Subject: Stretch Goals/Content for 2 different editions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
First off, congratulations to RTI for running a successful campaign.

There was a remnant of an interesting conversation today that I thought was worth bringing to BGG to get some more opinions in an easy-to-read format.

From Martin:

"Personally, I see no reason to pay the extra cost to upgrade just for aesthetics, as the low cost was what drew me to the game to begin with. And should the gilded edition add more content not available in the standard edition, then the situation is different, but I do hope RTI consider their backers before making that kind of move, as I foresee a lot of anger over feeling "pressured" to pay way more or risk losing out on content, rather than a simple visual upgrade."

What are your thoughts about content and stretch goals going forward? Should there be content for just the gilded edition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew McKinney
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I don't care if there even are more stretch goals. To me, a Kickstarter is about helping bring a game to market in as nice a condition as we can make it. I always enjoy stretch goals that make the components better—a thicker box, better cards, engraved dice: things like that. I feel like this campaign has achieved that. If there were any other improvements RTI could make, I'd be fine seeing them, though.

I'm actually not a fan of Kickstarter-exclusive versions. I feel like they cheat people who didn't or couldn't pledge out of a nicer experience. I don't mind a small upgrade as a sort of thank you, though. For example, including a small expansion or doing what RTI has done here and offered gold foiling and a slightly different box cover. Just a little something special. But otherwise I don't want any differences. I'm pledging to bring one game out in one form, not trying to get some super exclusive, amazing copy for myself.

A really nice version of a game that everyone can enjoy, though? That I take pride in. "Hey, I helped bring that out!" I'd feel like I jerk if I followed that up with, "But look at my version! Isn't it cooler?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Blackford
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It wouldn't be out of whack to offer a promo card or something along those lines, something that's not necessary to play with but offers a little nod for the backers who didn't feel up to going whole hog with the gold.

I can't really think of anything else at this point that would make a decent stretch goal, and even that's depending on RTI managing to come up with an idea they like between now and the end of the campaign. Not to mention they've kept costs as close as they could for the rest of us, so there may just not be any room for more as is.

They evidently had even more success with this campaign than they expected so I think they actually can rest on their laurels if they want at this point...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray R.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While kind of pretty, the effect would mostly be lost once the cards are in sleeves so I don't actually want the gilded version. Even if both versions were the same price, I'd still prefer the non-gold one. For that reason, I really hope they don't do anything which makes the gilded version the more complete one.

For people who want the option which costs more to produce, getting that thing you wanted should alone be the reason for paying extra. There's no need to offer other incentives to encourage others to also pick that option.

Oh, I guess if they wanted to do other foil or uv coating effects on the gilded version as stretch goals, that might be neat - for the people who like that sort of thing

EDIT: typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Don't forget to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that I don’t really care if there are stretch goals at all on this one. $9 for a neat game is insane value. I didn’t really need more. But I do appreciate it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.