Myles Carey

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
Really enjoying the sense of imersion in OP + LE, feels like i an running two branches of space program via for resources - manned branch vs unmanned.

I am playing hard with scoring rules: 1/2 base game points, 1/2 outer (where non-explorable are mandatory).

I seem to fall into pattern: race ion/probes out to Jupiter/Saturn if I have non-explorable to make sure I have time to respond to extra revealed missions. Then in mid/late 70's I catch up on the base game missions especially if they have manned components - manned missions often finish up 85 or 86.

Curious how others' solo games with similar scoring rules unfold?

What a great game.

- Myles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skipper 2206
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I (almost) never try the manned missions ... Too much testings..

4/5 ions and a probe(explorer) and go far away baby !!
2 groups : one for jupiter and the other for Saturn (then Neptune & Uranus)

The only mission i don't like is the Jupiter Tour... Jupiter is so agressive with probes.. :/

Meanwhile i try the inner missions..but the unmanned ones...

You must reveal all the non explorable missions.. This is my first priority

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools
skipper2206 wrote:
I (almost) never try the manned missions ... Too much testings..

My hunch is that there really isn't enough cash in the game to get surety on at least some of the manned missions.

However, I'm figuring out that the rules have some very clever opportunities for reducing risk. For example, while testing life support outcomes is after the Action phase (sucks), getting the Life Support Advancement and 2-3 capsules up really early can help a lot. No need to buy out successes right away, let the Outcomes cycle for a few years while working on something else. Remember, capsules do not need to be manned for testing.

I'm sure I'll find other opportunities as I get more plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the difficulty, but I consider it optimal to first reveal the OP locations necessary to score the non-explorables (and not more if I can help it).
Manned missions to OP are possible, but you have to put much effort (time, money and planning) into them, and other missions might need to stay unfulfilled (especially other manned missions that are not on the way).
I managed to score the
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Saturn Station - or however Man in Orbit around Saturn or at one of its moons at start of the year is called
once in a very hard game.
That said I have tried to come up with rules that force the player to do some base game missions first, before you know which OP non-explorables you have, and it makes everything much harder. I have not yet finished the game, but from what I remember it would be at best a close call.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I get an outer planets survey craft on its way as soon as possible (1972 or 1976 I believe; going from memory).

In the lead up to that, I do all the base game missions, which generally gives you a chance to fully test everything you need for the late game (lat 10 years) of outer planet missions.

Scientists and space stations are your friends in the late game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.