4 Posts

Star Trek: Ascendancy – Borg Assimilation» Forums » Rules

Subject: Borg collective efficiency rule clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Moulton
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a game with the Borg last night, and a player was assimilated by the Borg and got to play as the Borg, this player was able to position the cubes in such a way that they would be reactivated again in a single turn due to to collective efficiency.

It became clear that this was having a chain reaction, whereby 4 out of 5 cubes had already been activated, and the 5th cube then stopped in a sector before cube 4 blocking it from continuing forwad. Thus setting off collective efficiency. The player then begins activating cube 4, does space battle(if possible), and draws a command card. Turns out this command card moves the cube toward a player, but cube 3 is in the way, so it stops. and activates cube 3, and so on and so on. Have we been playing this correctly? Or should the Borg cube open up new space lanes in this example? We have been playing by the official rules, and are considering implementing the Star Trek Ascendancy Unofficial Borg Fixes but still this collective efficiency has us wondering whether we have been playing correctly.

We are playing again tonight, so want to make sure our next game is smoother when it comes to this particular rule.

Collective efficiency rule for reference:
Sectors may not contain more than one Cube. If a Cube’s
movement would have it end in the same Sector as
another Cube, stop in the Sector before the Cube already
occupying the Sector. After the moving Cube’s actions
are complete, activate the stationary Cube, even if it has
already gone this turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The collective efficiency rule makes the Borg more dangerous when an assimilated player can choose the order of activation. This works the same in the fixed rules.

Note that only the Cube in the sector where the moving Cube would have to stop is activated. Also note that Cubes can fly through sectors with other Cubes. This still means that collective efficiency is dangerous, but perhaps not as dangerous as first thought.

The fixed rules mainly address the facts that there are many situations not covered by the original rules and that the Borg will almost exclusively target one (random) player, destroying the balance of the game.

May I also recommend the Unofficial Complete Rulebook which also includes the Borg fixes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Moulton
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, that does help us into our next game. One final question, I presume when that cube is activated again via Collective efficiency, we go through the normal space battles > draw a command card > assimilate.

So I assume that if the command card drawn for this reactivated cube happens to be a move all cubes, this then could potentially reactivate cubes as well provided that there is no valid movement/blocked etc?

I have been reading through the Unoffical Complete Rulebook today, going to suggest it to my gaming buddies later today, thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I can tell, all your assumptions are correct.

Hope they agree! Tell us how it goes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.