Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Space Empires: Replicators» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question on Black Hole sling shots. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Edward

Talladaga
Alabama
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you move into a Black Hole and survive, and get the Sling Shot extra move into an Asteroid or nebula?

the rules say you can't enter an A or N unless your adjacent at the start of your move?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space is intentionally left empty]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robertthegamer wrote:
Can you move into a Black Hole and survive, and get the Sling Shot extra move into an Asteroid or nebula?

the rules say you can't enter an A or N unless your adjacent at the start of your move?
If you do not start the movement phase next to a nebula/asteroid you cannot enter it unless following a pipeline.
So no, even if you anounce you are using a slingshot and survive you cannot enter the nebula/asteroid unless you start adjacent to it, in which case why enter the black hole first?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
Robertthegamer wrote:
Can you move into a Black Hole and survive, and get the Sling Shot extra move into an Asteroid or nebula?

the rules say you can't enter an A or N unless your adjacent at the start of your move?
If you do not start the movement phase next to a nebula/asteroid you cannot enter it unless following a pipeline.
So no, even if you anounce you are using a slingshot and survive you cannot enter the nebula/asteroid unless you start adjacent to it, in which case why enter the black hole first?

This expansion does have a relevant rules clarification though:

page 3, Replicators rules wrote:
RULE CLARIFICATIONS FOR SPACE EMPIRES VERSION 1.1 and 1.2

...

4.2 A unit may not enter a hex with a face-down (unexplored) System marker, a Nebula or Asteroids, unless it starts its turn adjacent to it and moves into that hex as its first move.

So you can't start next to a Nebula and a Black Hole and sling shot into the Nebula through the Black Hole, even if you'd want to.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Related question:

Can I do more than one sling shot in different black holes for the +1 movement with a single counter? In order to get +2/+3 etc.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Upshaw
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
Robertthegamer wrote:
Can you move into a Black Hole and survive, and get the Sling Shot extra move into an Asteroid or nebula?

the rules say you can't enter an A or N unless your adjacent at the start of your move?
If you do not start the movement phase next to a nebula/asteroid you cannot enter it unless following a pipeline.
So no, even if you anounce you are using a slingshot and survive you cannot enter the nebula/asteroid unless you start adjacent to it, in which case why enter the black hole first?

This expansion does have a relevant rules clarification though:

page 3, Replicators rules wrote:
RULE CLARIFICATIONS FOR SPACE EMPIRES VERSION 1.1 and 1.2

...

4.2 A unit may not enter a hex with a face-down (unexplored) System marker, a Nebula or Asteroids, unless it starts its turn adjacent to it and moves into that hex as its first move.

So you can't start next to a Nebula and a Black Hole and sling shot into the Nebula through the Black Hole, even if you'd want to.



The Clarification was added due to the following type of question from one of the Replicator Playtesters.

Assume the following set up.
Hex F12 contains a SC from Player 1 that can move 2+ hexes this turn.
Hex G11 contains a MS Pipeline from Player 2.
Hex F11 contains a Nebula or Asteroid Counter.

Can the SC move into G11 and destroy the MS Pipeline and then move into F11 where it will be somewhat safe from immediate pursuit? The SC started adjacent to F11 and moved into it, it just did not do that first. Jim ruled that his intent was that you had to move into F11 as your first move, which would then in most cases stop any further movement of the SC.

In that example you see a reason to want to enter both the Black Hole Hex (G11 for our purposes) and the Nebula in the same turn.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Upshaw
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicholas M wrote:
Related question:

Can I do more than one sling shot in different black holes for the +1 movement with a single counter? In order to get +2/+3 etc.


That is a question that I do not remember seeing in the past.


I'd say that it was allowable provided that you pass a survival roll for each Black Hole that you use to sling shot. 60% of destruction for each Black Hole you enter should keep this under control.


Though Jim is both the game designer and uses Black Hole Sling Shot a lot more than I do so he might overrule me on this.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oliver is right!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Great thanks. Well, I only did this with the Space Pilgrims, but there my Black Hole Highway was great.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Edward

Talladaga
Alabama
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"So you can't start next to a Nebula and a Black Hole and sling shot into the Nebula through the Black Hole, even if you'd want to.[/q]"

I'm asking if they in a linear formation and not both adjacent?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Edward

Talladaga
Alabama
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicholas M wrote:
Great thanks. Well, I only did this with the Space Pilgrims, but there my Black Hole Highway was great.


When the moon is in the Seventh House
And Jupiter aligns with Mars, And If and when peace will guide the planets,
maybe love will steer the stars, will this be the dawning of the Age of Aquariuss and I, as, Space pilgrims can sling all the way across five Aprils through the Holes all the way to defeat my enemy in one fell swoop in a single turn!?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Edward

Talladaga
Alabama
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way the 5 of us play it is if there is a N or A in the hex one must stop and end your move there before entering a N or A hex, then the next turn one can enter a N or A hex, no matter what kind of special abilities.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Vena
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oliver Upshaw wrote:
The Clarification was added due to the following type of question from one of the Replicator Playtesters.


IIRC that was me as I used to do that all the time before the rules clarifications. arrrh
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Vena
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oliver Upshaw wrote:
Nicholas M wrote:
Related question:

Can I do more than one sling shot in different black holes for the +1 movement with a single counter? In order to get +2/+3 etc.


That is a question that I do not remember seeing in the past.

I'd say that it was allowable provided that you pass a survival roll for each Black Hole that you use to sling shot. 60% of destruction for each Black Hole you enter should keep this under control.


Probably didn't come up before as I'm guessing few people try it. I've definitely done it myself when trying to get that flanking move on my opponent. Good to know it's officially okay.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.