New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
#77 T.J. OSHIE
mbmbmbmbmb
Routing, either I missed it or it's simply not in here. Perhaps someone could justify its absence for me? It seems a curious choice to leave it out since it is standard in so many other games. I'm not complaining i'm just curious.

It seems as though mandatory routing is as unrealistic as never routing. There could be times when a unit flees and times when it simply "hunkers" down and eats dirt. I get it, if a unit is adjacent to an enemy unit and or in the open, sure it may rout but then again it may not. Perhaps a die roll to determine if a unit routs or not is the best approach?

5 minutes later...

So since I typed the above, i decided to ask Shayne what his reasoning was and he said basically he chose not to specifically include routing to keep things simple but he also wanted there to be a cost in terms of impulse points to get a shaken/broken unit out of the way.

So i suppose you could say, once a unit is shaken, its up to you to decide if routing is the best option in order to prevent breaking in place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Broken units are easy casualty points for the other side if you can get them into melee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find broken units tend to be a priority to rally during the turn if in danger, otherwise people just wait for the free rally attempt on the end of the turn. Since even a failed roll gets them to shaken it is rare for a unit to stay broken long enough to reflect a real rout situation. And I’d rather rally than run most of the time, if I have an action to spend on a broken unit.

I can’t say I find it more realistic than ASL. Units tend to rally or die in the place the commander put them, and retreating just generally isn’t a thing in OST, in my experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.