Subject: Palp rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Gibson
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can someone explain to me in layman’s terms how Palpatine works? I believe it’s once per round and you name a die result. When attacking would you just call CRIT and on defense Call Evade? I realize there’s a chance that it could be canceled by defense die and potentially wasted that turn. Am I just overthinking it and it’s really that simple?

I listen to a lot of x wing podcasts, but and not quite up on all the lingo and some of these things go over my head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres K
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
One time before you roll dice you name a result. Regardless of what you roll, you turn one die to that side.
E.g. you name evade before you roll defence dice. Then roll all evades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on the age of the podcast or video you are learning from, the rules may or may not be current.

The original way Palpatine worked was you waited until after you rolled and then you could change something. One easy example would be flying over an asteroid. Let's say your ship flies over a rock, which requires you to roll a red (combat) die. On a blank or focus, nothing happens. On a hit or a crit, you take damage.

Old rules: you roll, wait to see if you roll a hit or crit, and then say, "I'm going to change that result to a miss."

New rules: before you roll, you say, "I'm going to use Palpatine to make sure this is a miss." Then you roll. If you rolled a miss, you wasted Palpatine's once-per-round ability. If you rolled a hit (or crit) you were able to change it.

The old rules were far more flexible because you didn't use Palpatine's ability unless you knew it made a difference. The new rules require you to be a bit more strategic in your planning.

Ultimately you can apply Palpatine's ability to nearly any die roll (red or green) and most situations. There are a few edge cases that people like to argue about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Gibson
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you for the clarification! I just couldn't accept it was that simple I guess. I usually don't go back and listen more than a month back on podcasts. I really just started to listen to them recently. I used to be young and cool (you always are in your mind ) But I'm 51 now and it takes me a while to keep up on the lingo. I have fallen for this game along with my 14 year old son. The MISTAKES WERE MADE cartoon definately applies to me. Including a big purchase today that we had to hide from momma. I swear I only went in to buy 3 ships. On the bright side, the store owner told me his C-ROC cruiser had been sitting there for a long time and he wanted it gone. Sold it to me for $35. I'm sure my wife won't notice a huge ship on the crowded shelf that held an X-wing and two TIE's less than a year ago.

The answers are greatly appreciated!!!

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Alexander
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shootsahoyt wrote:
Thank you for the clarification! I just couldn't accept it was that simple I guess.

There is one more wrinkle that many players miss. Since he says "After rolling", you have to make the change immediately after rolling, before any of the standard Modify Dice steps begin. (bottom of FAQ p. 5: rules read the same whether the word "immediately" is there or not) That means you can't do something like spend a Target Lock to reroll two blanks first, get blank+hit, then Palp the blank in the reroll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Gibson
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kiteserpent wrote:
shootsahoyt wrote:
Thank you for the clarification! I just couldn't accept it was that simple I guess.

There is one more wrinkle that many players miss. Since he says "After rolling", you have to make the change immediately after rolling, before any of the standard Modify Dice steps begin. (bottom of FAQ p. 5: rules read the same whether the word "immediately" is there or not) That means you can't do something like spend a Target Lock to reroll two blanks first, get blank+hit, then Palp the blank in the reroll.

Ok, I can start to see the different possibilities now. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arch Bond
Australia
flag msg tools
Hmm could you use the target lock to reroll and THEN use the palp on the reroll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swampy Crocker
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arch71 wrote:
Hmm could you use the target lock to reroll and THEN use the palp on the reroll?

No. Rolling and re-rolling are explicitly different game effects. Rolling is the initial roll of the dice, re-rolling is a modification of that. I had this discussion with an opponent at a SC last year. Just because you are performing the same physical act does not mean it is the same in-game act.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.