12 Posts

Love Letter» Forums » General

Subject: Why the player will play Princess??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sergei Chavo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just bough the game, playing some sessions and dont understand why the player can play the Princess ever?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't want to play the princess, but if you can keep her to the end, you win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
McDonough
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You wouldn't ever decide to discard it yourself. As it is the highest value in the game, if you can hold onto it until the end, you will win the round.

But, some cards make you discard a card and get a new one. Some let you guess a card in someone else's hand. Basically, if someone else makes you discard the princess, for any reason, you are out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R. Gracen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Daimond wrote:
Just bough the game, playing some sessions and dont understand why the player can play the Princess ever?

For example, someone plays the Prince on you, forcing you to discard your hand and draw a new card. If that makes you discard the princess, you lose, and are knocked out of the round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. oeppel
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CavemanLogic wrote:
Daimond wrote:

For example, someone plays the Prince on you,...

Preferably yourself because everyone else is protected by a handmaid pD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Slaven
United States
Sioux City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend of mine actually found a scenario in which it made sense to play the Princess:

Three player game, last card of the hand. The last player has the Princess and the King. Other two players have the same number of cubes. So he’s got no chance to win the hand. If he plays the King, he basically decides which of the other two players wins the hand. He didn’t want to do that, so he played the Princess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R. Gracen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pinoeppel wrote:
Preferably yourself because everyone else is protected by a handmaid pD

Yeah, that sucks when you're forced to do it to yourself. Lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei Chavo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for answers!
slaven41 wrote:
A friend of mine actually found a scenario in which it made sense to play the Princess:

Three player game, last card of the hand. The last player has the Princess and the King. Other two players have the same number of cubes. So he’s got no chance to win the hand. If he plays the King, he basically decides which of the other two players wins the hand. He didn’t want to do that, so he played the Princess.
Great point!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R. Gracen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
slaven41 wrote:

Three player game, last card of the hand. The last player has the Princess and the King. Other two players have the same number of cubes. So he’s got no chance to win the hand...

But if he held onto the Princess wouldn't he win the hand though?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei Chavo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CavemanLogic wrote:
slaven41 wrote:

Three player game, last card of the hand. The last player has the Princess and the King. Other two players have the same number of cubes. So he’s got no chance to win the hand...

on his turn he must play the King or the Princess, I think. Both variants is bad for this player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Williams
United Kingdom
Penkridge
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CavemanLogic wrote:
slaven41 wrote:

If he played the King he would have had to swap his hand (i.e. The Princess) with the hand of another player. As it was the last turn of the round he would be picking the winner of the round so I could see why he chose not to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R. Gracen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For some reason I always forget the king's power of making *you* swap cards with someone else... My bad. Whoever he chose would win by his kingmaking. Got it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.