Big Trouble in Little China: The Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: First play rules clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
alun davies
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi,

I have just had my first play through and really enjoyed it but came across a couple of questions.

1: are the spaces between the streets and a red line going into a building considered adjacent? We had the big trouble card that opens portals (I think it was called hell on Earth) in a street space and kills minions in adjacent spaces. The minions were in the space in the building that was separated by a red line to the street, should these minions have been removed? We played it as yes it does but the big issue was that we also had a quest that was to kill all of those minions. So the portal opening up did that for us!

2: on the lo pan side of the board can we shoot into spaces on the otherside of the door ways? Example L1-13 to L1-15.

That was the only issues I can remember so all in all it is a clear set of rules. Good job Everything Epic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
Don't Wake Cthulu
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What was the game flow like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boris Polonsky
United States
RANDOLPH
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Hey I'm the co-designer of the game and would be happy to answer your questions.

findersbane wrote:
Hi,

I have just had my first play through and really enjoyed it but came across a couple of questions.

1: are the spaces between the streets and a red line going into a building considered adjacent? We had the big trouble card that opens portals (I think it was called hell on Earth) in a street space and kills minions in adjacent spaces. The minions were in the space in the building that was separated by a red line to the street, should these minions have been removed? We played it as yes it does but the big issue was that we also had a quest that was to kill all of those minions. So the portal opening up did that for us!

Yes, you used that card correctly, but it only removes MINIONS, not BOSSES and you don't receive the CHI rewards from the removed minions.

findersbane wrote:
2: on the lo pan side of the board can we shoot into spaces on the otherside of the door ways? Example L1-13 to L1-15.

Yes, you can shoot through doorways as long at they are marked with a white line. If the doorway is marked with a red line it blocks line of sight.

Glad you enjoyed your first playthrough! Did you win?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alun davies
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mefesto wrote:
Hey I'm the co-designer of the game and would be happy to answer your questions.

findersbane wrote:
Hi,

Yes, you used that card correctly, but it only removes MINIONS, not BOSSES and you don't receive the CHI rewards from the removed minions.

findersbane wrote:

Yes, you can shoot through doorways as long at they are marked with a white line. If the doorway is marked with a red line it blocks line of sight.

Thank you so much for the reply. Yes we did win, we only managed to complete 3 quests in act 1 before moving on. The big trouble track and the audacity track were both each just 1 space away from the end when We were trying for a fourth quest but the quest gave us the last audacity point before we could get all the way through and ended act 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
findersbane wrote:
mefesto wrote:

findersbane wrote:
Hi,

findersbane wrote:

Thank you so much for the reply. Yes we did win, we only managed to complete 3 quests in act 1 before moving on. The big trouble track and the audacity track were both each just 1 space away from the end when We were trying for a fourth quest but the quest gave us the last audacity point before we could get all the way through and ended act 1.

How did you do in the Final Showdown? How many rounds did you have left to defeat Lo Pan?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alun davies
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Wolfscream wrote:

The game flow i found to be excellent. Turns can be fast not too much downtime. The first act you are just trying to upgrade your characters by collecting Chi and the game does give you several options in how to do this. I found that where act 1 is more an ‘open world’ kind of a game Act 2 gives the players more of a focus on what you need to achieve. Everybody is working towards the same quest goals together.

All in all my group really enjoyed the game although our first game did take about 3-4 hours to finish but that was with learning the rules from scratch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
findersbane wrote:
Wolfscream wrote:

The game flow i found to be excellent. Turns can be fast not too much downtime. The first act you are just trying to upgrade your characters by collecting Chi and the game does give you several options in how to do this. I found that where act 1 is more an ‘open world’ kind of a game Act 2 gives the players more of a focus on what you need to achieve. Everybody is working towards the same quest goals together.

All in all my group really enjoyed the game although our first game did take about 3-4 hours to finish but that was with learning the rules from scratch.

Thanks for the overview!

Certainly with reading the full rulebook and setup with the first play, it added another hour on for sure. Next time you play, I'd wager you'd be at a 2 hour game.

How many players did you play with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alun davies
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
cbatarlis wrote:
findersbane wrote:
mefesto wrote:

findersbane wrote:
Hi,

findersbane wrote:

How did you do in the Final Showdown? How many rounds did you have left to defeat Lo Pan?

The final showdown was not too difficult. We played 4player. We managed to defeat Lo pan after 2 rounds of play in Act 2. We defeated a total of 5 security guards from 2 different quests and 3 hatchet men from another to get our keys in turn 1 and Egg was also able to get 1 attack on Lo Pan. We ran past Thunder and Rain (we defeated lightning in act 1) in turn 2 with some of us taking a little damage from lava when exiting the elevator. We ignored the enemies that spawned on L2 and just kept attacking Lo Pan on turn 2 but we did need to use Wangs ability to take an extra turn which gave us just enough attacks to defeat him. I hope that makes sense to you lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alun davies
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
It looks like we did make 1 rules mistake. Lo pan should have retreated to level 3 immediately once we reduced him to 3 wounds and we made the error of thinking that this happens on the enemies activation, so we shouldn’t technically have the win better luck next time lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Corbally
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
findersbane wrote:
It looks like we did make 1 rules mistake. Lo pan should have retreated to level 3 immediately once we reduced him to 3 wounds and we made the error of thinking that this happens on the enemies activation, so we shouldn’t technically have the win better luck next time lol.

a win is a win.... the spirits work in mysterious ways!

from a jealous US "waiter" shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Decay
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We finished Act 1 and had a few rules questions during play. After rereading the rulebook after the game most of them could be answered
Here are those that still remained (I will continue on the numbering from above):

3: If you level up, do you gain the bonus from the level you had or the level you will be after leveling up? So if you are L2 and go to L3, do you get the +Item/Upgrade Item (from L2 token) or +Action Die/+Item/Upgrade Item (from L3 token)?

4: As an supplement to that question if you play with 1 or 2 players do you also get the level 2 bonus? So do you start with just 1 Item (L1) or with 2 Items/1 Epic Item (L1 and L2 combined)?

5: During Jacks Quest he had to move his figure to another space (2.4) and than had to do a Task Action (2.5). Does he have to go back to the Quest token from the space he was moved away before or can he do the Task Action everywhere? From the Rulebook you (and everyone else) can only do Task Actions on the appropriate Quest Tokens.

6: Do you reset Health and/or the special ability of companions at the beginning of Act2? I couldn't find it in the rules but wanted to be sure.

7: In Act 2 there were 4 rubble tokens from one Quest. How do you remove them? One at a time or all at once? And where do you have to stand to remove them? In a space adjacent to them or on the space with the rubble token? The second one should not be possible as the space is blocked but normally you can only interact with stuff on your space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
julian hoddy
msg tools
7: In Act 2 there were 4 rubble tokens from one Quest. How do you remove them? One at a time or all at once? And where do you have to stand to remove them? In a space adjacent to them or on the space with the rubble token? The second one should not be possible as the space is blocked but normally you can only interact with stuff on your space.[/q]

Ditto on the above please. I'm not sure what to do with these either?

Played my first test game last night. 1 player / 3 Companions. I didn't start till late so never finished. It took about 3.5 hours to get to act 2, but i'm all setup and ready to go for second act. I was doing a lot of rules reading and ogling at all the components so expect the game to be way faster to play once familiar with the rules. Loved it so far.

Having sped read the rules and learning on the fly, i found it very easy to play. The rules book is good and seemed to explain most queries succinctly. I completed 1 main (thunder) and 2 side quests before i triggered act 2 with audacity. It's great fun reading the quest book and the one main quest nailed the movie scene perfectly. looking forward to playing through all the other quests...there's a ton of them to do.

Loved the dice placement mechanic. it's very quick and easy to build you combat / skill / task dice pools, and the dice handily track your actions when placed in their slots. nice. Using the fate dice is fun to do. I used 4 fate dice through act 1.

Combat is good, and quick. Just roll and take damage if you fail.

I was a bit worried the game would be a bit fidly, ala SotLT, but this seems far more streamlined to play. Tracking chi, health, special abilities, companion abilities, tasks, and quests is all pretty straightforward, and I wouldn't consider myself a "heavy" rules player.

Only thing small negative i found initially was the size of the board and how "busy" the artwork is. Although I LOVE the art and the style, it was bit daunting at first. This should be fine after a few plays. I'm colour blind too, so my greens, reds and browns tend to get lost sometimes. It is a big board though. It fits on my 4 seater dining table ok.

Other than that, it's fab!! I'm looking forward to finishing my first game later. Great job guys. So excited to play your wonderful creation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Robinson
msg tools
Hello Mr. Polonsky,

This is slightly off topic I admit, but I didn't wish to create a thread especially for it .

May I thank you very much indeed for your exceptional sculpting of the figures. They looked nice in the photos but up close they are superb.

You are a master at your craft.

Thank you.

Glenn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boris Polonsky
United States
RANDOLPH
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Moppelkotze wrote:
We finished Act 1 and had a few rules questions during play. After rereading the rulebook after the game most of them could be answered
Here are those that still remained (I will continue on the numbering from above):

3: If you level up, do you gain the bonus from the level you had or the level you will be after leveling up? So if you are L2 and go to L3, do you get the +Item/Upgrade Item (from L2 token) or +Action Die/+Item/Upgrade Item (from L3 token)?

You gain the reward of the level you just got. So if you earned level 3 you instantly get gain one of the rewards listed on the level 3 token.
Moppelkotze wrote:

4: As an supplement to that question if you play with 1 or 2 players do you also get the level 2 bonus? So do you start with just 1 Item (L1) or with 2 Items/1 Epic Item (L1 and L2 combined)?

You start with the bonus printed on your hero board for level one. Whenever you gain a new level, even if it's result of the player scaling at the start of the game, you gain the reward from the new level. So in a 1-2 player game you would start with 1 upgrade card and your choice of gaining a second upgrade or flipping the first one to epic.
Moppelkotze wrote:

5: During Jacks Quest he had to move his figure to another space (2.4) and than had to do a Task Action (2.5). Does he have to go back to the Quest token from the space he was moved away before or can he do the Task Action everywhere? From the Rulebook you (and everyone else) can only do Task Actions on the appropriate Quest Tokens.

Normally each quest event is triggered by a quest token, but in this case the quest instructs you to immediately continue reading the next even. In this instance you don't need to go back to the quest marker to do the task action.
Moppelkotze wrote:

6: Do you reset Health and/or the special ability of companions at the beginning of Act2? I couldn't find it in the rules but wanted to be sure.

Companions should not have health, they just give you an extra die and and some abilities. You do reset the special ability at the start of Act II.
Moppelkotze wrote:

7: In Act 2 there were 4 rubble tokens from one Quest. How do you remove them? One at a time or all at once? And where do you have to stand to remove them? In a space adjacent to them or on the space with the rubble token? The second one should not be possible as the space is blocked but normally you can only interact with stuff on your space.

You need to be adjacent to the rubble token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boris Polonsky
United States
RANDOLPH
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
grimpentolly wrote:
Hello Mr. Polonsky,

This is slightly off topic I admit, but I didn't wish to create a thread especially for it .

May I thank you very much indeed for your exceptional sculpting of the figures. They looked nice in the photos but up close they are superb.

You are a master at your craft.

Thank you.

Glenn

Ahhh, you're making me blushblush Thank you, it was a lot of fun working on these sculpts because I love these characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amanwing
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you spend a fate die when you have no action die left?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amanwing wrote:
Can you spend a fate die when you have no action die left?

Yes! You can take a fate die if it's still your turn and you have no actions left. (But as usual, only 1)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amanwing
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Chris!
Would you mind to answer some more questions?
1. We had a quest with ruubble tokens and had to clear the rubble. It was a check with two hand symbols. How does it work? When we have the two symbols can we remove all the rubble or just one token?
Besides taking 2 damage do the rublle tokens block the movement?
2. Is it allowed to split player activation or do you need to spend all your dice before the next player can act?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amanwing wrote:
Thanks Chris!
1. We had a quest with ruubble tokens and had to clear the rubble. It was a check with two hand symbols. How does it work? When we have the two symbols can we remove all the rubble or just one token?
2. Is it allowed to split player activation or do you need to spend all your dice before the next player can act?

1) ---The Showdown Quest for Thunder (rubble tokens) you must perform the task action multiple times to remove all of the rubble to get the key for the center arena. Just like a normal task action, spend two body dice (could be one body die on your turn and another on another turn or one from you and one from someone else on another turn) It doesn't have to be done in one turn. --- You can not move through rubble tokens until you remove them.

2) Yes! You can split the task actions between two players on SEPARATE TURNS! I.E. One player goes and spends 1 die towards the task action then leaves or ends their turn. Then player 2 comes up and spends their die towards the task action to help complete it. Each time you do a task action, you can use a Pass token to keep track of progress between turns to know how many actions were spent VS the task action.

Thanks,
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Doran

California
msg tools
cbatarlis wrote:
amanwing wrote:
Thanks Chris!

1) ---The Showdown Quest for Thunder (rubble tokens) you must perform the task action multiple times to remove all of the rubble to get the key for the center arena. Just like a normal task action, spend two body dice (could be one body die on your turn and another on another turn or one from you and one from someone else on another turn) It doesn't have to be done in one turn. --- You can not move through rubble tokens until you remove them.

2) Yes! You can split the task actions between two players on SEPARATE TURNS! I.E. One player goes and spends 1 die towards the task action then leaves or ends their turn. Then player 2 comes up and spends their die towards the task action to help complete it. Each time you do a task action, you can use a Pass token to keep track of progress between turns to know how many actions were spent VS the task action.

Thanks,
Chris

On 1, the question is specifically if performing the task action removes all pieces of rubble or just one. Sounds like it’s one.

On 2, I think the question is once a player starts their actions, do they need to complete their entire turn or can multiple players act at once. Does that make sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zucot wrote:
cbatarlis wrote:
amanwing wrote:
Thanks Chris!

Thanks,
Chris

On 1, the question is specifically if performing the task action removes all pieces of rubble or just one. Sounds like it’s one.

On 2, I think the question is once a player starts their actions, do they need to complete their entire turn or can multiple players act at once. Does that make sense?

Yes- One at a time.

Multiple players can not act at once. They must take their entire turn before moving on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Ricci

Rostock
msg tools
I played one match:
1 player (Egg Shen)
The game was really fast and easy but was also really nice. It recreates the movie athmosphere really well!
I found the show down a little bit too easy, though.
It took only 2 rounds to kill Lopen and I never died during the game.
I enjoied the two souls of the game (Act I open world and Act II race against the time).
In general the game was really easy to win so I think I was wrong with some rules:
1)If I play alone do I take an extra dice for each companion that I have? I starter with 3+3=6 dice.
2) During the showdown there were only there monsters: Lopan, Rain and another minion. No autospawn at the beginning of the turn was reported in the cards used for the showdown setup. Is there some autospawn in the show down that I missed?
3)Do the minions move through the elevators and the sewers entrances?

Thanks for the clarifications.
Antonio.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boris Polonsky
United States
RANDOLPH
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Malladin wrote:
I played one match:
1 player (Egg Shen)
The game was really fast and easy but was also really nice. It recreates the movie athmosphere really well!
I found the show down a little bit too easy, though.
It took only 2 rounds to kill Lopen and I never died during the game.
I enjoied the two souls of the game (Act I open world and Act II race against the time).
In general the game was really easy to win so I think I was wrong with some rules:
1)If I play alone do I take an extra dice for each companion that I have? I starter with 3+3=6 dice.
2) During the showdown there were only there monsters: Lopan, Rain and another minion. No autospawn at the beginning of the turn was reported in the cards used for the showdown setup. Is there some autospawn in the show down that I missed?
3)Do the minions move through the elevators and the sewers entrances?

Thanks for the clarifications.
Antonio.

1) Yes, you take a die for each companion.
2) It sounds like you didn't spawn the other two storms. Typically all three storms spawn in Act II, unless you defeat one of them in Act I.
3) The minions do not move between levels or in and out of the underground.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the game. Not all quests are equal and as a result it's possible to get lucky and kick butt your first time out. It might not be as easy the second time. Also, if you want a really easy way to up the difficulty swap out the normal minions for all hard, and for an even harder challenge you can try playing Director's cut difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amanwing
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where do you need to spawn the two storms in act 2? We missed that one too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amanwing wrote:
Where do you need to spawn the two storms in act 2? We missed that one too.

Use each (all 3) "Boss Showdown Quest Cards" to spawn the bosses

You'll notice if you finished their quest on the front, you don't spawn the defeated one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.