounds and scheme twists, i hit Mojo an amazing number of 0 times.

My wife choosed a different third hero for the cenario, she managed to KO 7 scheme twists and an amazing number of wounds, she did hit Mojo 3 times and was very close indeed (needed one more atack point) to him the 4th time.

So, not a solo killer, but a very hard one indeed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, the response if "Well, you just need a specific team of Heroes", then the answer is "Yes, this scheme is hard". I'm honestly surprised that so many people beat it in this month's league, because I usually lose to it solo. Maybe it's because I was specifically allowed to select a KO Hero to play with. I also got very luck with not drawing too many scheme twists. Order of the Villain Deck = Luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theorel Masheriel
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yeah, you need some way to KO cards, preferably from discard pile...and then you need to get a little lucky. When I played it in the same league match, I used Rogue and got lucky enough to be able to KO several twists. I went heavy on her drain energy (3 copies), and ended up KOing wounds from hand a couple times, KO'd 7 Scheme Twists, and still had all my starter cards at the end of the match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Theorel wrote:
Yeah, you need some way to KO cards, preferably from discard pile...and then you need to get a little lucky. When I played it in the same league match, I used Rogue and got lucky enough to be able to KO several twists. I went heavy on her drain energy (3 copies), and ended up KOing wounds from hand a couple times, KO'd 7 Scheme Twists, and still had all my starter cards at the end of the match.

Yeah, that’s roughly how it went for me too. Most of the time though this scheme has crushed me into oblivion. Definitely one to save for the easier Masterminds or awesome Hero combos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kelly
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK. Good to know I'm not alone cursing this scheme in solo mode. I figured it just wasn't designed to be used this way, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some rule or strategy here. Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrPolygon wrote:
I figured it just wasn't designed to be used this way

This is just my theory, but it seems that the newer sets are getting tougher and tougher, which leads me to think that they are being geared towards multiplayer co-op.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Legendary Fanatic
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhochges wrote:
There are certain schemes you shouldn't play solo, this is one of them.

I agree with Justin that some schemes don't adapt very well to Advanced Solo Mode - especially if you randomize. Ironically, I just played this scheme last night against Shiklah, the Demon Bride. My heroes were Human Torch, Mr. Fantastic, and Peter Parker. Happily, victory was mine! But probably only because (after getting my butt kicked many times) I have added a House Rule for this scheme. I still play Advanced Solo, but with one exception - I don't play the second card after a Master Strike. Giving myself up to 5 extra turns really makes a difference in gameplay and makes the scheme competitive instead of unbearable.

I realize some might say that's cheating, but hey, games are meant to be fun, not torture! My rule of thumb is to play a scheme 7 to 10 times before deciding if it needs the Master Strike House Rule. If I find that my record is something pitiful like 1-6 or 2-8, it's time.

Thankfully I've only had to House Rule a few schemes (The Fountain of Life, Predict Future Crime, and Dark Reign of HAMMER Officers immediately come to mind!) because I prefer to play them as they were created. But if Devin Low's maniacal schemes are too much for my heroes to handle in Advanced Solo, then I really need a Master Strike lifeline!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Yep, you need the right team.

Though you could also use any of the anti-wounds heroes like Captain America, Luke Cage or Colossus.

There's also another trick here - The rules of the scheme say you only get the wounds if you had the scheme twist in your hand at the start of your turn.

If you drew it in the middle, it doesn't go off.

So, your other option is just to fill up your deck with as many draw cards as possible. Wolverine is incredibly effective here as he also KOs your wounds.

But again, anyone with Draw cards would do - Jubilee, Black Panther, Captain Marvel etc

Then dump Sidekicks\New Recruits if you have them as well.

Shang Chi is also very good because his rare jumps to the top of the deck, so if you cycle it enough, you are almost always going to have it be at the top of your deck, so you only have to worry about 5 other cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kelly
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:
Yep, you need the right team.

Though you could also use any of the anti-wounds heroes like Captain America, Luke Cage or Colossus.

There's also another trick here - The rules of the scheme say you only get the wounds if you had the scheme twist in your hand at the start of your turn.

If you drew it in the middle, it doesn't go off.

So, your other option is just to fill up your deck with as many draw cards as possible. Wolverine is incredibly effective here as he also KOs your wounds.

But again, anyone with Draw cards would do - Jubilee, Black Panther, Captain Marvel etc

Then dump Sidekicks\New Recruits if you have them as well.

Shang Chi is also very good because his rare jumps to the top of the deck, so if you cycle it enough, you are almost always going to have it be at the top of your deck, so you only have to worry about 5 other cards.

Strateegery! Love it. Thanks for tips. I'm tempted to give this one another go just to try some of these ideas out. Awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls