Popular Tags: OP_deleted [+] [View All]
M. Kirschenbaum
United States
College Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reported for the racist smear it the second sentence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mkirschenbaum wrote:

Yeah what does he have against cars!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb
mkirschenbaum wrote:

Methinks you mean something else. As far as I know, Muslim refers to a person of a certain faith. I am unaware of a Muslim race as the faith is embraced by a number of "races"/ethnic groups (e.g., Arab, Persian, Indonesian, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeromey Martin
United States
Dallas
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If there's an easier way to prevent me from reading a game review than to throw in an absurd political remark in the first paragraph, I've yet to find it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Kirschenbaum
United States
College Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ericmwalters wrote:
mkirschenbaum wrote:

Methinks you mean something else. As far as I know, Muslim refers to a person of a certain faith. I am unaware of a Muslim race as the faith is embraced by a number of "races"/ethnic groups (e.g., Arab, Persian, Indonesian, etc.)

Written to order:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/craig-considine/muslims-are-n...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Bown
United Kingdom
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just embarrassingly bad. Two racist smears in the first three sentences. Shameful piece of writing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thegamesstore wrote:
Just embarrassingly bad. Two racist smears in the first three sentences. Shameful piece of writing

While I do agree that the first sentences were odd and not really needed.

But until further notice: Muslims ... are not a race. It is a religion.

Something Ben Affleck didn’t understand either in his discussion with Sam Harris...

And Sam Harris is one of the greatest philosophers of the last 2 decades btw AND a liberal.

Tldr: relax.

I am still waiting for the European delivery of this latest Hermann Luttmann masterpiece and I am like a 12 year old kid waiting for his first boardgame...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gautier

Rhinebeck
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben_Bos wrote:

Tldr

Funny, I had the same reaction, but it was to the review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Shydler
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Habbaku wrote:
If there's an easier way to prevent me from reading a game review than to throw in an absurd political remark in the first paragraph, I've yet to find it.

If there is an easier way to remind me to ignore your future postings, I've yet to find it.

Excellent review, Mr Best. Resist the fascists, keep it just like it is. Surrendering just encourages the fainting flowers.

A drop of gold sent your way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Borchers
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even ignoring the remarks that shouldn't be in the first few sentences, I don't find it a helpful review because of the needless wordiness and the lack of detail on how the game actually plays. I'm on the fence about the game itself, and so I'll have to keep searching for better information before I make a decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeromey Martin
United States
Dallas
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skiprydell wrote:
Habbaku wrote:

If there is an easier way to remind me to ignore your future postings, I've yet to find it.

Excellent review, Mr Best. Resist the fascists, keep it just like it is. Surrendering just encourages the fainting flowers.

You sure showed me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Kahrl
United States
Unionville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mr_peabody wrote:
Even ignoring the remarks that shouldn't be in the first few sentences, I don't find it a helpful review because of the needless wordiness and the lack of detail on how the game actually plays. I'm on the fence about the game itself, and so I'll have to keep searching for better information before I make a decision.

I think you'll find the game is well worth your investment. The Blind Swords system is fun for the friction it creates, which also adds a lot of replay value while also helping control for the tough situation the Germans faced at Mars-la-Tour in particular. What it lacks in tactical detail (since it's a brigade-level riff), it more than makes up for in capturing the larger situation, and giving both sides imperfect control over their forces (but also means to overcome that friction or inertia).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I gave a thumbs up and some gg to the review because I thought it was well written, evocative of the era it represented and did not have an issue with the opening since it was just an introduction.

None of us have to agree with everything, even that religions are not racial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Wilson
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Habbaku wrote:
Skiprydell wrote:
Habbaku wrote:

You sure showed me.

Now that an excellent review has stirred up the usual thin skinned suspects, I like this game even more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
mbmbmbmbmb
Skiprydell wrote:
Habbaku wrote:

Wait, the way you resist fascists is libeling people based upon their religion? Guess FDR took us into war on the wrong side.

Fascists: not what you say they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
It may be my imagination, but it almost seems like a certain group of contributors have gathered in an attempt to generate enough excitement within this review discussion to trigger an "intervention" by you-know-who... instead of ignoring the awkward levity and moving on.

Then again, this is a website for people who enjoy games. All sorts of games.

Humor from an odd perspective can make some folks uncomfortable. I've seen numerous examples on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
It may be my imagination, but it almost seems like a certain group of contributors have gathered in an attempt to generate enough excitement within this review discussion to trigger an "intervention" by you-know-who... instead of ignoring the awkward levity and moving on.

Humor from an odd perspective can make some folks uncomfortable. I've seen numerous examples on BGG.

This an anticipated release by a large publisher; there does not seem to be an unusual level of activity, IMO. Moreover, the site’s rules clearly ban bigotry; if the rules are enforced, a single report would be sufficient. No need to posit a conspiracy for which there is no evidence to undertake an action that does not require more than one user!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Wilson
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
dirubin wrote:
pete belli wrote:

This an anticipated release by a large publisher; there does not seem to be an unusual level of activity, IMO. Moreover, the site’s rules clearly ban bigotry; if the rules are enforced, a single report would be sufficient. No need to posit a conspiracy for which there is no evidence to undertake an action that does not require more than one user!

Noting a fact regarding car burning in France is hardly bigotry. People need to grow up/lighten up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Kirschenbaum
United States
College Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was seriously thinking of reviewing this one for BATTLES and now I think I might have to just to see if I am up to the challenge of penning a few thousand words on a wargame set during the Franco-Prussian War absent the notation of facts regarding car burning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Borchers
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What interesting is googling "annual muslim youth festival France" doesn't yield any hits, it just mentions Great Britain (and no burning cars). I guess that fact is wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Borchers
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DiamondSylph wrote:
mr_peabody wrote:

I think you'll find the game is well worth your investment. The Blind Swords system is fun for the friction it creates, which also adds a lot of replay value while also helping control for the tough situation the Germans faced at Mars-la-Tour in particular. What it lacks in tactical detail (since it's a brigade-level riff), it more than makes up for in capturing the larger situation, and giving both sides imperfect control over their forces (but also means to overcome that friction or inertia).

Thanks Christina, I'll take that into consideration as I learn more about the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found these:

https://www.thelocal.fr/20180102/is-the-famous-french-tradit...

https://www.thelocal.fr/20180102/increase-in-new-years-eve-c...

and then this:

https://gellerreport.com/2018/04/muslism-riot-burn-attack-po...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Kahrl
United States
Unionville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, in the broad view, what do we have here? A sometimes entertaining, pointedly self-indulgent review. Beyond a heavy lean on ten-cent words that writes a check such prose can never cash, its comments about one brand of faith come from a transparently weak brand of humor. Har-dee-har. Har.

Ultimately, Besty perhaps tells us something about himself some of us may not like, while saying something about a game we can like. Good and bad, that's him.

If such is your inclination, hate the player, not the game. But don't we have enough hate these days?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wade
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DiamondSylph wrote:
Well, in the broad view, what do we have here? A sometimes entertaining, pointedly self-indulgent review. Beyond a heavy lean on ten-cent words that writes a check such prose can never cash, its comments about one brand of faith come from a transparently weak brand of humor. Har-dee-har. Har.

Ultimately, Besty perhaps tells us something about himself some of us may not like, while saying something about a game we can like. Good and bad, that's him.

If such is your inclination, hate the player, not the game.

I want say something clever but my brain fails me on a lazy Sunday morning, but if I did think of something it would be about this being yet another example from Ms CK of appropriate and perfect prose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Noble
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Comments were unnecessary and inappropriate.

Stupid rather than nasty I suspect
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.