8 Posts

Crystal Clans» Forums » Rules

Subject: Max opening summon? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, couldn't think of how else to put it.

Taking a step backward for a moment, when summoning units, do you pay per unit or per squad?

In other words, on a person's opening hand, with the initiative crystal at 0, can one summon an entire squad of 3 at once, sending the track all the way to 10, for example?

Or do you pay for one unit and then summon it, and then pay for a second unit (if you can) and summon it on top of the first?

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Levad
United States
Selah
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe you could do it either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Berman
United States
Jamison
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may summon up to 3 units as one action (as long as they are all being summoned to the same zone). You would pay the total cost for whatever you summon. So yes, you could potentially summon for 10 initiative as your opening move.

With the perfect card draw, you could actually spend 20 initiative in an opening action, although I'm not sure it's a good move strategically. I won't spoil the answer just yet. You can actually spend 21 in a single summon (just not from the opening move).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses.

Interesting. That is the way Rodney describes it on Watch It Played.

However, another YouTube channel, Socal Viking, plays it the other way, i.e., pay, summon, pay, summon - as soon as you're in your opponent's initiative, you're done.

Got me thinking... I might prefer that way, as then you could really appreciate each unit while still squadding up later on.

Hmm....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Berman
United States
Jamison
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you were paying individually, there would be no reason for the action to allow you to summon multiple units.

You don't evaluate whose turn it is until the current action is complete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I get what you're saying, but this way (maybe I'm thinking of something between the two styles) say you have 5 initiative (maybe we can shorten that to 5I lol).

You can summon a 4 cost and a 3 cost (which would take you into your opponent's initiative) but not an additional 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray S
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you pay for them one at a time then you would stop doing so as soon as the initiative track passes the neutral zone. You pay it all at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan D

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jtberman wrote:
With the perfect card draw, you could actually spend 20 initiative in an opening action, although I'm not sure it's a good move strategically. I won't spoil the answer just yet.

Because you presented the puzzle, I had to figure out how you would actually be able to spend 20 initiative on turn 1.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
First turn as Blood Clan, summon 3 Shamans (spend 3), top cards of the deck are Big (spend 8, since there are 3 units in play), Condor (spend 5), and Den Mother Gra (spend 4) for a total of 20!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.