Subject: Heroscape like game that is in print rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Seth R
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
All,

I'm looking for a miniatures game that doesn't require a lot of custom building of terrain, painting of miniatures, etc that is family friendly and family affordable. I have 4 kids aged 10 to 15 (both boys and girls).

Heroscape seems to fit the exact space I'm looking for, but due to it being discontinued many years ago it seems to be either very difficult to find or very expensive and often both!

Does anyone have recommendations for games with similar mechanics and features to Heroscape but that is still available?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should be able to find Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers and its expansions on the cheap. It seems WotC has stopped supporting it, but it is still available. It is very similar to Heroscape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't play HeroScape but wanted the terrain for other tabletop projects. I was able to scrounge quite a bit of "common" HeroScape terrain (green, brown, gray) from ebay (mostly from parted out or lots, not complete boxed sets which cost a lot more). The fancy stuff like ice, snow, sparkly water, lava, road, castle harder to find cheap and in large quantities (though some folks have bought the cheaper terrain tiles and repainted). There was also a kickstarter a few years ago that made HS-like terrain but different colors and design.

For the minis, if you can stand it you could use proxies ... there are many cheap figure options out there, but hard to get close on all of them. E.g. there's a HeroScape Gorilla unit you could proxy with Dust Tactics gorillas , for orcs you could find old Mage Knight clix, etc. Other units like Marro would be tougher to find a proxy for.

For unit stats, if can't find the cards, not sure if there are scans or stats listings out there.

The fansite heroscapers.com may also be helpful with the above, or good alternatives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Skirmish_Tactics wrote:
You should be able to find Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers and its expansions on the cheap. It seems WotC has stopped supporting it, but it is still available. It is very similar to Heroscape.

+1 to above. I think the expansions really flesh out the game options but the game, including the opposing dice roll combat mechanism is nearly identical to Heroscape. I bought the base game and both expansions on Amazon for about $25.00.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The earlier suggestion (MtG Arena of the Planeswalkers) is probably the best one.

But if for some reason it is not of interest, X-Wing might be a decent fit. Pre-painted, minimal (and usually flat) terrain, easy to find, and family accessible. It may well fall afoul of the "very expensive" problem, though, depending on how big a game you want to support.

(Star Trek: Attack Wing might also work, but the rules interactions push up the difficulty level on that one.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth R
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Skirmish_Tactics wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. I do prefer a fantasy/magic theme, and will look into that one. Though if it is no longer supported I'd be in a situation where no expansions/replacement parts are available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside from Arena, look into cheap or free rulesets, where you supply your own miniatures. Song of Blades and Heroes is inexpensive for under $10. However, it might not be a good fit, since you have no games... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth R
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Bwian wrote:
But if for some reason it is not of interest, X-Wing might be a decent fit. Pre-painted, minimal (and usually flat) terrain, easy to find, and family accessible. It may well fall afoul of the "very expensive" problem, though, depending on how big a game you want to support.

(Star Trek: Attack Wing might also work, but the rules interactions push up the difficulty level on that one.)

I actually think having 3d terrain would be more fun - makes the scene more realistic though may result in more complicated rules. I do prefer fantasy themed games but at least one kid is a Star Wars fanatic and would certainly push for a Star Wars universe game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple things.

I am fairly invested in Heroscape. the Magic suggestion is good except a couple things.

Arena of the Planeswalkers is a direct clone of the Heroscape with a few exceptions:

One the "terrain" included is laughably useless. Base game heroscape came with 100's of terrain pieces. Magic comes with almost none (maybe five) and then a bunch of cardboard terrain maps.

Two the "Magic" system is really cool. It adds an element of spells that can effect the game more than the base Heroscape game. This does tend to make it all about one character though, your planes walker, and if that unit dies it really hampers your abilities.

My suggestion is look for Rise of Valykeries Heroscape base set. I think you can still pick them up for about $60 and they have a ton of replay ability. If you like it then you can pick up the Magic base and expansions. and youll have a lot of good terrain to use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Skirmish_Tactics wrote:

I think this has been on clearance at Barnes and Noble in the past for dirt cheap. Might be worth checking the clearance bins of your local B&N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Battlelore still alive and kicking?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another recommendation for Arena of the Planewalkers. Sets could be found for as low as $4 recently. You can pick up a couple of copies of everything, and then get some Heroscape terrain to supplement what you'll get in AotP.

You can find plenty on eBay, but I recommend All Things Heroscape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josef Estabrooks
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TedW wrote:

No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
MacavityandMycroft wrote:
TedW wrote:

No.

It is still available at their online store front...so not totally dead, but I doubt we'll see anything else for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:
TedW wrote:

No.

It is still available at their online store front...so not totally dead, but I doubt we'll see anything else for it.

Depends what is meant by "kicking". I never had the sense that FFG would create expansions for it - but the fact that is it is still being sold is a Good Sign. OTOH, its FFG who are always after the "next big thing", so buy it while you can!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesbook wrote:
Syvanis wrote:
TedW wrote:

No.

Depends what is meant by "kicking". I never had the sense that FFG would create expansions for it - but the fact that is it is still being sold is a Good Sign. OTOH, its FFG who are always after the "next big thing", so buy it while you can!

Even if FFG doesn't support it anymore, it's a good time to buy. I've picked up 1 of everything in the last 3 months after finding the base game on sale for $20 at my FLGS. The only difficult thing to find was the Hernfar expansion and still managed to snag a copy for 30% off.

That being said, MTG Arena of the Planeswalkers is even cheaper and still easy to find. With the expansions, there's plenty there to satisfy kids. I prefer Battlelore 2e, but my 13 yr old really likes MTG AotP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth R
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Syvanis wrote:
My suggestion is look for Rise of Valykeries Heroscape base set. I think you can still pick them up for about $60 and they have a ton of replay ability. If you like it then you can pick up the Magic base and expansions. and youll have a lot of good terrain to use.

Apparently my googleFu level is too low to find any Heroscape stuff for $60 - most sites I've found it on are around $200 to $300 for a base/master set. A couple of eBay options are in the mid $100s.

I do appreciate the comparison/contrast with Arena of the Planeswalkers; sounds like that might be the best way to get started.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think AotPW is designed so that drafting multiples of the same squads are not required to maximize the synergies and in fact are prohibited by the rules. When I was an H-scaper I'd buy 3 of every common squad.

But I think you do need both expansions for variety and to maximize replayability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth R
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Bwian wrote:

Sorry - another follow-up to this suggestion. I saw a recent 'Watch it Played' episode of Star Wars: Legion and that seemed to be closer to Heroscape than X-Wing.

Are you familiar with both Legion and X-Wing? If so, I'd like to know what makes X-Wing better than Legion (or more recommendable)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
magiclantern wrote:
Bwian wrote:

Sorry - another follow-up to this suggestion. I saw a recent 'Watch it Played' episode of Star Wars: Legion and that seemed to be closer to Heroscape than X-Wing.

Are you familiar with both Legion and X-Wing? If so, I'd like to know what makes X-Wing better than Legion (or more recommendable)?

I am unfortunately not familiar with Legion: I’m not really looking for another “Heroic Skirmish” game at this point. However, it does require assembly and painting of miniatures, along with making terrain. You were trying to avoid those in the OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Krosmaster: Arena? There is even a kids version: Krosmaster Junior. Not the same thing as Heroscape of course, but it is a miniatures fighting game and it has plenty of kids appeal with its anime aesthetic. Take a look at some reviews to see if it might be for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Skirmish_Tactics wrote:

I think this has been on clearance at Barnes and Noble in the past for dirt cheap. Might be worth checking the clearance bins of your local B&N.

Some Toy R Us stores have them as well for around $10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth R
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Bwian wrote:
However, it does require assembly and painting of miniatures, along with making terrain. You were trying to avoid those in the OP.

Doh! Forgot the details of my own post that started this thread. Guess I got carried away by the game play videos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.