Popular Tags: [View All]
Vincent Streuner
United States
Concord
North Carolina
flag msg tools
"Cambot! Gypsy! Tom Servo! Crooooow!"
badge
“Look at me! I’m dancin’! I’m dancin’!” (Claptrap)
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules sheet in the Classic Tak set briefly makes note of “Calling ‘Tak,’” which is part and parcel of the Courtly Tak described in the indispensable Tak Companion Book. Likewise described in the Companion Book is the practice of unwinding or “reeling back,” by which a player, with the consent of their opponent, can undo a number of moves in order to correct a past mistake. Compare this, conversely, to the games of tournament Tak recorded on YouTube; no calling “Tak,” no taking back moves, just pure test of skill to dominate the game.

Initially I dismissed these divers metas as mere window dressing, but as my wife and I began to dabble with unraveling we found this much more conducive to creating a truly beautiful game. During the course of play we traded what could be perceived as “soft wins,” so that regardless of who should win in the end, the defeated player has some sense of accomplishment in lieu of a sense of defeat. While this is obviously a matter of preference, we found it to make the game even more palatable. And thus Tak continues to demonstrate just how deceptively deep it truly is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Moore
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pompous court players... always putting on airs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The way we have approached it: if someone makes an obvious "give the game away" move, then we do allow it to be replayed. Rewinding whole sets of moves -- mmm, that's a bit too much trouble to track. I value "simple" over "beautiful" -- I guess that makes me more of a peasant! arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would so love to possess such high sportmanship to call Tak at each time I am about to win.

But I am so weak blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TPoG
Denmark
flag msg tools
ISBN: 1-85723-146-5
badge
Hmm...
mbmbmbmbmb
capricorn_tm wrote:
I would so love to possess such high sportmanship to call Tak at each time I am about to win.

But I am so weak blush

On the other hand, I have tried 8x8 Courtly Tak - i.e. calling Tak when playing the 8 x 8 variant. Very long game! I can recommend to add a chess clock in such games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Courtney
United States
Guilford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
orangeblood wrote:
Pompous court players... always putting on airs.

“... but noblesse oblige is an emotion felt only by those who are noble.” - Star, Glory Road

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesbook wrote:
The way we have approached it: if someone makes an obvious "give the game away" move, then we do allow it to be replayed. Rewinding whole sets of moves -- mmm, that's a bit too much trouble to track. I value "simple" over "beautiful" -- I guess that makes me more of a peasant! arrrh

Next you'll be making bread from acorns wtf!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Wochinski
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Courtly Tak is super fun and really lets you explore the beauty available in a game of Tak.

Most of the Tak you see on YouTube is straight up competitive, with winning being the goal. It's just not feasible to enforce a rule that you have to call "Tak." I know I sometimes miss even my own threats, so a person could hardly call them.

I generally prefer Tavern style (not calling), but I much more willingly give take-backs in an in-person game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.