Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Feudum» Forums » Rules

Subject: Are resources limited? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fabrizio N
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I don't think so
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a very good 4 players session at Feudum last night.
Three landscapes were out, 2 of which were sulfur mines and because of that we ended up not having enough sulfur cubes for the replenish phase. For this time, right or wrong, I used the squirrels as replacement.

I was wondering however what is the official rule in case of resources running out? Finding a substitute or not?

I don't think it is mention anywhere in the rulebook, a part for a brief passage at page 17: "Note: There are limited resources in the game and a shortage may weaken or prevent a guild action."
However this maybe referring to King's seals, influence markers and so on.

We were also very close from finishing the King's seals too, so I can't imagine with 6 players.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Mitchell
United States
Snyder
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll copy paste an answer Mark has given on this topic:

4. When a Writ card gives you goods, influence markers, rosary beads, king's seals or vessels from the supply but the supply is empty, can you take them from a guild?

NO, THEY MUST BE DRAWN FROM THE (GENERAL) SUPPLY. PAGE 17 INDICATES THAT THERE ARE "LIMITED RESOURCES IN THE GAME."


This seems that goods are limited as well. Shortages of certain goods can disrupt another players use of the guilds .. and can be a secondary benefit from hoarding onto a landscape tile. The many levels of strategy in this game ...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frost

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
In light of the limitations in number and use of words like "general supply" and "personal supply", it would appear that they are.

There are 30 Sulphur cubes. The "Replenish Landscapes" (dawn of all epochs) is the 3rd activity once a new epoch is triggered. You'd replenish the landscapes as evenly as you could but players would know that if the Sulphur cubes are depleted that might influence their decisions as to when their tending Serf(s) might want to collect from a landscape.

See, for example, the Influence markers. Each player has 20. Some in their personal supply, some in the general supply, some on the board, and some in the Knight's Guild. IF you have a Knight pawn, per the Reinforcements rule on p. 12,

"you may also collect 1 influence marker from the general supply, or from the Knight Guild if the general supply is depleted."

This is a specified exception to the normal rules on limitations regarding pieces. But if you don't have a Knight Pawn, then you can't do this and are limited in how you can acquire more influence markers. IF you are depleted in your general supply, then you have none available. Unless and until you buy any you have in the Knight Guild.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrizio N
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I don't think so
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel it's probably as you guys said.
I guess it makes it for more interesting choices.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Todea
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I sort of agree resources are limited, but how would you pick between replenishing players sulphur mines if not enough resources in the supply? Randomly, in turn order, spread as equally as possible?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrizio N
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I don't think so
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tzutzy wrote:
I sort of agree resources are limited, but how would you pick between replenishing players sulphur mines if not enough resources in the supply? Randomly, in turn order, spread as equally as possible?


I guess the fairest way would be to spread as equally as possible, but I also guess we need a word from Mark on this.
Nearly all other example of resources distribution are random draws in the game, so I wouldn't be surprised if it should be the same again here.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say if there are 2 sulphur mines out and say 3 sulphur cubes left, they each get one, and one goes back in the sack.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboardjunkie wrote:
I would say if there are 2 sulphur mines out and say 3 sulphur cubes left, they each get one, and one goes back in the sack.


What about simple turn order?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark swanson
United States
Columbia
mo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Axiomystical wrote:
We had a very good 4 players session at Feudum last night.
Three landscapes were out, 2 of which were sulfur mines and because of that we ended up not having enough sulfur cubes for the replenish phase. For this time, right or wrong, I used the squirrels as replacement.

I was wondering however what is the official rule in case of resources running out? Finding a substitute or not?

I don't think it is mention anywhere in the rulebook, a part for a brief passage at page 17: "Note: There are limited resources in the game and a shortage may weaken or prevent a guild action."
However this maybe referring to King's seals, influence markers and so on.

We were also very close from finishing the King's seals too, so I can't imagine with 6 players.


@Fabrizio N: The limited resources rule is firm. No substitute resources are allowed. During landscape replenishment, you fully replenish a player's landscapes IN TURN ORDER, before moving to the next person. The principle of Occam's razor seems to apply here. All actions are done in turn order; therefore, all thus all steps/phases that govern these actions are done in turn order.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrizio N
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I don't think so
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
markswanson wrote:
Axiomystical wrote:
We had a very good 4 players session at Feudum last night.
Three landscapes were out, 2 of which were sulfur mines and because of that we ended up not having enough sulfur cubes for the replenish phase. For this time, right or wrong, I used the squirrels as replacement.

I was wondering however what is the official rule in case of resources running out? Finding a substitute or not?

I don't think it is mention anywhere in the rulebook, a part for a brief passage at page 17: "Note: There are limited resources in the game and a shortage may weaken or prevent a guild action."
However this maybe referring to King's seals, influence markers and so on.

We were also very close from finishing the King's seals too, so I can't imagine with 6 players.


@Fabrizio N: The limited resources rule is firm. No substitute resources are allowed. During landscape replenishment, you fully replenish a player's landscapes IN TURN ORDER, before moving to the next person. The principle of Occam's razor seems to apply here. All actions are done in turn order; therefore, all thus all steps/phases that govern these actions are done in turn order.


Thanks for clearing this up Mark.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.