Street Fighter: The Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: I am a hypocrite for backing this rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maverick Delta
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I needed to post this here, mostly for myself.

Before continuing, I must mention this thread https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1979267/i-think-i-wont-keep... , where I must admit that I wholeheartedly understand and agree with the points raised.

I have backed several games in the past. My two favorites are Tiny Epic Galaxy and Steampunk Rally. I have also backed games that disappointed me personally. It may have had rave reviews, and I thought that I was going ro like it, bur Viceroy turned out not giving me that joy from a game. I am also not exceedingly rich.

So about this game... Yomi and BattleCon came before with similar simultaneous card reveal mechanics. But why am I more willing to back this?

As I write this, I am still thinking about it. It is so odd. I do not play fighting games, and, up to know, I made it a point to be wary of pledging too much money for a “first time” project. So why did this make me become a hypocrite?

1) It is a mind game
This is a mechanic that is quite popular with my gaming group. Shadow Hunter and Not Alone are current favorites. This SF game also appears to have that feel, trying to determine the other players’ cards.

2) Fighting game for more than 2 players
What drove me away from the previous fighting board games were the player count restriction. I rarely play 2-player games. Except for Netrunner, I would rather play solo if player count is below 3.

3) Esthetics
I will admit this one is untangible for now. What we saw are prototypes and 3D printed, not to mention that they are not yet mass produced, so what we have are mostly props that are “optimal” for a sales pitch. However, IF they manage to pull it off, the game will be an eyecatcher.

4) Leveling the playing field (i.e. I wanted to play but...)
This one surprised me. As a console gamer, I suck at any games that require reflex. I still have difficulty landing Mario on a koopa without getting killed. Needless to say, I suck at fighting games, but would watch friends play it.
This games would allow me to play a fighting game without being good at smashing buttons. I know that the feeling will be different from a vido game, but still, I always wanted to join the bandwagon of SF, BlazBlue, Guilty Gear, etc... in any shape or form... well, except live acrion movies...

5) Reputation
Angry Joe are very public personas. Unlike most game developers, they started a project while already having a fanbase. This does help them with getting a head start. We also know that they like the SF IP, and are willing to criticize Capcom for the sake of SF. Which means that a lot is on the line for them, enough that they should not slack off and screw up their chance. They should be proactive in fixing bugs and mechanics.

6) Risk and Journey
I can handle this level or risk. As totalbiscuitonce said, “pledge, then expect to get nothing in return.” If you cannot accept this, then do not back the project.

I am also intereted when where this is going. Probably because AngryJow s the underdog here. I want to see how players’ would wandle it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Bergenstråle
Sweden
Luleå
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have the money, I don't see any need for any other reason than "I want this". Also it's frickin street fighter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mlai00 Mlai00
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ironically, it is exactly because this is Street Fighter, which I love, that I do not want this game.

Because being a SF fan, and a miniatures fan, I have a certain preconception of what SF minis should look like. This game's minis design philosophy is completely at odds with my headcanon's. I... don't want it.

[Random SF Rant] And oh god, SFV's Ken is so fugly. WTF Capcom, why does he look like Steve Buscemi??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Molina
msg tools
mbmb
Mlai00 wrote:
Ironically, it is exactly because this is Street Fighter, which I love, that I do not want this game.

Because being a SF fan, and a miniatures fan, I have a certain preconception of what SF minis should look like. This game's minis design philosophy is completely at odds with my headcanon's. I... don't want it.

[Random SF Rant] And oh god, SFV's Ken is so fugly. WTF Capcom, why does he look like Steve Buscemi??

I'm just glad Joe went with classic Akuma and not Lion Akuma lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Vargas
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Suave wrote:
Mlai00 wrote:

Not a big fan of Lion Akuma either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maverick Delta
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mlai00 wrote:

Okay, it’s the look and pose of the minis that you do not agree with. Aside from Ken, what are the issues with the other characters?

Mlai00 wrote:

I dunno if Capcom are involved with mini designs. I know Hector Moran is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. P.
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
AngryJoeShow wrote:
Suave wrote:
Mlai00 wrote:

Not a big fan of Lion Akuma either.

Wow, dang. SFV Akuma looks badass as hell. I like most of SFV's design changes outside of Birdie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.