Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Citrus» Forums » Rules

Subject: Two worker placement questions. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin W
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Sprechen Sie Talk?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1 when I build a new plantation do I have to place a worker there?

2 if the answer to 1 is yes, what is the scenario if I buy two tiles, a lime and a lemon plantation and I build both of these, but I only have 1 worker on my player board. Do I decide where he goes freely?

Thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonely Boardgamer
Lithuania
Vilnius
flag msg tools
1. Workers simply mark, that farms are yours. If you don't have a worker, you may put the plantation anywhere and it'll be neutral.

2. You must not buy tiles, if you can't put them anywhere. The game is very strict on that:

If you cannot pay for all the plantations in a row, or you cannot build them all, you may not buy that row.

But you may expand other player's farm or create a neutral region.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olav Fakkeldij
Netherlands
Beverwijk
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
czorny wrote:
1. Workers simply mark, that farms are yours. If you don't have a worker, you may put the plantation anywhere and it'll be neutral.

2. You must not buy tiles, if you can't put them anywhere. The game is very strict on that:

If you cannot pay for all the plantations in a row, or you cannot build them all, you may not buy that row.

But you may expand other player's farm or create a neutral region.
This is not correct imo. You can't start a neutral plantation and you can't expand other players farm. You can only expand your own farms and when you start a new plantation you have to place one of your own farmers on it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonely Boardgamer
Lithuania
Vilnius
flag msg tools
olavf wrote:
This is not correct imo. You can't start a neutral plantation and you can't expand other players farm. You can only expand your own farms and when you start a new plantation you have to place one of your own farmers on it.


Yeah, sorry, you can't expand other players region. I actually always thought the same way, that you MUST add the worker for a new region, but then I looked in the rules again and was a bit confused. The only quote I found is this:

When you begin a new plantation region, take the right-most worker from your player mat and place it onto the newly placed plantation. If you are expanding one of your regions, no further workers are necessary.

Not a word about situations, when you don't have the right-most worker.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
czorny wrote:
]Not a word about situations, when you don't have the right-most worker.


1. If you could expand an area not your own then there would almost never be a reason to take the penalty for an unplaceable tile.

2. Without ever using the word "must" it is still clear that there are only two ways to place a tile. Rules quote below with my highlight.


Start new plantations next to a Finca

You can build new plantations on the game
board in two ways:


* By placing adjacent a matching plantation that is
part of your own region (marked with one of your
workers).

* By starting a new region of plantations adjacent to
the road leading from a Finca. (On every Finca there
are 4 roads where new regions may be started.)


Workers mark your own regions

When you begin a new plantation region, take the right-most worker from your player mat and place it onto the newly
placed plantation
. If you are expanding one of your regions, no further workers are necessary.


2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonely Boardgamer
Lithuania
Vilnius
flag msg tools
TVis wrote:
When you begin a new plantation region, take the right-most worker from your player mat and place it onto the newly
placed plantation
. If you are expanding one of your regions, no further workers are necessary.


This still doesn't explain the situation, when no right-most worker is available. I also played like if you don't have enough workers, don't take tiles. But topic question is pretty valid and might require clarification.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lockard
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In this situation, you MUST move a worker from another finca to the new one you are starting.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olav Fakkeldij
Netherlands
Beverwijk
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
homtchr2013 wrote:
In this situation, you MUST move a worker from another finca to the new one you are starting.
Why? Where is it in the rules? In this case you are imo not allowed to place the plantation because you can't place a worker on it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played my first game today and we played that if you can't place a worker on all new plantations you place, you can't buy that row.

This seems to make the most sense based on the rules.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin W
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Sprechen Sie Talk?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
czorny wrote:
1. Workers simply mark, that farms are yours. If you don't have a worker, you may put the plantation anywhere and it'll be neutral.

2. You must not buy tiles, if you can't put them anywhere. The game is very strict on that:

If you cannot pay for all the plantations in a row, or you cannot build them all, you may not buy that row.

But you may expand other player's farm or create a neutral region.


With regards to Q2 i know that but my question wasn't in regards to that. If I buy 2 tiles, that I can afford and place but I only have one worker is it a free choice on which tile I place my last worker?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonely Boardgamer
Lithuania
Vilnius
flag msg tools
wi1ky wrote:
If I buy 2 tiles, that I can afford and place but I only have one worker is it a free choice on which tile I place my last worker?


If you mean, that you have 2 tiles, each of which can be added to your existing region, then yes, doesn't matter, which one you choose to start new region with and which will be added to existing farm.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wi1ky wrote:
If I buy 2 tiles, that I can afford and place but I only have one worker is it a free choice on which tile I place my last worker?

Your own wording here is not very precise but it does not seem that you are placing the two tiles together (which wouild be a proper placement). I interpret that you are suggesting to create two new and separate areas with only one pawn. As shown above, doing that is not supported by the rules.



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin W
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Sprechen Sie Talk?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
wi1ky wrote:
If I buy 2 tiles, that I can afford and place but I only have one worker is it a free choice on which tile I place my last worker?

Your own wording here is not very precise but it does not seem that you are placing the two tiles together (which wouild be a proper placement). I interpret that you are suggesting to create two new and separate areas with only one pawn. As shown above, doing that is not supported by the rules.





There is nothing written in the rules that state you cannot buy different coloured plantations. Therefore on a go I presume I can build two different plantations leading off any Finca. So if I buy 2 different tiles but only 1 worker left what can I legally do.

Nobody has mentioned above how this rules work. Some people have suggested rules that are no where written in the rules.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olav Fakkeldij
Netherlands
Beverwijk
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wi1ky wrote:
TVis wrote:
wi1ky wrote:
If I buy 2 tiles, that I can afford and place but I only have one worker is it a free choice on which tile I place my last worker?

Your own wording here is not very precise but it does not seem that you are placing the two tiles together (which wouild be a proper placement). I interpret that you are suggesting to create two new and separate areas with only one pawn. As shown above, doing that is not supported by the rules.





There is nothing written in the rules that state you cannot buy different coloured plantations. Therefore on a go I presume I can build two different plantations leading off any Finca. So if I buy 2 different tiles but only 1 worker left what can I legally do.

Nobody has mentioned above how this rules work. Some people have suggested rules that are no where written in the rules.
You can build 2 different coloured plantations, but only if you have a worker for each of them. If you only have one worker you should return one of the tiles and get a penalty (or better: not buy that line).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin W
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Sprechen Sie Talk?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
olavf wrote:
wi1ky wrote:
TVis wrote:
wi1ky wrote:
If I buy 2 tiles, that I can afford and place but I only have one worker is it a free choice on which tile I place my last worker?

Your own wording here is not very precise but it does not seem that you are placing the two tiles together (which wouild be a proper placement). I interpret that you are suggesting to create two new and separate areas with only one pawn. As shown above, doing that is not supported by the rules.





There is nothing written in the rules that state you cannot buy different coloured plantations. Therefore on a go I presume I can build two different plantations leading off any Finca. So if I buy 2 different tiles but only 1 worker left what can I legally do.

Nobody has mentioned above how this rules work. Some people have suggested rules that are no where written in the rules.
You can build 2 different coloured plantations, but only if you have a worker for each of them. If you only have one worker you should return one of the tiles and get a penalty (or better: not buy that line).


Ok thanks, I never noticed this in the rules, is it stated somewhere?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olav Fakkeldij
Netherlands
Beverwijk
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wi1ky wrote:
olavf wrote:
wi1ky wrote:
TVis wrote:
wi1ky wrote:
If I buy 2 tiles, that I can afford and place but I only have one worker is it a free choice on which tile I place my last worker?

Your own wording here is not very precise but it does not seem that you are placing the two tiles together (which wouild be a proper placement). I interpret that you are suggesting to create two new and separate areas with only one pawn. As shown above, doing that is not supported by the rules.





There is nothing written in the rules that state you cannot buy different coloured plantations. Therefore on a go I presume I can build two different plantations leading off any Finca. So if I buy 2 different tiles but only 1 worker left what can I legally do.

Nobody has mentioned above how this rules work. Some people have suggested rules that are no where written in the rules.
You can build 2 different coloured plantations, but only if you have a worker for each of them. If you only have one worker you should return one of the tiles and get a penalty (or better: not buy that line).


Ok thanks, I never noticed this in the rules, is it stated somewhere?
Bottom page 3: Only buy when you can build
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin W
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Sprechen Sie Talk?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
olavf wrote:
wi1ky wrote:
olavf wrote:
wi1ky wrote:
TVis wrote:
wi1ky wrote:
If I buy 2 tiles, that I can afford and place but I only have one worker is it a free choice on which tile I place my last worker?

Your own wording here is not very precise but it does not seem that you are placing the two tiles together (which wouild be a proper placement). I interpret that you are suggesting to create two new and separate areas with only one pawn. As shown above, doing that is not supported by the rules.





There is nothing written in the rules that state you cannot buy different coloured plantations. Therefore on a go I presume I can build two different plantations leading off any Finca. So if I buy 2 different tiles but only 1 worker left what can I legally do.

Nobody has mentioned above how this rules work. Some people have suggested rules that are no where written in the rules.
You can build 2 different coloured plantations, but only if you have a worker for each of them. If you only have one worker you should return one of the tiles and get a penalty (or better: not buy that line).


Ok thanks, I never noticed this in the rules, is it stated somewhere?
Bottom page 3: Only buy when you can build


Well that is clear but some of the rules are a little ambiguous. If it stated that you need to have a worker for every plantation then it's clear.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wi1ky wrote:
Well that is clear but some of the rules are a little ambiguous. If it stated that you need to have a worker for every plantation then it's clear.

Your own wording here is not very precise. In the rules a "plantation" refers to an individual tile (see example quote below). It does not make sense to require a worker for every individual tile.



1 Coin per plantation

Select a row from the market (marked with arrows) and buy
all the plantations from that row. Then pay 1 coin for each
plantation by moving your money marker back that many coins
on your player mat’s money track.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin W
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Sprechen Sie Talk?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
wi1ky wrote:
Well that is clear but some of the rules are a little ambiguous. If it stated that you need to have a worker for every plantation then it's clear.

Your own wording here is not very precise. In the rules a "plantation" refers to an individual tile (see example quote below). It does not make sense to require a worker for every individual tile.



1 Coin per plantation

Select a row from the market (marked with arrows) and buy
all the plantations from that row. Then pay 1 coin for each
plantation by moving your money marker back that many coins
on your player mat’s money track.



Just quoting the rule book doesn't help anybody.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olav Fakkeldij
Netherlands
Beverwijk
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It could have been ordered clearer, but I read it on page 4:

You can build new plantations on the game board in two ways:
- By placing adjacent a matching plantation that is part of your own region (marked with one of your workers). This one is clear, right?
- By starting a new region of plantations adjacent to
the road leading from a Finca. This combined with the next rule:

Workers mark your own regions
When you begin a new plantation region, take the right-most worker from your player mat and place it onto the newly placed plantation. If you are expanding one of your regions, no further workers are necessary.
2 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
olavf wrote:
It could have been ordered clearer, but I read it on page 4:

You can build new plantations on the game board in two ways:
- By placing adjacent a matching plantation that is part of your own region (marked with one of your workers). This one is clear, right?
- By starting a new region of plantations adjacent to
the road leading from a Finca. This combined with the next rule:

Workers mark your own regions
When you begin a new plantation region, take the right-most worker from your player mat and place it onto the newly placed plantation. If you are expanding one of your regions, no further workers are necessary.

Already noted above.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin W
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Sprechen Sie Talk?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
olavf wrote:
It could have been ordered clearer, but I read it on page 4:

You can build new plantations on the game board in two ways:
- By placing adjacent a matching plantation that is part of your own region (marked with one of your workers). This one is clear, right?
- By starting a new region of plantations adjacent to
the road leading from a Finca. This combined with the next rule:

Workers mark your own regions
When you begin a new plantation region, take the right-most worker from your player mat and place it onto the newly placed plantation. If you are expanding one of your regions, no further workers are necessary.


That makes so much more sense to me anyway, thanks.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.