11 Posts

Tanks: Panther vs Sherman» Forums » General

Subject: A few questions for experienced players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
pascal villeneuve
Canada
flag msg tools
I recently took the plunge, having great interest in a game which seems as simple (or perhaps more) than Star Wars : X-Wing, and grabs my interest in WW2 Tanks. However, I still have a few questions, and despite a few attempts elsewhere, this seems to be the only forum about this game which seems to still have some activity :

1. Are there individual and comparative reviews of each tank somewhere ? My search yielded nothing and I wish to build my pool of tank to keep it as balanced as possible.

2. Are there tanks you consider essentials per factions ? I aim to build all 4 countries (excluding Italians until further releases) so that 3 of my friends and I can each choose one and have 4 player games.

3. Are there imbalance issues or certain playstyles favored more than others ? (Few heavy tanks vs a ton of small tanks, upgrade heavy vs upgrade light, etc.). So far, British tanks seem to have low durability, which seems counter-intuitive to semi-indirect fire.

4. Are there scenarios which you recommend other than a simple deathmatch ?

Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Edit : This is also my first post on Board Game Geek forums. If my post is out of line, be it by nature or form, I would greatly appreciate comments so that I can correct it to the standards of the website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The scenarios in the rules are pretty good, and there are more available that came with organized play kits.

I would say to just pick a couple of countries you like, and then build those up tank by tank as you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a couple of scenarios:

The Withdrawal at Benghazi

Siege of Tobruk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeus Cat

Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In general the heavy tanks, like the Tiger, seem to be the best since they can take a lot of punishment and also deal a lot of damage. However, they are expensive in terms of purchase points. Medium tanks, like the Sherman, are a step down in armor and hitting power, but they are significantly cheaper in points and you can make up for their inferiority by fielding more of them and outmaneuvering and overwhelming the heavies.

The game is simple, but strategies in terms of movement, initiative and using cover can really effect the outcome. My experience is that the lighter the tank the more it needs to move each turn. Since you add movement points to your defensive rolls you don't have the luxury of sitting still if you are a light tank.

If a player has a mix of tanks and assault guns I concentrate on taking out the heavy tank(s) first. Once they are gone you can get behind or do side shots on the assault guns and ruin their day.

A mediocre tank can be upgraded with a crew member or two or a special ability to make it pretty good.

Use cover, buildings and even other tanks to hide behind. Make yourself hard to hit and try to minimize cover for your opponents.

GF9 quit supporting their own forum as spam just overwhelmed them. They moved to Facebook and have a forum there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeus Cat

Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you know someone with a 3D printer there are a fair number of models you can print for next to nothing. The printed ones aren't as good as the GF9 models, but they are decent.

This is a good place to look for printable vehicles: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:769137
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What scale should the tanks be to fit this game?
If you can us the tanks from the game Memoir '44, some are sold regular on ebay as spare parts. Think they are in 1/200 scale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If 1/100 or 1/200 is good for you, look here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pascal villeneuve
Canada
flag msg tools
Many thanks to you, Marc Nelson Jr., for the link to those scenarios. As for your previous post, I aim to build all 4 countries at the same time, not only a select few, and searched for individual review to see if some of them are barely useable (balance-wise).

Thank you for the link to the STL files for the tanks, Zeus Cat. I will receive a printer around june, so it will prove handy. Concerning you first post, I know the basics (tanks that cost less have lesser stats, upgrades improve efficiency, etc.), but I was asking more out of concern that mechanics made a certain playstyle clearly more efficient than another.

While many will surely appreciate the information you brought, René Christensen, I already knew about the scale of the tanks (1/100) and am fully aware that many alternatives can be explored, like Axis and Allies, Zvezda, and a few others listed in the very thorough spreadsheet named Tanks_1.4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeus Cat

Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Galimar89 wrote:
Thank you for the link to the STL files for the tanks, Zeus Cat. I will receive a printer around june, so it will prove handy. Concerning you first post, I know the basics (tanks that cost less have lesser stats, upgrades improve efficiency, etc.), but I was asking more out of concern that mechanics made a certain playstyle clearly more efficient than another.

I haven't seen one style dominate. Each player has the same amount of points to spend. Each style has good and bad points. Once you start taking hits and losing vehicles is when strategy really counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pascal villeneuve
Canada
flag msg tools
Zeuscat wrote:
I haven't seen one style dominate. Each player has the same amount of points to spend. Each style has good and bad points. Once you start taking hits and losing vehicles is when strategy really counts.

I am really glad that strategy seems to be the game changing factor. Thanks a lot for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfonso Zamora
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
the Americans have Gung Ho, which makes a huge difference.
Im a big fan of scenarios. OP kits from BF9 increases these types of games.
Historic or semihistoric scenarios, with determinated tanks (something similar to Early, Mid or Late) and only you can put upgrades, adding some rules like FOW (Tea Time, initial Bailed Out for Crews, Ambush with priority initiative, reserves entering with a roll of dice). Taking ideas of Flames of War and Axis&Allies miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.